Gas bbq help choosing ! (1 Viewer)

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
After considering the much recommended cadac bbqs I've come to the conclusion that they will not really fit our needs. I like the compact nature of the cadac 2 but it looks like it would only do 2 people and all the cadacs don't really seem to be an actual bbq but a gas ring cooker.

So the weber q1200 looks more promising but might be too heavy and bulky for our van and also expensive. Has anyone found a good alternative brand in a similar style and perhaps a bit lighter if not using a cast iron grill?

I would really like the option of a hot plate also. Thanks for your help.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Weber q1000 a bit smaller than the 1200 we have had one for eleven years get the one with the two piece grill easier to clean.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Weber q1000 a bit smaller than the 1200 we have had one for eleven years get the one with the two piece grill easier to clean.
I was looking at them but it looked as though it was 19kg on the specifications! Is this a typo?

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Weber Q1200 really great bbq buy the plate and rotisserie and then you can cook almost everything best chicken ever done on the rotiseries

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
That could be the q1200 including the stand etc ours is less than 4or 5 kgs we just put it on a small folding table look on Amazon for the best deal
Thank you. Yes this looks perfect. Will it run off our gaslow system?

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
Thank you. Yes this looks perfect. Will it run off our gaslow system?
It will come with a short pipe that goes onto a small cartridge, this can be easily adapted for the Gaslow system, I have a BBQ point that my 1200 attaches to, you will just need to work out what fittings you need but yes it works on Gaslow ?. I have bought 4 BBQ’s from these people, they DO special offers on Black Friday etc but I think that one is a good price especially with the stand, the stands fold down easily are basic but if you buy it on its own it’s £70 or so.

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Thanks so much for that info and the link. It looks a great deal. So the 1000 has same cooking area, no temp gage, lower hood? Slightly lighter. Hmmm not sure which one to go for now.

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
Thanks so much for that info and the link. It looks a great deal. So the 1000 has same cooking area, no temp gage, lower hood? Slightly lighter. Hmmm not sure which one to go for now.
The 1200 is compact and brilliant, I have the rotisserie so put on a joint or chicken and just leave it for 2 hrs, you need to put a tray of water order it and that keep it moist ?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
we have a cadac and are more than happy with it, it is as you say a single ring gas cooker, but the accessories you can buy turn it into so much more. all gas bbq's are essentially a gas burner of one sort or another - even one that has lava rocks is essentially a gas burner, but has much more of a bbq 'feel' to it.

the downsides we have found with the cadac is that there is no 'warming' rack at a different height to allow you to move food away from the cooking area. there are different sizes and we have both the small safari one and the larger carry chef. the safari is more than adequate for two people whilst the carry chef is great for four and ok for more than four.

what i would add is that in the uk we tend to try to cook everything in one go and eat it all straight away. i TRY to make a bbq last, have some food and wine, then cook a little bit more and make having a bbq more than just cooking a meal and eating it

whichever style you decide to go for, i would suggest that you look for ways to cook that suit the style of whatever you choose. whichever one you choose will have its advantages and disadvantages.

we see our cadac as a type of device that cooks certain things well. i wouldnt use it for toasting bread with it but it could be used for that if you really wanted to.

whichever one you decide to go for the one thing i would highly recommend is a pizza stone, i have used one on a cadac, a lava rock bbq, a gas bbq and a charcoal bbq and they have all cooked the pizza base perfectly, no soggy bottom !!!! it doesnt matter if the stone doesnt perfectly fit the bbq - though it does help to be able to close the lid/cover the pizza.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We have tried the complicated stuff but find a cheapie £10 portable single ring gas stove suits us better its quick easy to clean takes hardly any room and weighs very little.

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
The 1200 is compact and brilliant, I have the rotisserie so put on a joint or chicken and just leave it for 2 hrs, you need to put a tray of water order it and that keep it moist ?
Do you know how much the 1200 weighs without stand? I can't understand why it appears to be heavier than the 1000 but the same dimensions.

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Ah i see now the 1000 doesn't have the side tables!

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
This looks interesting. Have you used lava rocks before? How long do they last?
For campervan use they'll probably last forever, our RV had a built in one and on that I changed the lava rocks after 11 years for no real reason. To my mind, fat dripping onto lava rocks and burning gives food more of a 'BBQ' taste.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
This is probably no help but we have decided that the only BBQ worth having is a charcoal one. We have a small oven and three burners in the motorhome. If I want to cook outside I have two small gas burners and the BBQ.

You can cook things like sausages and burgers on a burner. If I want to cook fish or decent meat then a proper BBQ with red hot coals is far superior to anything else.

OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Going to look at a q1200 in a local garden centre tomorrow but I'm thinking the 1000 or 1200 will suit us as we will want to cook outside a lot on our year out round Europe /morroco and would like quality that will last and the ability to cook large fish or joints.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have 2 Weber Q BBQs. A Q2000 for on the patio at home and a Q1200 for the motorhome. IMHO they are the best BBQs going. Not just for the usual burgers and steaks. Very versatile. We have roasted pork and beef joints as well as chicken in ours, cooked pizzas and fish and even cooked frozen chips. You can use it for low and slow cooking for things like pulled pork or marinated ribs.

I have tried cheaper and lighter BBQs in the motorhome, but always came back to the Weber. The 1200 is better in my opinion that 1000. I think the main differences are that the 1200 have a fold out side tables (very convenient) and a better ignition system.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
This looks interesting. Have you used lava rocks before? How long do they last?
We have had one of those for about four years and the supplied lava rock is only enough to cover about half the cooking area ,but a large bag of bigger rocks was only about a fiver or so . Once you set it up it works fine but it’s only a cheap pressed steel one and as such it’s not a long term purchase .

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
There is an additional 15% off these prices if your quick, if you don’t want a stand and can put it on a table or the ground could get a great deal https://www.bbqworld.co.uk/weber-barbecues/weberq/weber-q-bbq.asp
That is where we bought both of our Webers from. Very good with DPD next day delivery within a one hour time slot you are given in the morning of the delivery. So no need to stay in all day.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
Another vote for the Weber Q1200 - superb bit of kit and at 14 kg, well worth the payload (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back