Garmin camper satnav doesn't like changing land masses! (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Every time we cross the water between countries even if satnav is switched off it plays up and refuses to switch on for a few days.
Does anyone else suffer with this? We even had to buy another to cover these strops! Advice anyone?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Perhaps it can't swim so takes fright and hides ... ???? :rolleyes:

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I have never experienced the problem you mention with my Garmin but I have experienced some mapping issues due to the map updates being too large for the device memory. I now 'tailor' the countries I upload using Garmin Map Install to avoid repetition of my issue.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Only water we cross is the English Channel and Mrs Garmin seems to take that in her stride.
I even plot French routes from Folkestone without problems. She just plots the route by going through the tunnel.

Richard.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
If you have the Sat Nav switched off and then you switch it on in a strange place or far from when it last found some Satelites it takes quite a few minutes for it to realise where it is.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Last time we used the tunnel I left my sat nav on and it even moved with us under the water. It did show that we arrived in the U.K. Before we left France though. Which looked a little strange until the current time on it changed half way through the tunnel.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Going back to the 90's when I first used gps on my boat it could take a very long time for it to re-establish contact after being moved. I seem to recall you could feed it an approximate lat and long to help speed up the process. These days most units seem to do it easily, perhaps they just ask Google which always knows where you are and exactly what you are doing.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Every time we cross the water between countries even if satnav is switched off it plays up and refuses to switch on for a few days.
Does anyone else suffer with this? We even had to buy another to cover these strops! Advice anyone?

Did yours show a message that said "Waiting for better accuracy"? Or was it simply a low battery voltage problem?

Our Garmin camper 760 showed this message just before going into a massive strop. After entering an address for the next journey, then pressing GO! it stubbornly kept going back to the map screen indicating where we were. Even switching it off and on again several times didn't work. A couple of days later I backed the Stanav's files up on the laptop, intending to try a reset. If that didn't work I was going to call the dreaded customer support number. But before such drastic action I thought I would try changing the RV profile. That fixed the strop. Not sure why. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Been travelling up through Scandinavia since April and our Garmin Dezl has been a right pain in the arse it's going to get the big heave ho when we get home,might even run the van over it!

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Never had a problem. A few months ago We set off from St Albans with the whole route set to Twin Lakes in France. Even in the tunnel, it seemed to know where we were, it must be picking up a signal from somewhere ??? a bit like a mobile on the underground. It looks weird to watch the little motor home icon moving around on a blue screen. :)

By the way to all those going to a Twin Lakes, you are going to hate it. And, as for the gestapo owner guy. :sneaky:

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
Did yours show a message that said "Waiting for better accuracy"? Or was it simply a low battery voltage problem?

Our Garmin camper 760 showed this message just before going into a massive strop. After entering an address for the next journey, then pressing GO! it stubbornly kept going back to the map screen indicating where we were. Even switching it off and on again several times didn't work. A couple of days later I backed the Stanav's files up on the laptop, intending to try a reset. If that didn't work I was going to call the dreaded customer support number. But before such drastic action I thought I would try changing the RV profile. That fixed the strop. Not sure why. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

That is almost word for word what happened with our garmin , the 660 camper. We had just got off the train at Calais ,stopping at a petrol station to set the thing up for our 1st destination aire. And same as yours it went to the screen indicating where we were and stubbornly stayed on that. No amount of restarting would fix the problem.....Thankfully we still had our trusty xgody sat nav in the vehicle., which set up no problem and lasted us for the rest of the trip.

On returning home I switched the garmin on and it again locked itself on its present destination . The fix was linking it to the PC and downloading latest files , it then worked ok. Its as if the thing couldnt (maybe still cant) recognise country borders , I really dont know.

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
My one wouldn't recognise the west ramp coach park at heathrow airport , not even the post code ,but my 8 year old tom tom that hasn't been updated for 3 years took us straight there.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
It could be looking for the wrong satellites due to distance from last use. . A few years ago we used our Garmin Streetpilot in the US and initially we had a problem getting it to work and the same when we returned to uk.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
My Camper 760, has a habit of re-routing back to it`s own default, even after checking it has accepted a "Via", It HATES doing what I want it to do, just wants to do it`s own thing!:mad:. (Woman?) (Dons Grandads Tin hat and prepares for incoming!!):D2

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Two or three trips abroad each year, this year visiting France, Spain and Portugal. No problems with ours, so far.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Gamin 660 camper we had to purchase in France in April this year.
About 300 nicker I think
Having had it out there and a little play, I am not as disappointed as I thought I would be for the price having had the chines satnavs which last 2 years max for 50-60 nicker and occasionally have a bit of a strop.
No problems til she wouldn't work when going down to Bournemouth and wouldn't start. Long story cut short - all of my charging leads are useless. Just bought another 12 volt charger for it having charged it up at home overnight and it works. I am quietly impressed with it especially having downloaded all the aires of france from Searchforsites onto it and france passion etc

Reactions: Pia

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My Camper 760, has a habit of re-routing back to it`s own default, even after checking it has accepted a "Via", It HATES doing what I want it to do, just wants to do it`s own thing!:mad:. (Woman?) (Dons Grandads Tin hat and prepares for incoming!!):D2
Of course it wants to do the original route ... being 'female' it knows best!:D2

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
Ours is fine...have you got the voice activitated one?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Only serious suggestion I can make is to turn off the gps/location setting* then turn it back on as this works with our tablet when it has a strop (* if you can do this on Garmins ... I've never had one).

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
I have no problems with ours, but with electronic equipment first suggest it to re-boot it. Make sure its fully turned off not put into standby. Prees and hold the button until it asks if you want to power off. After powing off wait a good few seconds before trying to power on again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back