Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Newbie question here:
I will be needing gas bottles for the motorhome and according to the specifications it takes 2 x 6 litre bottles.
Which is the best type - Red or Blue
Any particular manufacture

I will not get to see what is currently fitted until next Tuesday, so what tips on checking the system out :)

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Newbie question here:
I will be needing gas bottles for the motorhome and according to the specifications it takes 2 x 6 litre bottles.

I will not get to see what is currently fitted until next Tuesday, so what tips on checking the system out :)

You will need Red propane bottles

When you say you will not get to see whats fitted not sure what you mean ?

if you are buying a motorhome from a dealer and they are fitting the bottles for you then i would ask them to demonstrate all of the gas appliences to make sure they work.

Regards

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i agree with sinbad,

red propane, preferably Calor bottles. (exchange 'em anywhere unlike some others)

the van may be fitted with a butane regulator, depends what the previous owner used, but they are only around £7 for a propane bottle top regulator and are easy to fit.

it may have a bulkhead regulator which will mean changing the pigtail hose if its butane....not sure if you need to change the regulator as well. some one will know for sure.

having said all that you can use butane if you want but it doesnt work too well in cold weather.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just a suggestion......if you have to provide them try your local rubbish tip/recycling center.

the guys sometimes sell them for a couple of quid for the coffee fund.

a lot cheaper than going to a calor dealer and paying a large deposit which you will probably never get back unless you keep the reciept. and who keeps reciepts for years?

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Best deal for 6kg bottles ........gas included

Link Removed

Regards

if you read the listing the guy doesnt know what he's got:RollEyes:

its obviously a 6kg but the listing staes a FULL 15KG :Doh:

think my last 15kg was £24 exchange. wish i used enough to fit gaslows:winky:

Upvote 0

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Have you tried your local Freecycle group Link Removed I asked for a small red propane bottle & somebody has a 3.6kg one they no longer need. Otherwise try your local rubbish/recycling center they usually have loads of these cylinders. Often you can exchange them for a different size depending on the dealer (some will some won't)
Don't know why you suggest Calor?? Flogas are cheaper & have free delivery Link Removed

Upvote 0
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
if you read the listing the guy doesnt know what he's got:RollEyes:

its obviously a 6kg but the listing staes a FULL 15KG :Doh:

think my last 15kg was £24 exchange. wish i used enough to fit gaslows:winky:

Yep your right, thought this was the seller where i bought mine from :Doh:

This is the supplier based near brum no deposit required bottle + gas picked two up for my van when i first got it

Link Removed even cheaper

Regards

Upvote 0

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Sinbad1, check the regulators (pressure reducing valves) that you will be fitting to the gas bottles.

You may wish to choose the bottle to fit the regulator.
If not, you will have to change regulators.

Upvote 0
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Sinbad1, check the regulators (pressure reducing valves) that you will be fitting to the gas bottles.

You may wish to choose the bottle to fit the regulator.
If not, you will have to change regulators.

If you read the thread the link i gave was in response to the original poster

My system is fine and system checked for pressure and system leaks

Regards

Upvote 0

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Sinbad! check what sort of regulators (pressure reducing valves) you have fitted to your motorhome.

Then get bottles to match the regulators you have.

Otherwize, you will need to buy new regulators, or adapters.

Sorry nI did not make my message clearer before.

Upvote 0
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Sinbad! check what sort of regulators (pressure reducing valves) you have fitted to your motorhome.

?...........:Doh:

Upvote 0

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Newbie question here:

Surely if you are gettin it second hand or from a dealer you should get a bottle included and they must explain the system to you!! Don't pay till they do. I swop mine at the local Calor gas depot which is cheaper than shops or sites etc. Its £18 for the new lightweight 6kg Calor Lite Propane cylinder which last for a good while if used sensibely. The Propane metal cylinders are quite heavy in comparrison and can be a struggle to get them in and out off the locker so check the access to the gas locker also!:thumb:

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Surely if you are gettin it second hand or from a dealer you should get a bottle included and they must explain the system to you!! Don't pay till they do. I swop mine at the local Calor gas depot which is cheaper than shops or sites etc. Its £18 for the new lightweight 6kg Calor Lite Propane cylinder which last for a good while if used sensibely. The Propane metal cylinders are quite heavy in comparrison and can be a struggle to get them in and out off the locker so check the access to the gas locker also!:thumb:
and around £5 if you fill it yourself with an adapter.

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Have you tried your local Freecycle group Link Removed I asked for a small red propane bottle & somebody has a 3.6kg one they no longer need. Otherwise try your local rubbish/recycling center they usually have loads of these cylinders. Often you can exchange them for a different size depending on the dealer (some will some won't)
Don't know why you suggest Calor?? Flogas are cheaper & have free delivery Link Removed
flogas may be cheaper but not available all over the country, calor is.

Upvote 0

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Delwood33 check what sort of regulators (pressure reducing valves) you have fitted to your motorhome.

Upvote 0

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Sorry about that Sinbad.
Thanks for drawing my attention to my error.

The message was for Delwood33.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dellwood33

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
So Red it is then. I have been shown the operation of the fridge, heater etc, but we did not open the gas locker. I now will check on Tuesday and query the gas and fittings if it is not red:Smile:

Upvote 0

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
From my limited knowledge blue is butane, red is propane. Propane freezes at a much lower temperature than butane from what I'm told making it prefarable.
Also butane (blue) comes in 7kg rather than 6kg (although at my local calor retailer they are the same price making the butane slightly cheaper)

Anyway our MH was bought used from a dealer and it was fitted for butane, so we asked them to change it over as part of the deal. Also our's didn't actually come with a bottle (I guess the previous owner kept it when it was part exchanged), however, again we got a full bottle thrown in as part of the deal.

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
From my limited knowledge blue is butane, red is propane. Propane freezes at a much lower temperature than butane from what I'm told making it prefarable.

Both butane and propane FREEZE at temperature far far far below the atmospheric temperature so neither will ever freeze in normal use.

However liquid butane virtually stops giving off gas at about 6 degrees Celsius making it not very useful on cold days. In cold parts underneath the van gas may liquefy and cause a blockage even at temperatures above 6 Celsius. The actual process of evaporation inside the bottle will also cool down the bottle aggravating the process. lagging the bottle will not necessarily help as the evaporative cooling process occurs inside the bottle/

Propane continues to give off gas down to about -40 degrees Celsius making it OK for cold winter days.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back