Gas bottles change from Spanish fittings (1 Viewer)

basher

Free Member
Apr 1, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi folks

After many years away form motor caravaning weve just purchased an 1997 Niesmann & Bishoff Flair 6.3S.
Its in very clean for the year and we are just having sort out a few little things like changing the gas bottles from Spanish to calor gas. Its got the duomatic system.Any ideas? They were done quite recently and are 50mb.
Also the blinds needs retensioning but otherall shes been well looked after.

Heres hoping for a good summer for us all take care for now.

Vinnie

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Are you sure the bottles are Spanish and not German. The reason I ask is that my last 2 vans have been German imports and are both 50mb. What colour are the bottles.

OP
OP
B

basher

Free Member
Apr 1, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi
Thanks for the reply.
Yes there Spanish alright. I went to spain to buy it and there Cepsa and are red plastic around the top and then light grey.

Regards

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
How are you running the van at 50mb. The Spanish regulator is 30mb. My van is a German import and it runs at the old German standard of 50mb. I keep the German regulators as all the appliances are jetted at 50mb. I also keep the German bottles and fill them. You can of course go onto Calor bottles as they are the same left hand fitting. Its not a problem for me as I have an LPG tank as well as the 2 X 11kg German bottles.

OP
OP
B

basher

Free Member
Apr 1, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi
The regulators are 50mb on the duomatic system. Do you know if its possible to have one butane and one protane cylinder with this system.

Regards

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi
The regulators are 50mb on the duomatic system. Do you know if its possible to have one butane and one protane cylinder with this system.

Regards

I have the duomatic system, but never use it as I like to know when a bottle has run out. The duomatic if switched on will change over automatically when one bottle runs out. Your system should have 1 green and 1 red regulator, which screws directly onto the bottles. The only way they will work on a Spanish bottle is by using a Spanish regulator with a red screw knob on the top. In effect you are then running through 2 regulators, which is not advisable. You have 2 choices therefore. One is fit refillable bottles or get hold of 2 Calor blue bottles and an adaptor and fill your own. The choice is of course yours. German and Calor blue bottles are the same fitting as are Moroccan bottles. Your 50 mb regulators should work fine with these. If you go down the refillable route, which ever system you use there should be no problem with freezing up of the gas as its mainly propane.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
My Hymer has the duo-matic system. I purchased two adaptors that go between the bottle and the duo-matic fittings. I have propane or clip-on Calor. The standard duo-matic will fit a 4.5kg Calor butane (little blue) bottle.

I have now fitted a gas tank and a BBQ point. I can run any bottle on the system through the BBQ point and a local regulator.

The tank system is 50mbar but I have also used a Spanish bottle on a 28mbar regulator with no problems on any of the appliances. (I do turn the tank supply off first)

John

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I have the duomatic system, but never use it as I like to know when a bottle has run out. The duomatic if switched on will change over automatically when one bottle runs out. Your system should have 1 green and 1 red regulator, which screws directly onto the bottles. The only way they will work on a Spanish bottle is by using a Spanish regulator with a red screw knob on the top. In effect you are then running through 2 regulators, which is not advisable. You have 2 choices therefore. One is fit refillable bottles or get hold of 2 Calor blue bottles and an adaptor and fill your own. The choice is of course yours. German and Calor blue bottles are the same fitting as are Moroccan bottles. Your 50 mb regulators should work fine with these. If you go down the refillable route, which ever system you use there should be no problem with freezing up of the gas as its mainly propane.

You can buy a fitting that looks like a regulator for a Spanish bottle. It is just an adaptor not a regulator so you are not running through two regulators back to back.

John

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi John. When I fitted a new Electrolux fridge into my FFB it was only available in the UK with the 28mb jet. Electrolux advised me it should not be run at 50mb so I had to buy a reducer. They also said that a 50mb jet should not be run at 28mb.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Hi John. When I fitted a new Electrolux fridge into my FFB it was only available in the UK with the 28mb jet. Electrolux advised me it should not be run at 50mb so I had to buy a reducer. They also said that a 50mb jet should not be run at 28mb.

I was also supplied with a 50mbar to 28mbar reducer when I bought a new Truma heater. I gave it to the dealer that was to fit the heater and received it back in the same box untouched. The heater has run on 50mbar and 28mbar without any problems for the last 4 years. The old heater had been flooded by rainwater ingress not a gas problem.

My Electrolux fridge was factory fitted by Hymer and on the label inside it says 28mbar but Hymer fit it using a 50mbar regulator. Again after 20 years it is still going fine.

I mentioned this reducer to Chris at Autogas2000 and he asked me to show him it as he hadn't seen one. He photographed it and its box. I still have it with me unused.

I was a bit unsure at first but have experienced no problems with any of the appliances. I have had a number of habitation checks done that include checking the gas system and no none has found fault with the installation.

John

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

basher

Free Member
Apr 1, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi

Many thanks for taking the time to help out.

At least i doesnt seem to dificult a task.

:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back