Garmin sat nav 760 camper

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by BDW, Aug 27, 2017.

1. BDW

BDW Funster

Ratings:
    +14
    I have a garmin 76 camper sat nav it is on Motorhome settings and I have increased my dimensions. But it still tries to send me down little country lanes with grass growing in the middle. Any suggestions

2. Clarky

Clarky Funster

Ratings:
    +3,377
    I assume you have it set to 'camper' rather than 'car'. It does make a difference.
    Also, set to 'fastest' rather than 'shortest' route.
    Basic stuff I know but the settings do mean it plots different routes.

Ours is generally very good and has taken us many thousands of miles both here and in Europe but you do have to keep an eye on where it wants to take you. I find it tends to be over cautious when route planning, taking us on major roads and often ignoring good short cuts. When I plot a route I always check it against a map and then put in waypoints to adjust it to the route I prefer.
    Just occasionally it will try and take us down a track but that is usually when we have gone off its planned route and it is trying to take us back to that route. Mrs Garmin often takes quite a while to get it into her head that we don't want/can't go the way she planned. Diversions for road works often cause that problem.

Richard.

• Like it Like it x 1
  3. SuperMike

SuperMike Funster

Ratings:
    +2,638
    We use a 760 with a 10.5t motorhome. Don't have much of a problem. Remember, that it can only calculate on what it knows and methinks it only knows the dimensions of main type roads.

• Like it Like it x 3
  4. Wendo55

Wendo55 Funster

Ratings:
    +998
    Following this thread....I have exactly the same problem! If I don't follow the planned route it tries to take me down narrow country lanes, (some with "no HGV" signs) to get back on track. Will check the "fastest" not "shortest " setting.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  5. SpeedyDux

SpeedyDux Funster

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Try increasing your dimensions even more! Tell Mrs Garmin you are a massive RV.:)

• Like it Like it x 2
  6. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Ratings:
    +7,007
    You must set it to fastest route otherwise you will be on farm tracks irrespect of dimensions as it looks for shortest direct routes.

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Ratings:
    +3,370
    I have been thinking of getting one of these, does anyone know if it's possible to delete the pre installed Motorhome Facts poi and icon as I don't want this on the device.

• Like it Like it x 2
  8. Northernraider

Northernraider Funster

Ratings:
    +1,892
    I considered buying one of these but I'll be honest I found the £300+ price tag a little scary and I've bought a fairly cheap £50 truck Sat nav ( just ordered it so I'll report on that once I've used it a bit)

I was wondering though if there were benefits to one specifically for motorhomes over trucks as both take the weights and dimensions etc.

Up till now I've not really used sat nav much I tend to look at a map and have a rough idea where I'm going and just follow signs, but I figured for touring the continent and finding places others suggest on here etc that a satnav may be helpful

• Like it Like it x 1
  9. tacr2man

tacr2man Funster

Ratings:
    +61
    Truck sat navs are more slanted in that direction with the dangerous goods, service POI and other programs like drivers hours etc .
    You dont get caravan site POI like you do on the motorhome marketed ones . The basics are pretty much the same .
    Faster rather than shorter is as mentioned more set and relax with larger vehicles , and you do need to be careful with diversions
    I used to run with two sat navs in Europe with one set faster and the other shorter and then select which to follow one was with the much bigger screen and It was used to get a bigger picture overall view of the route . Sounds complicated but was pretty easy once you got the hang of it , and gave the co pilot something to do :sneaky::D

• Like it Like it x 1
  10. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +3,758
    As said, make sure options are set to Fastest (not Shortest).
    I use Garmin BaseCamp on a PC (Mac is also supported) to pre-plan route and then transfer over to Camper 760. There are additional routing options in this software.

Be aware if you increase the weight over 7.5t it will treat you as an HGV and "nag you" if you breach restrictions for that vehicle type.

You can delete the MHF favourites, but can be convoluted \ time consuming, by -
    • Power on sat nav (obviously!)
    • After you "Agreed" to the safety message on the first screen -
    • select "Where To?"
    • select "Favourites" on right
    • select "three bars" at top left
    • select "Delete Favourites"
    • tick "Select All"
    • click "Delete"
    As you have selected all it will, obviously, delete all favourites including ACSI, etc! Your other option is to individually select in the list that appears after "Delete Favourites" (hundreds \ thousands!).

Edit - just a thought. If you connect the unit to a pc you should be able to access the files on the sat nav through Windows Explorer and delete the MHF files (there will be three of them) from there but you're on your own on that one!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    • Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Clarky

Clarky Funster

Ratings:
    +3,377
    Could that be classed as discrimination?
    My mum always told me it was wrong to look down on the afflicted. :D:D

Richard.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. BDW

BDW Funster

Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks for all your replys will report success when I return from France

13. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Ratings:
    +3,370
    Given that the 760/770 is a larger unit than the drivelux 50 which I have at the moment I was wondering if the larger unit is prone to slip or move position on rough roads. The ball and socket appear the same size as my drivelux and that is prone to slip so before I take the plunge I would welcome comments from 760/770 owners please.

14. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

Ratings:
    +15,163
    I have mine for multi vehicle use. Car, Moho and wagon.
    On the wagon setting (14' 7"h, 8' 6"w, 60' like and 44 t) it was the only sat nav that got me to a particular company that has weight and height limits on alternate routes.

• Like it Like it x 2
  15. gerry mcg

gerry mcg Funster

Ratings:
    +674
    I just use the garmin MH copilot app on my iPad

16. glenn2926

glenn2926 Funster

Ratings:
    +1,027
    You need to put your weight as over 3.5 tonnes even if that is all you are. Otherwise the sat nav thinks it is in a car. I did this with mine and have not had a problem since.

17. maison

maison Funster

Ratings:
    +6,254
    We have had few problems with ours.

It appears to err on the side of safety avoiding roads which I would be happy to use, in our home area. When in a strange area I follow the SatNav instruction, even though it can add a few miles to the journey.

We have never been taken down an unsuitable route, but we are over 3.5 tonne and it is set accordingly.

It has never moved when in use either, the ball and socket joint holding it firm.

The only problem we have had is that, during the present heat wave here the unit overheated, being in the direct sunshine on the windscreen, in temperatures of 38/40C. The screen started to flicker. We removed it from the screen and all returned to normal.

Not a problem we need to worry about back in the UK methinks!

• Like it Like it x 2
  18. SpeedyDux

SpeedyDux Funster

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Erring on the side of caution - I try to position the Garmin close to the aircon outlet. High temperatures can mean early death for electrogadgets.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Smith and Sharp

Smith and Sharp Funster

Ratings:
    +7,265
    Yes mine moves on rough roads but I sort it for a while with a sweet wrapper around the ball, but it doesn't last long, as I have it mainly in one position I'm going to glue it to the ball...(n)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan Funster

Ratings:
    +306
    I had endless problems with the routing on my Garmin (not Camper), just weird! It's Live Traffic was also hopeless taking us away from one delay into another.
    Since I changed to TomTom with Live Traffic and subsequently the Camper version, there's just no comparison and, of course, TomTom's traffic is second to none, because of the various ways in which it collects its data.