Garmin sat nav 760 camper (1 Viewer)

May 16, 2015
Reading
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2015
I have a garmin 76 camper sat nav it is on Motorhome settings and I have increased my dimensions. But it still tries to send me down little country lanes with grass growing in the middle. Any suggestions

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I assume you have it set to 'camper' rather than 'car'. It does make a difference.
Also, set to 'fastest' rather than 'shortest' route.
Basic stuff I know but the settings do mean it plots different routes.

Ours is generally very good and has taken us many thousands of miles both here and in Europe but you do have to keep an eye on where it wants to take you. I find it tends to be over cautious when route planning, taking us on major roads and often ignoring good short cuts. When I plot a route I always check it against a map and then put in waypoints to adjust it to the route I prefer.
Just occasionally it will try and take us down a track but that is usually when we have gone off its planned route and it is trying to take us back to that route. Mrs Garmin often takes quite a while to get it into her head that we don't want/can't go the way she planned. Diversions for road works often cause that problem.

Richard.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
We use a 760 with a 10.5t motorhome. Don't have much of a problem. Remember, that it can only calculate on what it knows and methinks it only knows the dimensions of main type roads.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
Following this thread....I have exactly the same problem! If I don't follow the planned route it tries to take me down narrow country lanes, (some with "no HGV" signs) to get back on track. Will check the "fastest" not "shortest " setting.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I considered buying one of these but I'll be honest I found the £300+ price tag a little scary and I've bought a fairly cheap £50 truck Sat nav ( just ordered it so I'll report on that once I've used it a bit)

I was wondering though if there were benefits to one specifically for motorhomes over trucks as both take the weights and dimensions etc.

Up till now I've not really used sat nav much I tend to look at a map and have a rough idea where I'm going and just follow signs, but I figured for touring the continent and finding places others suggest on here etc that a satnav may be helpful

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Truck sat navs are more slanted in that direction with the dangerous goods, service POI and other programs like drivers hours etc .
You dont get caravan site POI like you do on the motorhome marketed ones . The basics are pretty much the same .
Faster rather than shorter is as mentioned more set and relax with larger vehicles , and you do need to be careful with diversions
I used to run with two sat navs in Europe with one set faster and the other shorter and then select which to follow one was with the much bigger screen and It was used to get a bigger picture overall view of the route . Sounds complicated but was pretty easy once you got the hang of it , and gave the co pilot something to do :sneaky::D

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
As said, make sure options are set to Fastest (not Shortest).
I use Garmin BaseCamp on a PC (Mac is also supported) to pre-plan route and then transfer over to Camper 760. There are additional routing options in this software.

Be aware if you increase the weight over 7.5t it will treat you as an HGV and "nag you" if you breach restrictions for that vehicle type.

I have been thinking of getting one of these, does anyone know if it's possible to delete the pre installed Motorhome Facts poi and icon as I don't want this on the device.

You can delete the MHF favourites, but can be convoluted \ time consuming, by -
  • Power on sat nav (obviously!)
  • After you "Agreed" to the safety message on the first screen -
  • select "Where To?"
  • select "Favourites" on right
  • select "three bars" at top left
  • select "Delete Favourites"
  • tick "Select All"
  • click "Delete"
As you have selected all it will, obviously, delete all favourites including ACSI, etc! Your other option is to individually select in the list that appears after "Delete Favourites" (hundreds \ thousands!).

Edit - just a thought. If you connect the unit to a pc you should be able to access the files on the sat nav through Windows Explorer and delete the MHF files (there will be three of them) from there but you're on your own on that one!

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I have been thinking of getting one of these, does anyone know if it's possible to delete the pre installed Motorhome Facts poi and icon as I don't want this on the device.
Could that be classed as discrimination?
My mum always told me it was wrong to look down on the afflicted. :D:D

Richard.

OP
OP
Teddy B
May 16, 2015
Reading
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for all your replys will report success when I return from France

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Given that the 760/770 is a larger unit than the drivelux 50 which I have at the moment I was wondering if the larger unit is prone to slip or move position on rough roads. The ball and socket appear the same size as my drivelux and that is prone to slip so before I take the plunge I would welcome comments from 760/770 owners please.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Following this thread....I have exactly the same problem! If I don't follow the planned route it tries to take me down narrow country lanes, (some with "no HGV" signs) to get back on track. Will check the "fastest" not "shortest " setting.
I have mine for multi vehicle use. Car, Moho and wagon.
On the wagon setting (14' 7"h, 8' 6"w, 60' like and 44 t) it was the only sat nav that got me to a particular company that has weight and height limits on alternate routes.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
You need to put your weight as over 3.5 tonnes even if that is all you are. Otherwise the sat nav thinks it is in a car. I did this with mine and have not had a problem since.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have had few problems with ours.

It appears to err on the side of safety avoiding roads which I would be happy to use, in our home area. When in a strange area I follow the SatNav instruction, even though it can add a few miles to the journey.

We have never been taken down an unsuitable route, but we are over 3.5 tonne and it is set accordingly.

It has never moved when in use either, the ball and socket joint holding it firm.

The only problem we have had is that, during the present heat wave here the unit overheated, being in the direct sunshine on the windscreen, in temperatures of 38/40C. The screen started to flicker. We removed it from the screen and all returned to normal.

Not a problem we need to worry about back in the UK methinks!

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The only problem we have had is that, during the present heat wave here the unit overheated, being in the direct sunshine on the windscreen, in temperatures of 38/40C. The screen started to flicker. We removed it from the screen and all returned to normal.

Not a problem we need to worry about back in the UK methinks!

Erring on the side of caution - I try to position the Garmin close to the aircon outlet. High temperatures can mean early death for electrogadgets.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Given that the 760/770 is a larger unit than the drivelux 50 which I have at the moment I was wondering if the larger unit is prone to slip or move position on rough roads. The ball and socket appear the same size as my drivelux and that is prone to slip so before I take the plunge I would welcome comments from 760/770 owners please.

Yes mine moves on rough roads but I sort it for a while with a sweet wrapper around the ball, but it doesn't last long, as I have it mainly in one position I'm going to glue it to the ball...(n)

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
I had endless problems with the routing on my Garmin (not Camper), just weird! It's Live Traffic was also hopeless taking us away from one delay into another.
Since I changed to TomTom with Live Traffic and subsequently the Camper version, there's just no comparison and, of course, TomTom's traffic is second to none, because of the various ways in which it collects its data.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
I had endless problems with the routing on my Garmin (not Camper), just weird! It's Live Traffic was also hopeless taking us away from one delay into another.
Since I changed to TomTom with Live Traffic and subsequently the Camper version, there's just no comparison and, of course, TomTom's traffic is second to none, because of the various ways in which it collects its data.
Think TomTom have stopped selling the Camper version. I was looking for one following problems with my 760 and closed roads in Taunton in 2016 (described on another MHF thread).

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
There are slight problems with all if we want to particularly high light them but as Garmin, there may be some occasional issues but the authorities won't have tom tom in large ships and aircraft.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Have had my 770 about a moth now been to france and it has been good no problems at all
Yep. Had my 660 for over 12 months. 6 weeks in France, Switzerland and Italy with not a glitch in Moho and use 5 days a week with wagon and best one and I have tried Chinese ones and Tom Tom.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
So when I order my "Chinese 660" model does it come with Rice? :D

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
So when I order my "Chinese 660" model does it come with Rice? :D
It's either the Chinese OR the 660!
images (5)_2.jpg

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
have followed this thread and various others regarding the garmin sat navs , as our garmin(660 camper) has just been one problem after another. All settings checked for fastest route /proper vehicle dimensions/full charge etc .

a) seems to initially insist on defaulting to the green eco (?) route option.
b) even after picking the purple (fastest?) option , it wants to wander off pre planned route .Gives the impression that it does not maintain pre chosen options.
c) takes no notice of vehicle size inputed , given some of the routes it devises.
d) the "official" and supplied lead is apparently the wrong one , or so the insistent pop up on screen message tells us. Despite the unit picking up on eg reported delays enroute. So the lead must be the correct one as it acts as the traffic conditions antennae .
e) worst event was in France, just came off the eurotunnel , set the unit up for destination and the unit froze on the location we were on.No amount of restarting/factory reset etc would budge it from the page it was stuck on.Solution was hook up to PC and update software .
f) updating .... that takes forever and a day .Loads of online forums report problems with garmin site, ref updating maps etc. And it doesnt support unit being connected to chromebooks for updating.

Summary
bad points = all of above.
good points = clear screen.

Just wish I could find a way to strip out the garmin mapping /settings etc and load it with say iGo or co-pilot.

Last edited:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
d) the "official" and supplied lead is apparently the wrong one , or so the insistent pop up on screen message tells us. Despite the unit picking up on eg reported delays enroute. So the lead must be the correct one as it acts as the traffic conditions antennae .
I had that pop up on the screen last week and I connected to the PC and updated and it cleared it.
To be fair, I would contact Garmin because I've never had a problem with any of their Sat navs but I do know people who have but a call to Garmin is worthwhile.
My 660 Camper works brilliantly with either my Moho or wagon and it's accurate. Speak to Garmin.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have had a Garmin 560 Dezl truck satnav for a few years. This is an earlier (and sightly smaller) version of the current 660/760 series. Generally it has been very good but does sometimes choose odd routes. Remember that it can only use the information that is contained in the map programme regarding size and condition of roads. At least mine displays an icon if it has no 'truck-related' information about the road that I am on. Also, many motorhomers seem to be a bit frightened of small roads - remember that milk tankers, refuse lorries and sometimes logging trucks use them so a motorhome is relative 'child's play'.
I would forget about 'camper' versions and buy the standard truck model into which you programme your weight and dimensions. You can load all the poi files you require then without having to use or modify what has been pre-installed. E.g. I have things like C&CC Club Sites and CS; Camping Car Infos and CamperContact (for the countries I am visiting); English Heritage; RSPB Reserves; Countrywide Farmers LPG stations etc.
I too have had useful help from Garmin when I encountered a problem a couple of years ago: it just needed a hard re-set. You do have to be prepared to wait for an answer on the phone though but they respond to emails too, which saves you hanging on.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have had a Garmin 560 Dezl truck satnav for a few years. This is an earlier (and sightly smaller) version of the current 660/760 series. Generally it has been very good but does sometimes choose odd routes. Remember that it can only use the information that is contained in the map programme regarding size and condition of roads. At least mine displays an icon if it has no 'truck-related' information about the road that I am on. Also, many motorhomers seem to be a bit frightened of small roads - remember that milk tankers, refuse lorries and sometimes logging trucks use them so a motorhome is relative 'child's play'.
I would forget about 'camper' versions and buy the standard truck model into which you programme your weight and dimensions. You can load all the poi files you require then without having to use or modify what has been pre-installed. E.g. I have things like C&CC Club Sites and CS; Camping Car Infos and CamperContact (for the countries I am visiting); English Heritage; RSPB Reserves; Countrywide Farmers LPG stations etc.
I too have had useful help from Garmin when I encountered a problem a couple of years ago: it just needed a hard re-set. You do have to be prepared to wait for an answer on the phone though but they respond to emails too, which saves you hanging on.
I've tried camper settings on mine and find that avoids everything on a journey that might add interest. It simply stays on motorway, or dual carriageway, or A road. I've put it back to car mode and simply observe roadsigns. My van is only 6M + trailer so the car setting works for me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back