Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
The Garmin ransomware outage is getting to be a drag :(
Good job the Nuvi sat nav is working & doesn't need to talk to base (y)

But the Oregon is feeling neglected - the handheld GPSr I use for walks & cycle route logging (n)

Any one else's navigation feeling isolated? bike, car, boat or plane? (yes, some planes are grounded due to out of date info onboard :eek: )

OP
OP
kevenh

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
1595775271545.png

Could be a slow roll out :(
I'll check the phone app maybe that's up :)

OP
OP
kevenh

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I’m not having any Garmin joy ☹️

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Isn't the main issue impacting on aviation navigation and personal fitness devices rather than sat navs?

OP
OP
kevenh

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I’m getting nowhere still. Need to pop round to Gellyneck ’s 😃

Garmin are making slow progress. This is what Garmin say: -
17D3B0AC-6ACB-4DA6-B401-6155EDD63039.jpeg

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
They've been attacked by Russian hackers who are ransoming significant parts of Garmin's system for $10 million. If they pay the ransom, they'll break US laws.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Apparently it was only a server in Taiwan dealing with the aviation sector, the rest has been shut down as a precaution until the problem is solved.

OP
OP
kevenh

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
The Garmin Connect app is back - at least for showing past activities. 👍🏻
The device syncs attempted during the outage are missing so weren’t stored locally.🤔

Hopefully next sync the missed data will get grabbed from the device I use for rides & walks but worse case I’ll have to go old school & find the .fit files to upload myself 🤪😃

edit: back but with some features missing - mostly just due to the backlog a multi day outage causes I guess. https://connect.garmin.com/status/

Last edited:

Wildcampers

Free Member
May 19, 2020
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Gatcombe
Exp
Since 2010
We bought a new Garmin 890 a few days ago.
No problem downloading the software and map updates.
But the campsite directory and voice commands are just not there........tried just about everything.

Before we came across the outage situation we rang Halfords to arrange a refund and order us in a TomTom Go Camper instead.

May hang on though and see what happens once this Garmin problem gets resolved.

Still in two minds to exchange the unit for a TomTom though.

What would you do?? :rolleyes::giggle:.......and please don't say buy a map:LOL:

OP
OP
kevenh

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
We bought a new Garmin 890 a few days ago.
No problem downloading the software and map updates.
But the campsite directory and voice commands are just not there........tried just about everything.

Before we came across the outage situation we rang Halfords to arrange a refund and order us in a TomTom Go Camper instead.

May hang on though and see what happens once this Garmin problem gets resolved.

Still in two minds to exchange the unit for a TomTom though.

What would you do?? :rolleyes::giggle:.......and please don't say buy a map:LOL:
It was an opinion formed years ago on limited real comparisons but I wouldn’t drop Garmin for TomTom.
The user interface was more logical/useful to me on a Garmin.
And having more than one Garmin device means the basic interface is kept for me 😀

If I’m in the front passenger seat of a friend‘s car & their sat nav isn’t Garmin it’s always a chore to learn how to do simple things like use just a postcode or how to navigate to a location near to the info you have to hand.

but that’s just over familiarity with one company’s user interface.

TL;DR if you’ve not got a particular sat nav company’s UI to unlearn, the choice between Garmin or TomTom or another is easier to make now than later.
Me, I’d choose Garmin. They’ve had their ransomware hit, could be a different sat nav company next.

edit: sorry, quite a big clarity edit & more rambles... 😳

OP
OP
kevenh

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Just managed to sync my Garmin watch with the Connect app for the first time in 4 days do it looks like they’ve fixed some of the problems . I still can’t put my weight in but that’s not a bad thing :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: .
I was able to add weight OK & later got the GPSr to sync to the all for the missed rides & walks.. 😎

Wildcampers

Free Member
May 19, 2020
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Gatcombe
Exp
Since 2010
It was an opinion formed years ago on limited real comparisons but I wouldn’t drop Garmin for TomTom.
The user interface was more logical/useful to me on a Garmin.
And having more than one Garmin device means the basic interface is kept for me 😀

If I’m in the front passenger seat of a friend‘s car & their sat nav isn’t Garmin it’s always a chore to learn how to do simple things like use just a postcode or how to navigate to a location near to the info you have to hand.

but that’s just over familiarity with one company’s user interface.

TL;DR if you’ve not got a particular sat nav company’s UI to unlearn, the choice between Garmin or TomTom or another is easier to make now than later.
Me, I’d choose Garmin. They’ve had their ransomware hit, could be a different sat nav company next.

edit: sorry, quite a big clarity edit & more rambles... 😳

Thanks for the helpful reply Kev......I will persevere with the Garmin I think (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back