martin & shirley

martin & shirley

Free Member
Jun 3, 2010
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth Wheel
When i first got the bottles i went along to BP but they said only tanks in vehicles could be filled.I then found a local garage that sold autogas but there nozzle did not have the lever you pull back it just seemed to push over the lugs and twist on even the garage fitter could not get it to fit.I then went back to BP spoke to a different member of staff who said as long as they were designed to be filled he could not see a problem.
As this was my first time at doing this i was a little unsure so screwed in adaptor connected pump and opened gas valve on bottle,pressed in red button on pump and started to fill upon reaching 21 litres pump cuts out so i assumed it was full and as there had been no big BANG i decided to leave it at that.
If any knows if this is right or wrong i would be gratefull.
Price was 65.9 pence a litre.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
that s the way .not at all difficult and i,m sure you are happy you did it.
have fun .none of us is too old to learn ,you will be looking to fill others now.
cheers alan.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Would like to read this aswell. I have an adaptor but as of yet not been to fill the cylinder up yet. It's like your first date, a bit of first time nerves. (NO darling I didn't compare our first date with filling the gas cylinder)

if your first date smelt like that ya doin something wrong:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:is it safer if you use a dutch cup

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
ok , still some confusion , but no worries !!

you said each bottle cost approx £17.50 to fill which sounded like too much gas to me !

however 21 litre at 65.9 is £13.80 , so if that is what you paid sounds correct

you say that the pump stopped at 21 litres which sounds like you have a cut off valve and not the 80% bleed off vent , which is fine ...23 litres would be 80% on a 11.5 Kg bottle so you certainly haven't overfilled

the other place you went to the pistol didn't have a locking lever ? I have used this system for the thick end of 20 years and never seen one without a locking lever , in fact I fail to understand how it could work without one ; are you sure the guy knew what he was doing ? you clearly have now used one that works correctly , so can I suggest that when you are in the area of the other pump you pop in and see what the **** they are playing at !!!

incidentally the pump will only pressurise your bottle to a maximum of 10bar ; the bottle is designed to operate at 15 bar and has a test pressure of 30bar ; you would have to light a fire under it to make it go bang :Eeek:

you did make one mistake however ...you clearly went to the most expensive non-motorway pump in england !

there , wasn't so bad , was it ! actually , less dangerous than filling with petrol , petrol vapour is much more explosive than propane gas

incidentally , if you do get to the other place , do let us know what was wrong , can't imagine !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back