Garmin Sat Nav journey time accuracy (1 Viewer)

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
:D The actual time will obviously depend on all sorts of variables, as posts above have pointed out. The problem with the Garmin software is that it apparently uses an inaccurate parameter (70 mph maximum speed when vehicle maximum is 60 mph) in the first place. As I mentioned in the OP, the iGo software on the Noza Tec gives an initial estimate that is much more accurate than the Garmin. If it can do so then it is possible for the Garmin to do so as well (y)
Well said-were you a civil servant by any chance,you sound just like my wife,who was an SRO with Welsh assembly government :):)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I thought it was quite simple it used the gps time/distance travelled to constantly update ? Then again although it is on the screen along with eta, speed distance to go /travelled, etc; I just look at the distance to go in kms. (y)

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Well said-were you a civil servant by any chance,you sound just like my wife,who was an SRO with Welsh assembly government :):)
Nothing so lowly - local government :LOL::LOL:
My thoughts on the software come more from having worked in the Information Systems field for over 35 years. When one has spent so long trying to ensure that system development is performed properly it's annoying to find such elementary mistakes in pecifications :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Quite agree and I was only stating why I require accurate timings I'm always open to suggestions but that doesn't make the sat nav any better.
The pre planning goes out of the window after the first late arrival and I realise that it does adjust timings as you drive but it's very difficult to plan a trip with inaccurate journey times quoted in the planning stage.
End of story sorry if it doesn't make sense but that's probably me as I said previously everyone to their own.:)
If I wanted to the minute journey times I would sort that at the planning stage. Like most others I don't care really once were on the move. On motorways autoroutes etc I too like to keep to the speed limit or just higher. I quite like watching the arrival time reduce. On nice rural roads I don't care at all.
I think that putting in a "vehicle speed" instead of a speed limit is just not going to work. Unless you want to be able to set your own speeds for each road type... in that case .... yeah.. each to their own.
I really like the Garmin Camper and struggle to find any problems with it tbh

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
My Garmin alters the journey time depending on which vehicle I choose to plot the route in. Earlier arrival time in motorcycle mode than in RV mode. The time also alters depending on which mounting bracket it is in. That is faster time in motorcycle mount than in car mount. I think this is because on the bike you are not held up by one person needing to travel in something the size of their lounge.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
popcorn_jon_stewart.gif
You're a bad man, you!:p:giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements