Garmin - downloading POIs (1 Viewer)

Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
We have had a TomTom Go 920 since 2008 and it's been brilliant and incredibly easy to use. Some time ago, without probably researching fully and aware that the TT was old and may no longer get support, we bought a TomTom 5100. What a mistake! Hopeless, particularly for POIs and so counter-intuitive compared to the 920. It's now in the classifieds if anyone is brave enough.

So a BMW R1250R was the justification to get a Garmin BMW Motoradd Nav VI so we could replace the Go 920 with something I could use on the bike and in the motorhome.

I now want to put POIs into the Nav VI and have done a bit of research and downloaded Garmin POI loader. I want to get it to work right first time and make sure use is as close as possible to the old TT. In particular so that I can find each subset category easily on the Garmin - eg Aires, LPG, Auchan, Aldi, Archies Camping Card, etc, etc.. I think downloader suggests a main folder on the PC and then sub-folders for each category.

Could someone point me in the right direction and say whether this is right or not and whether each subset category will appear clearly on the Garmin. We used to plan routes on the TT, both in advance and then live, going from one POI to another and I want to be able to do this with the Garmin.

The Garmin also has a Favourites box - does this work like the TT - picking say a particular POI and then saving it as a Favourite?

I don't want to start putting a lot of POIs onto the Garmin and then find I should have done it all differently so any advice at this stage would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, Archies gives a choice of Garmin (CSV) or GPX which I understand to be bigger files capable of holding more info. I would have thought the latter is better because it might include other data like phone numbers etc. Does it matter?

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I have a Zumo 660, I have dowloaded POI's (aires) from other sites, but they are not catergorised, just loaded alphabetically.

I now find it easier to just download POI's as when I want into my favorites.

As for Archies, I downloaded all of Europe into my laptop as a file that Mapsource can read (it's a big file).

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We've got a Garmin 760 Camper and use BaseCamp to do pre-planning on Windows laptop \ desktop. There's also a Mac version of this.

I don't use POILoader but have previously used Extra POI Loader (no longer updated, and beware of "plagiarised" versions out there, but still works very well) to load POI's into BaseCamp. This software is more flexible than Garmin's loader software (from memory). You can then move the POI's around in BaseCamp before transferring them onto the sat nav.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back