Garmin vs Tomtom (1 Viewer)

Oct 4, 2021
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 66-2
Exp
Since Sept ‘21.
Not wanting to start a ‘mine’s better than yours’ thread, but just wondered if anyone’s gone from Garmin to TomTom, and has any comments about the difference. The reason I ask is that we have a Garmin which tends to take us down roads that are too narrow, despite me having put in the dimensions of the motorhome. In fact I exaggerated the width (eventually saying that it’s 4 metres wide!), and still it chooses a route that involves a lane that’s no more than 3m. Is TomTom any better in this respect, in your experience?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Not wanting to start a ‘mine’s better than yours’ thread, but just wondered if anyone’s gone from Garmin to TomTom, and has any comments about the difference. The reason I ask is that we have a Garmin which tends to take us down roads that are too narrow, despite me having put in the dimensions of the motorhome. In fact I exaggerated the width (eventually saying that it’s 4 metres wide!), and still it chooses a route that involves a lane that’s no more than 3m. Is TomTom any better in this respect, in your experience?
I said that months ago and felt my response was poo pooed! Ive now gone down the route of constant emails regarding too narrow lanes/ wrong route etc. Garmin does change the mapping but you need to complain and persevere for change to happen.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
It is not the fault of your Garmin, or TomTom. The map data supplied to them is inaccurate. Until a proper survey is done, like Google Earth have done, there will always be errors.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Hi friend, we've gone from Tomtom to Garmin and now with Aguri and don't trust any of them. Just keep your eyes skinned for very low bridges and foot paths they try to send you on.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Went from TomTom to Garmin because we found the TomTom dangerously inaccurate - tried to route us under a bridge significantly lower than input height of van! Not really convinced Garmin is much better mind, possibly because of what 68c said.

Reactions: 68c

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Have changed from Garmin to Tom Tom out of necessity on last holiday.

Havent overly played with TOm TOm yet but given a choice my preference is for the Garmin, but it does seem a tad unfair after only 3 weeks use on the Tom Tom

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
The only width limitation of any sat nav is on roads that have posted width restrictions eg 6'6" etc . Height and weight are far more reliable .

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
The only width limitation of any sat nav is on roads that have posted width restrictions eg 6'6" etc . Height and weight are far more reliable .
Agree
If the info is not on the conventional map the data is taken from its not added.
Have used both makes. No particular preference.
TT at present

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We went from Garmin to Tom Tom to Aguri and then back to Tom Tom. Definitely prefer Tom Tom - very rarely tries to take us down too narrow roads and if it looks too narrow then just go past and it reroutes you! You have to use a bit of common sense when using a sat nav, it's only a guide really.

Derek’soldvan

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 19, 2021
Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
Ageing Hobby 650
I’ve a garmin tourer 2, I use the iPhone for navigation & the garmin for speed control/anything else & my eyes to ensure that I don’t hit another bridge like I did a few weeks ago. Clearly eyes need some refining too.
My garmin seems to like to send me on massive, unnecessary detours then gets upset with me when I don’t obey, like being married, I’m now divorced

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
We have both Garmin and Tom Tom. They frequently disagree, ok! The Garmin is newer with frequent updates but while touring their choice of routes can be fascinating. Speech better on Tom Tom but inclined to trust Garmin when they offer different routes.
If anyone knows how to turn off the Garmin street names, I would be obliged. Here in Spain some roads have very long names and the street names can still be read when the next junction arrive.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

My Garmin Camper does give weight restriction alerts as well as width restrictions. Which ought to be a Good Thing. In an endeavour to avoid routes involving too-narrow roads, I made the Garmin think I was driving a huge RV. In France that resulted in repeated loud nagging with dire warnings about continuing along roads with weight restrictions, and trying to send me on longer HGV detours when the quicker route was through a town or village that had a 3.5T weight limit. Garmin now thinks I drive a huge RV that weighs less than 3.5T :gum:

The mapping doesn't include all low bridges and underpasses, so I still need to watch out for those.

I haven't tried a Tom-Tom. My original Garmin Nuvi from 2007 still works perfectly despite the maps being very out of date so that confirms its quality. Kept as a back-up. You can't have too many satnavs! (I know, my phone has google maps and Waze, but I still prefer a dedicated device that won't miss a junction because of an incoming call).

OP
OP
DaveHobson
Oct 4, 2021
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 66-2
Exp
Since Sept ‘21.
Thanks for all the helpful replies. Sounds like I was expecting too much from the Garmin. It’s disappointing that in the example that prompted my question, there’s a better alternative route. I understand why the device suggested the shortest, but not why it didn’t list the alternative as an option.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
TomTom Camper but set your dimensions up as an Articulated Lorry and you'll avoid those farm tracks and low bridges. Easily worth having for the Traffic info alone - has saved me from a lot of grief 😁

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I set mine to MH size & weight then ignore it when I think it might be wrong. It usually re-routes.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks for all the helpful replies. Sounds like I was expecting too much from the Garmin. It’s disappointing that in the example that prompted my question, there’s a better alternative route. I understand why the device suggested the shortest, but not why it didn’t list the alternative as an option.

Do you have ‘shortest’ as your default route planning setting?

Always set it to ‘fastest’.

Ian

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
When I had my 12 ton US RV I never used shortest route setting , but now with my smaller 7.5 ton vehicle If I want a more "interesting" routing I do use that setting , as the weight and height parameters will still override shorter route requirement.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Use Mapsource or Basecamp, create your own alternative routes, then just upload to your device.

This is the reason I prefer Garmin satnavs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back