Garmin the gift that keeps taking (1 Viewer)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Love our Garmin units, all three of them, (including a motorcycle unit) have no problems at all with the routing, most of the time I create my own routes using Mapsource, though Basecamp is also a useful program, also include my own POI (stop overs, LPG etc) with no problems.

Haven't contacted Garmin tech for years, but when I did the response was excellent. I find it strange that the occasional user has difficulties then immediately takes to social media to proclaim how 'useless' the product is.

Google maps is fine but not always accurate, and not as versatile as a Garmin stand alone satnav, but if you like it then that's a decent enough reason.
Agreed. I keep thinking of updating our Aldi supplied 760 Camper but it keeps working very well so why? Having said that it's getting close to "boys and toys" time!:eek:
As per other thread I've found Garmin support to be very good.
I know you prefer Mapsource but BaseCamp for us and it is a very effective way of pre-planning, updating, etc. Usually load data to BaseCamp and then transfer to sat nav unit.

OP
OP
Warmleys
Jul 15, 2015
Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
Majestic 125 3
Exp
3 months
Once again I am surprised.

I am not the most tech savvy person by a long chalk but, when I cocked up an update download, the Garmin help desk talked me through how to correct it, in terms that even I could understand.
It took days to eventually talk to a person, then I was cut off . They never rang me back

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
It took days to eventually talk to a person, then I was cut off . They never rang me back
That is poor service. I can’t defend it but, thankfully, I have never experienced it with Garmin.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I know I shouldn't but I get so wound up trying to get this sat nav to work. Sorry if I have ranted
It is obvious that you are frustrated but, as you can see from answering posts, most Garmin users have few problems.

Our present motorhome has a built in SatNav that we never use as the Garmin is much better.

When you have the time to sit down calmly, use the Garmin Support, on-line, and work through it. You may have a few false starts, I did, but persevere and you should get there. Too much money involved to give up. As you can see from this thread, if you get a problem and can explain it clearly, someone will probably already have come across it and be able to help/advise.

Good luck.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Love our Garmin units, all three of them, (including a motorcycle unit) have no problems at all with the routing, most of the time I create my own routes using Mapsource, though Basecamp is also a useful program, also include my own POI (stop overs, LPG etc) with no problems.

Haven't contacted Garmin tech for years, but when I did the response was excellent. I find it strange that the occasional user has difficulties then immediately takes to social media to proclaim how 'useless' the product is.

Google maps is fine but not always accurate, and not as versatile as a Garmin stand alone satnav, but if you like it then that's a decent enough reason.

Only three Garmins? We have four! The first one a Nuvi 660 from 2007 is still in use occasionally in the car, despite out-of-date maps (never had a problem with those). The Nuvi 660 taught me to input map references for sites. The Camper 760 LMT-D (Aldi bargain) is still the best for the PVC here and abroad. Very few problems. Never had to call customer support, touch wood.

After quite a lot of "interesting" detours and shortcuts, Garmins are best ignored when the gut feeling is to stay on the main road. If in doubt stop and consult the paper map. Google maps can be a backup although our MH really needs a new wide head unit running Android Auto to link up the phone.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I keep thinking of updating our Aldi supplied 760 Camper but it keeps working very well so why? Having said that it's getting close to "boys and toys" time!:eek:

The Camper 760 LMT-D (Aldi bargain) is still the best for the PVC here and abroad. Very few problems.
Hey you, stop saying things like that given my comments above.:swear2: I've nearly convinced myself a new toy is required!(y)

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I have a Garmin- model number was £79, the only model number that I was interested in
I use it in conjunction with road-signs and my in-built general sense of direction, but only as a "suggestion" of the route as opposed to the "Gospel according to Whoever"
Also AA road map (£1.99) if I'm heading for somewhere that I have no idea of

If we get lost/stuck, that's part of our Adventure before Dementia (y)(y)

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Thanks, we are on the road for 4 months but will do that when back.
If you are still using the computer I would take RubyOptics advice very seriously, you have inadvertently given a third party remote access to your computer waiting 4 months to sort it out is very dangerous.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Get an anti-virus, turn off your wi-fi. Run a full, thorough scan. Don't go online until it's finished the scan. If some unknown person has downloaded files onto your computer, play it safe and please take my suggestion.
I'm not sure a scan will be enough, if someone has full access to a computer it's possible a program has been installed with permission which may be very harmful and not detected by anti virus scan. I'm not an expert but if I found myself in this position, I would take it to computer expert or even do a full reboot.

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
I'm not sure a scan will be enough, if someone has full access to a computer it's possible a program has been installed with permission which may be very harmful and not detected by anti virus scan. I'm not an expert but if I found myself in this position, I would take it to computer expert or even do a full reboot.
I completely agree with you. But turning off that internet access and a full scan would certainly be my first step. One thing I wouldn't do is do nothing, carry on using it and then deal with it later. No offence to OP and I certainly hope nothing untoward happens, but I do feel you are taking a bloody big risk.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
If you are still using the computer I would take RubyOptics advice very seriously, you have inadvertently given a third party remote access to your computer waiting 4 months to sort it out is very dangerous.
Bit difficult if the OP is on the road for four months and the computer is at home.
At least that’s how I read it.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Was thinking the same with a restore to either a point prior to external access or, if not available, a factory restore or reinstallation of operating system and software.(y)

Bit difficult if the OP is on the road for four months and the computer is at home.
At least that’s how I read it.
I was working on the assumption that they had their mac laptop on their travels but maybe not.:unsure:

Popty

Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
American RV,
Exp
Since 2018
Hi all, l bought a Jimwey 7" touch screen truck sat nav from amazon a few years ago, about £70 with free life time map updates, covers all UK and Europe, + loads of countries that you will never visit, also you can enter vehicles dimensions, length, height, weight, mpg, number of axles etc and all POI, best sat nav l have ever used, used in the moho and will use it in the rv (when I find one)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
IF YOU DO "ANY" ONLINE BANKING ON THE AFFECTED COMPUTER, RUN A PROPER SCAN NOW AND CHANGE ANY BANKING PASSWORDS IF NOT ALREADY TOO LATE!!!

Yes I meant to shout, these scumbag scammers are ALWAYS after your money

OP
OP
Warmleys
Jul 15, 2015
Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
Majestic 125 3
Exp
3 months
Perhaps I should re format it, still garmins fault

OP
OP
Warmleys
Jul 15, 2015
Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
Majestic 125 3
Exp
3 months
Maybe I'm misunderstanding but not clear on how you can blame Garmin for you accepting support from a scam website and granting access to them?:unsure:
It was on their website that the chat help pops up. So me having to contact their help page because their product is awful, so yes, it was on their help page

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Maybe I'm misunderstanding but not clear on how you can blame Garmin for you accepting support from a scam website and granting access to them?:unsure:
The OP said it started with a chat help box. It is easy to be taken in by this sophisticated type of scam, until you realise you are being had.

I had a similar scam experience that began with a chat help box dialogue with a very helpful "Elisabeth" on what appeared to be a legitimate website when I was reporting a problem to the supplier. There was no warning from my AV which is normally keen to prevent me going onto dodgy websites so it was probably the genuine website. And yes, I had to take my laptop to the local experts to have it swept for malware and reset. To this day I suspect the scammers had somehow inserted their fake pop up chatbox onto the genuine webpage I visited. Or hacked it. I had never heard of this method used by scammers. Now I am on my guard, and no longer trust any pop up chatbox even on the CMC website! I assume it could be malware. I will phone instead if I need help.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
It was on their website that the chat help pops up. So me having to contact their help page because their product is awful, so yes, it was on their help page
What was the web address you entered? Or did you just "Google" Garmin Support?
From memory, to chat online with Garmin you have to enter the model number and then select "Chat" or "Call". If you select "Chat" you then have to enter other information and click "Chat" or something similar.
Is that what happened or was it just a chat pop up box that opened?
If you believe their website is infected you should be contacting them immediately through the number above and reporting it.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
This, I believe, is the genuine Garmin Support web address - https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/
and this is what it looks like.

1623943348004.png

In addition to calling the number above you may want to read this and complete a report?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The OP said it started with a chat help box. It is easy to be taken in by this sophisticated type of scam, until you realise you are being had.

I had a similar scam experience that began with a chat help box dialogue with a very helpful "Elisabeth" on what appeared to be a legitimate website when I was reporting a problem to the supplier. There was no warning from my AV which is normally keen to prevent me going onto dodgy websites so it was probably the genuine website. And yes, I had to take my laptop to the local experts to have it swept for malware and reset. To this day I suspect the scammers had somehow inserted their fake pop up chatbox onto the genuine webpage I visited. Or hacked it. I had never heard of this method used by scammers. Now I am on my guard, and no longer trust any pop up chatbox even on the CMC website! I assume it could be malware. I will phone instead if I need help.
Agreed scammers are becoming more and more devious. The links in my previous post are worth a read.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
I love these threads. Who'd have thought that technology could be such an endless form of entertainment. I can imagine people laying into their devices with a tree branch a la John Cleese in Fawlty Towers - fantastic therapy for some I guess.

OP
OP
Warmleys
Jul 15, 2015
Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
Majestic 125 3
Exp
3 months
What was the web address you entered? Or did you just "Google" Garmin Support?
From memory, to chat online with Garmin you have to enter the model number and then select "Chat" or "Call". If you select "Chat" you then have to enter other information and click "Chat" or something similar.
Is that what happened or was it just a chat pop up box that opened?
If you believe their website is infected you should be contacting them immediately through the number above and reporting it.
Can't remember exactly how I got there. I have informed garmin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back