Gas bottle filling (1 Viewer)

Aug 8, 2013
CHESTER
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544
Exp
Since 2006
Hi everyone, forgive me if this sounds a daft question. If I was to connect two 11kg refillable bottles together, one full one empty would the gas partially fill the empty bottle? I am thinking no because of air in empty bottle and it not having anywhere to escape to.
I’m sure someone here will have the answer.
Thanks.

Oozzie

OP
OP
oozzie
Aug 8, 2013
CHESTER
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544
Exp
Since 2006
no because they are fitted with non return valves,
Oh, didn’t think of non return valves. What if connected from out valve on full bottle to filler valve on empty one?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
When the bottle is new and unused it will be full of air. The liquid gas will compress any air as its filled, therefore it would fill as normal to 50% ONLY if the full bottle is inverted to allow liquid gas rather than vapour to escape.
But..... Why bother?
Unless it has a one way valve as Al-Do said, though I can't see why a none refillable calor bottle would have.
Oppps! Just realised you have refillable, but the question why bother still stands and it would still need inverting.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Just open the valve on one bottle at a time. Then you know zackly how much gas you have left.
PS. And turn the fridge off when you refill at the pumps.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Hi everyone, forgive me if this sounds a daft question. If I was to connect two 11kg refillable bottles together, one full one empty would the gas partially fill the empty bottle? I am thinking no because of air in empty bottle and it not having anywhere to escape to.
I’m sure someone here will have the answer.
Thanks.

Oozzie
What are you trying to achieve. ?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Put one in a chest freezer and it will all go into the cold one. Or to speed things up you can pour hot water on one. You'll see the pipes start trembling as the gas rushes into the cooler bottle 👍

OP
OP
oozzie
Aug 8, 2013
CHESTER
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544
Exp
Since 2006
What are you trying to achieve. ?
Hi, I bought new Gaslow bottles because old one has a slight leak and it’s still has quite a bit of gas in it. So thought I may be able to save some.
Oozzie

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
No need to turn anything off in the van, close the valves on both bottles when filling, then when you have finished filling, open the valves on both bottles. Job done.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
On a similar theme, Is it possible to fit a gauge to the gas bottle to check the level in it???????
Apologies if this is a highjack, still learning.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
No need to turn anything off in the van, close the valves on both bottles when filling, then when you have finished filling, open the valves on both bottles. Job done.
The reason you turn the fridge off is cos there is a naked flame open to the world if you do not.. Any leak during the refill could ignite.. Very exciting but only briefly
Last year a motorhome caught fire while refilling.. Burnt the garage and the motorhome to the ground.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
On a similar theme, Is it possible to fit a gauge to the gas bottle to check the level in it???????
Lots of add on gauges but your better off using tea leaves to find out how much gas is left 😂

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
All it will tell you is the standing pressure, which only relates to temperature until the last but of LPG evaporates, then it will quickly drop to nothing. It would be useful to know when the bottle pressure drops to nothing though, say an alarm.. last time our's ran out the freezer defrosted.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
The reason you turn the fridge off is cos there is a naked flame open to the world if you do not.. Any leak during the refill could ignite.. Very exciting but only briefly
Last year a motorhome caught fire while refilling.. Burnt the garage and the motorhome to the ground.

But if you turn off the valves on the bottles, you've effectively turned off the gas at source.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Lots of add on gauges but your better off using tea leaves to find out how much gas is left 😂
Use the Mopeka Ultrasonic level system sold by Gasit in the UK. Accurate and reliable so far. Can get levels on your smartphone or you can buy a level gauge to stick up in the motorhome. We use both ways.

OP
OP
oozzie
Aug 8, 2013
CHESTER
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544
Exp
Since 2006
Just an update, I have connected a new empty bottle to the system and the old full bottle and opened both valves and I can hear gas going into the new bottle. How much I don’t know but time will tell.
Oozzie

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just an update, I have connected a new empty bottle to the system and the old full bottle and opened both valves and I can hear gas going into the new bottle. How much I don’t know but time will tell.
Oozzie
It will only be gas vapour.
Liquid gas has to come from the bottom hence turning the doner bottle upside down so the outlet is at the bottom.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back