Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hi,

We have two Gaslow refillable gas bottles, one of which has a very small leak where the filler valve enters the top. When I spray gas leak detector onto it, small bubbles appear where the thread enters the bottle.

I would like to stop this leak and have been running the bottles down to empty.

Once I have run the gas level down and left it open for a few hours, is it safe to use a spanner to adjust the valve tightness? If so, should I a) keep the valve in place but tighten it (counter thread to normal nuts), b) remove the valve and apply gas PTFE and tighten or c) leave it alone? If I leave it alone, can you recommend a distance that will seal the small leak without permanently welding the valve to the bottle?

If I remove the valve and put it back in with PTFE, would I have to purge the bottle of air and, if so, how?

When I refill, would I fill to 80%?

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
You need to establish if the orientation of the valve is crucial to the operation of the fill valve as they often are.
Don't use PTFE tape as is is now not recognised as a suitable sealant but use gas seal paste.
Ideally a non metallic spanner but careful use of a steel spanner is not a problem.
The thread is usually still RH as LH is usually just for hose connections.
If in any doubt you should get Gaslow to sort it for you

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Hi,

We have two Gaslow refillable gas bottles, one of which has a very small leak where the filler valve enters the top. When I spray gas leak detector onto it, small bubbles appear where the thread enters the bottle.

I would like to stop this leak and have been running the bottles down to empty.

Once I have run the gas level down and left it open for a few hours, is it safe to use a spanner to adjust the valve tightness? If so, should I a) keep the valve in place but tighten it (counter thread to normal nuts), b) remove the valve and apply gas PTFE and tighten or c) leave it alone? If I leave it alone, can you recommend a distance that will seal the small leak without permanently welding the valve to the bottle?

If I remove the valve and put it back in with PTFE, would I have to purge the bottle of air and, if so, how?

i have known so many of these have similar faults . or the valve sticking so it wont fill. for the money they are crap. but they wil exchange them or have done for folk i know .
shame really they are of such a poor quality . for the money they charge .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
there is a known fault on a batch of the cylinders as far as i remember. contact gaslow about a replacement, dont attempt a diy repair because of the high pressure of a full cylinder

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
You need to establish if the orientation of the valve is crucial to the operation of the fill valve as they often are.
Don't use PTFE tape as is is now not recognised as a suitable sealant but use gas seal paste.
Ideally a non metallic spanner but careful use of a steel spanner is not a problem.
The thread is usually still RH as LH is usually just for hose connections.
If in any doubt you should get Gaslow to sort it for you

I have paste and liquid and tape PTFE and was aiming to use the liquid first but it seems that the fault is well known.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
there is a known fault on a batch of the cylinders as far as i remember. contact gaslow about a replacement, dont attempt a diy repair because of the high pressure of a full cylinder

Do you know if they would deal with second hand bottles? I don't have any proof of original purchase.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I have paste and liquid and tape PTFE and was aiming to use the liquid first but it seems that the fault is well known.
Looking at the other replies you may well get a free replacement.
If you do end up doing the job yourself just use paste or liquid but not the tape.
I cannot remember the reason but do remember being sent a technical bulletin about it.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Do you know if they would deal with second hand bottles? I don't have any proof of original purchase.
it will have a serial number stamped into the bottle. Worst case scenario they heavily discount the replacement. Biggest issue is getting the faulty cylinder back to gaslow as you cant courier a used gas cylinder

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I've had a very slight leek on a Gasit bottle for a few weeks now. My local dealer has pressure checked the system several times but the problem cannot be traced. He is certain it is the bottle. Once filled it is emptying in 5 weeks without been used or connected. He advises to contact Gasit. They are closed until Monday.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
i have known so many of these have similar faults . or the valve sticking so it wont fill. for the money they are crap. but they wil exchange them or have done for folk i know .
shame really they are of such a poor quality . for the money they charge .

Just wondering how many you have heard of with similar faults, do you know the age of them. I mean is it the newer or the older ones that are giving trouble.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Just wondering how many you have heard of with similar faults, do you know the age of them. I mean is it the newer or the older ones that are giving trouble.
old and new . as i said a friend and amember of jims 365 site is on his third set of bottles . they do get alot of use as they almost fulltime . plus when away in winter see loads having problems with the bottles .
alugas seems better but thats been around years germans and dutch have had them for ages . i still have other friends that are in the motor home industry . they laugh about the refillable crap bottles . unfortunately in vw,s etc the larger bottles are abit too big . so many do go for refillable . but it is a problem . look back on old threads its been going on for several years .

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I have had two Gaslow cylinders leak at the filler point.
Both were replaced FOC - one at a dealer (Southdown) and the other at Gaslows Depot in Loughborough (stayed in their car park overnight on our way somewhere)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Don't concern yourself about this particular part. You're not likely to know when it's 80% full but the system does. This remaining 20% is the ulage required on this type of system and chemicals, gasses, etc all have ulage allowances particularly under pressure but rather than trust Joe Public not to squeeze that extra bit in (whilst it's 5p a litre cheaper here), the system stops you filling it over 80%. It's the elf and safety fingy that they inbuilt so you don't have to worry about.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Just as a point of interest.
The gas cylinders, once filled, see never empty. This applies to refillable and non refillable cylinders.
They are nominally empty (thus meaning there is residual product inside)
The cylinder is only classed as empty once it is purged, cleaned AND certified stating that.
AFAIK, all companies refurbish the cylinders at stated periods (most industrial at 10 years). Pressure tested, new valves and repainted) and transport to respective filling stations but don't bother with all the paperwork (most refurbished cylinder transport around 180 cylinders) because it would only allow the driver to close the orange plate for that short journey and pointless certification for mainly a single trip.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I've had a very slight leek on a Gasit bottle for a few weeks now. My local dealer has pressure checked the system several times but the problem cannot be traced. He is certain it is the bottle. Once filled it is emptying in 5 weeks without been used or connected. He advises to contact Gasit. They are closed until Monday.
I had leaks on both inlet/outlet valve threads into my new gasit cylinder about 18 months ago.....exchanged by them.....so possible!

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Having previously worked in a place where we they did cylinder refurbishment , ill mention one very important fact if you are thinking on touching the cylinder valve.
be sure to find out the torque setting to which the valve should be re torqued back into. Plus you will need to have a suitable air vice to hold the cylinder in place when you retorque the head back in , again using a suitable torque wrench with an adapter to fit the head snugly , thus not to damage the head assembly.
Another thing to look at does the cylinder have a tapered or parallel thread / head , ( I'm unsure if parallel threads are used in gas bottles ) ?? But if so you would need a replacement o ring.

Sgt411

Free Member
Feb 9, 2011
Between England & France
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Last year I was travelling around on a UK trip and one of my Gaslow bottles developed a leak at the valve when I was in the highlands of Scotland. I contacted Gaslow and I was met on route by one of their reps who exchanged the cylinder and also checked the whole system FOC. I might add that the system was purchased second hand from E.Bay about 2 years previously. The rep did not ask for proof of purchase and there was no quibble what so ever. Very satisfied.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Last year I was travelling around on a UK trip and one of my Gaslow bottles developed a leak at the valve when I was in the highlands of Scotland. I contacted Gaslow and I was met on route by one of their reps who exchanged the cylinder and also checked the whole system FOC. I might add that the system was purchased second hand from E.Bay about 2 years previously. The rep did not ask for proof of purchase and there was no quibble what so ever. Very satisfied.
After reading this i would deffo suggest not even attempting to repair it yourself and instead just contact Gaslow and at least try your luck :)

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Many thanks for informative responses. I won't be attempting a repair and will be in touch with Gaslow upon our return.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Many thanks for informative responses. I won't be attempting a repair and will be in touch with Gaslow upon our return.
good move . should you try any repair then they could reject the warranty.
shame the quality of their stuff is so poor.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back