Aug 7, 2019
Worcester (UK)
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all,
I have a Garmin Campervan 770 LMT-D which I connect to the internet at home (wireless) to update. Everything down loads fine but I it takes over 7 hours to download / install the new maps and update any new system features.
You would probably expect it to take this long when new and plugged in for the first time after being sat on a warehouse shelf for 12 months but was surprised that it takes 7 hours every time since when my old car Tomtom takes about 20 mins to update all the new maps!
Is there a faster method and does yours take so long to update?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hi all,
I have a Garmin Campervan 770 LMT-D which I connect to the internet at home (wireless) to update. Everything down loads fine but I it takes over 7 hours to download / install the new maps and update any new system features.
You would probably expect it to take this long when new and plugged in for the first time after being sat on a warehouse shelf for 12 months but was surprised that it takes 7 hours every time since when my old car Tomtom takes about 20 mins to update all the new maps!
We've got the previous version (760 LMT-D) and it takes around hour for ours to update. Having said that we've got 100Mb fibre broadband.
Your Garmin will be full Europe. Is your Tom Tom?

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
We have 770 and takes about an hour Max it starts with 5 hours and then keeps going down

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Hi all,
We have that model with full Euro maps. Takes normally around 40 minutes to download. Virgin Media 100meg.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I think it might be your internet that is slow. We have the same model and can take 1-2 hrs to update. I know our internet isn't the fastest.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I have the 760 and it says 4 to 5 hours initially but very quickly goes down and usually takes around an hour.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I will swap you a European road map 2020 for your garmin satnav ....

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I’ve got the Avtex version and that take a long time and a lot of data to f gg o the updates.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
As others have said, it's your internet speed that is causing you an issue. Seven hours to update a map is well.........crap!
I too have this model and Virgin Media 100Mb broadband download speed. I can update the whole map in around 30 minutes. However, Garmin in their stupidity do not provide you with just the parts of the map that need updating but a whole new map and this is why it's such a big download. Up to 10 GB. I spoke to their technical people and asked them why they did not just update the changes to the existing map and they said this is something they were working on as they accept 10 GB is asking too much for an update, especially when people are on the road and many with restricted internet capacity. That was over a year ago and nothing has changed yet. On the upside it's only 3-4 updates a year. Safe Travels. In the meantime use somebody else's Wifi for your updates.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
[QUOTE="PhilandMena, post: 3879110, . However, Garmin in their stupidity do not provide you with just the parts of the map that need updating but a whole new map and this is why it's such a big download. Up to 10 GB.
[/QUOTE]
Think yourself lucky, my car one is 30gb and has to be downloaded to a usb stick then plugged into the car to update, again the entire map is being updated.

OP
OP
Kev and Ju
Aug 7, 2019
Worcester (UK)
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for all of the info all. I'm suspecting that it could be my internet download speed. We've recently changed from Sky to Talktalk but the downloads speed is pretty similar. I've just done a speed check and I'm down loading at almost 3mbps. Is that any good? We live in an area where high speed fibre BB is not available so I have a really basic package which is great for browsing / on line banking / emails etc etc but probably not for downloading loads of data such as an entire map of Europe.

Your Garmin will be full Europe. Is your Tom Tom?

Yes the Tom tom is full Europe and like many have said it starts off at 5 hrs and within 10 mins its down to 45 mins left to complete so I understand what you mean.

I will swap you a European road map 2020 for your garmin satnav ....

Got one of those too. Give me an old school paper map anyday, its just that they're so convenient when your passenger is not so hot on map reading. Know what I mean?

Just a thought? I wonder if I connect the sat nav direct to the PC to download / update instead of updating it using wi-fi? Would that speed things up?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Yes! 3Mbps is very slow and this is the cause of your long download time. Yes! If you connect directly to your Lap-Top with a cable it will be faster than WiFi. Faster still if you can connect directly to your router.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Download and install Garmin Express onto your laptop.
Once installed connect your sat nav to your laptop using a USB cable (one should have come with your sat nav).
Run Garmin Express and "register" your sat nav as a new device.
Run Garmin Express and it will find any software \ firmware and map updates for the sat nav.
If you can , connect your laptop to your router by ethernet cable rather than wifi as this should give you a more stable connection. 3Mb\s is a very slow internet connection. We have a 100Mb\s and could go to 200Mb\s if we wanted to pay more.

OP
OP
Kev and Ju
Aug 7, 2019
Worcester (UK)
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
I'm a newbie
Download and install Garmin Express onto your laptop.
Once installed connect your sat nav to your laptop using a USB cable (one should have come with your sat nav).
Run Garmin Express and "register" your sat nav as a new device.
Run Garmin Express and it will find any software \ firmware and map updates for the sat nav.
If you can , connect your laptop to your router by ethernet cable rather than wifi as this should give you a more stable connection. 3Mb\s is a very slow internet connection. We have a 100Mb\s and could go to 200Mb\s if we wanted to pay more.

Yes. Next time I need to update / download maps etc I'l go done this route. There's a very good / short video on YouTube that explains the procedure which looks very straightforward.

OP
OP
Kev and Ju
Aug 7, 2019
Worcester (UK)
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
I'm a newbie
UPDATE TO MY BB WOES - So, we currently have my son at home with us who has temporarily returned from Boston (MA) due to Covid-19. He complained that our internet is so slow and intermittent that he cant conduct his video conferencing with his colleagues in the US.

So we bit the bullet and upgraded to Talktalk Super Fibre BB which should have given us 60 Mbps. However even after the upgrade we struggled to get 9 Mbps. Not happy. So we ran a line check through the TT service centre which immediately identified a fault on our line. In less than I received an email and SMS confirming that a BT engineer would be looking into this in 2-3 days.

However the following afternoon a BT Open Reach engineer was on our doorstep to investigate. Impressed:giggle:. After changing the face plate where the line comes into our property he identified the fault was at the BT junction box at the bottom of our road and went off to investigate. Sure enough he found a botched / bad connection that feeds our property. After a quick rewire / fix we instantly have about 50 Mbps.

Excellent customer service from TT and one happy ending!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back