Garmin sat nav 760 camper (1 Viewer)

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
The Garmin reached new levels of incompetence today.I was stuck in almost standstill traffic on the A31 in France for almost 4 hours in which we travelled a grand total of 28 miles.What message did my super duper digital traffic transmit?No traffic on your route!!I did get an occasional warning of a broken down vehicle x miles ahead,but that didn't happen either.Although I have often gave the Garmin the benefit of the doubt,today has seriously shaken my confidence in it.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
The Garmin reached new levels of incompetence today.I was stuck in almost standstill traffic on the A31 in France for almost 4 hours in which we travelled a grand total of 28 miles.What message did my super duper digital traffic transmit?No traffic on your route!!I did get an occasional warning of a broken down vehicle x miles ahead,but that didn't happen either.Although I have often gave the Garmin the benefit of the doubt,today has seriously shaken my confidence in it.

That was a nasty delay, could you not have asked your unit to give you an alternative rout, a turn off perhaps along the 28 miles you did travel? problem is of course the congestion may improve two miles up the road and you have no way of knowing that. Regards the lack of warning, It would seem you didn't have a digital radio connection on your area and/ or your smartphone connection was off for some reason or maybee Garmin didn't have information it could transmit. I expect thats why Garmin don't guarantee traffic warning in all areas and have the caveat that they depend on information from other suppliers. Understandably your confidence is dented, I wonder if Tom-tom might have alerted you, traffic is probably the only area where they are superior to Garmin but I have tried the latest Totom devices and found them lacking in every other respect.

Andy in Lossie

Free Member
Mar 29, 2016
Lossiemouth
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Done a bit
[QUOTE="I was wondering if the larger unit is prone to slip or move position on rough roads.[/QUOTE]

Not happened to us

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
[QUOTE="I was wondering if the larger unit is prone to slip or move position on rough roads.

Not happened to us[/QUOTE]

Thank you, incidentally I have been very pleased with my 770 so far, the routing is fine and the information it can give on campsites and stopovers is very useful indeed. I really like the big clear screen too. All in all I wouldn't go back to the smaller non customisable Garmin Drivelux, the only negative is that I would prefer the magnetic mount for the 770 but I can live without it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back