Gas bottle poss dumb question (1 Viewer)

seamus62

Free Member
Dec 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Until now I've used a Calor propane gas 6kg bottle in my motorhome. I now have an 11kg Flogas propane bottle. Same as the calor gas its a screw fit.

However there seems to be a plastic ring inside the screw hole which prevents the hose being screwed on. (see photo).

Do I just extract this plastic ring (eg long nose pliers) or is the answer more complicated.

Attachments

• IMG_6797.jpg
    IMG_6797.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 68

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Until now I've used a Calor propane gas 6kg bottle in my motorhome. I now have an 11kg Flogas propane bottle. Same as the calor gas its a screw fit.

However there seems to be a plastic ring inside the screw hole which prevents the hose being screwed on. (see photo).

Do I just extract this plastic ring (eg long nose pliers) or is the answer more complicated.
Yes, there is usually a bit of plastic sticking out to grip with your fingers

OP
OP
S

seamus62

Free Member
Dec 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Yes, there is usually a bit of plastic sticking out to grip with your fingers
Ah great thank you.Looks like that part must have become detached.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
That looks like it might be a complete adapter jammed in there, although it could well be a different design of valve from the Calor and I can't see properly. I've never seen a Flogas one before.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Flo gas usually have a plastic plug thing. The ring pull bit lifts out of the middle and then use it to twist around. I assume that the bit in the picture is plastic I cannot tell

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011

I have never saw a flogas bottle with that thread, American refillables yes.
I see the label says commercial, is that not maybe for a forklift ?

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
I think that's the clip on connector for their patio gas or FLT,either it needs to come out or replace the bottle.

OP
OP
S

seamus62

Free Member
Dec 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Well it never rains....

Pulled out the plastic ring. Its a simple washer type with no pull tag.

But as alluded to by cmcardle above, its a different connection to the calor gas. (Narrower - the thread won't fit in)

So looks like I need to return the bottle. (or get an adaptor)

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
I thought forklifts etc ran on liquid propane while motorhomes use the evaporated gas above the liquid, hence vans never use a bottle on its side. Even if you could find an adapter it may not be a good idea.

OP
OP
S

seamus62

Free Member
Dec 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Thanks all for the assistance. Took the bottle back and all is good now. Two on Tour - yes that should have been a clue, as should Commercial written stencilled the bottle itself. :) When I rang the guy he said "so its no use to you?" and I said "not unless I go out and buy a fork lift truck"

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Thanks all for the assistance. Took the bottle back and all is good now. Two on Tour - yes that should have been a clue, as should Commercial written stencilled the bottle itself. :) When I rang the guy he said "so its no use to you?" and I said "not unless I go out and buy a fork lift truck"
You mean you haven't got a forklift truck at home...

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Hello, I have i1x Calor and 1 x Flo-gas 6kg. Mine are interchangeable without any adaptors. I have added a photo of the thread.
No,I don't use the bottle in this orientation, it was just loaded onto the phone memory in that way.
Mike.

Attachments

• Flo-gas.jpg
    Flo-gas.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 16

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries