Garmin Camper Sat Nav 770LMT-D (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Up dated my Garmin Express this morning and downloaded the latest map update that was released today.
Garmin Express crashed on first attempt but completed download on second attempt and completely removed all my MHF & Camper Contacts information including both icons. Reloaded maps with same outcome. Customer support staff not available to respond to help requests and been like that all day long. This is the second error that has been introduced in the last two map updates for this high end product. The last error their engineers are still working on and will not be available for release untill sometime early 2018. April by my estimate. Poor performance from a world leading supplier of Sat Navs. I will email their CEO if and when I get his contact details.

Molls-Phot

Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
Lee-on-Solent
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 340
Exp
Since November 2009
Thanks for the user advice. I'm in the market for a new satnav and will avoid this one as you're not the first to report this problem.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I have a Garmin sat nav and couldn't recommend it. Takes hours to upload the lifetime updates and then wouldn't take any coordinates in France. Postcodes are useless in France.
Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I have never updated mine, but it always gets me to where I want to go....
Don't think I'll bother
Cheers, Dave:xThumb:

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I lost my MHF and camper contacts the last time I updated mine also.

John.
Did you ever get them back ? Mine has also just lost the ACSI contacts too. Garmin support overwhelmed today, could not get through. I want to email very senior management in the UK and vent my spleen but the buggers are too clever at hiding themselves behind the cannon fodder.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Seems they only have a general manager in the UK !

won't let you copy and paste so here's a screen shot.

image.png

Last edited:

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Did you ever get them back ? Mine has also just lost the ACSI contacts too. Garmin support overwhelmed today, could not get through. I want to email very senior management in the UK and vent my spleen but the buggers are too clever at hiding themselves behind the cannon fodder.

I didn’t get them back as I’m not very computer savvie and thought it was something that I had done wrong.

John.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
This is most helpful. Thank you so much. Pissed off email sent! I welcome the email address of any senior Garmin management, especially those on holiday having a great time. I'm on a mission.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
The last time I uploaded with a Garmin it just kept using Data until I noticed it had cost me over £40 and still downloading .didn't find out what the problem was .That was two years ago .As new roads don't tend to be built overnight I use it in France and up to now has worked ok ,but would not recommend or buy onother one .

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
Takes hours to upload the lifetime updates and then wouldn't take any coordinates in France.
I am looking to buy a new sat nav and this Garmin appeared to be ideal, I didn't realise when it said lifetime updates
it was referring to the time it takes to update.
So does anyone have any recommendations for a reliable sat nav?

Ray

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
In my humble opinion the best current satnavs are on mobile phones, Google maps and Co-Pilot. Google is best but you use up data unless you download a specific route, Co-Pilot doesn’t use data as you download the maps by Wi-fi, you can also buy a ‘Caravan’ version which you load with your vehicle dimensions to help avoid unsuitable roads.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
The last time I uploaded with a Garmin it just kept using Data until I noticed it had cost me over £40 and still downloading .didn't find out what the problem was .That was two years ago .As new roads don't tend to be built overnight I use it in France and up to now has worked ok ,but would not recommend or buy onother one .
Maps should be downloaded/updated with a secure WiFi connection, I'm surprised any maps were downloaded just using data.

It does take awhile to update but other then that, no issues at all with the Garmin unis I've owned.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
@PhilandMena did you get your Garmin sorted out.

John.
Yes and No John. The problem I posted about above was corrected very quickly and I know have all my ACSI and other apps POI's etc available. This was corrected by simply downloading the next update which was ready a week or so later. (They got their act together very quickly on that one as they would have been receiving a lot of complaint) The other problem is taking longer to fix (which is not a show stopper) and I suspect most user's are not even aware this error is on their device. (The error is about a broken link between poi's showing on the map and the information that should be displayed when that POI is selected. In essence, it does not work. Garmin have their engineers on the probleem and the fix is expected to be rolled out mid Jan latest).
So after two error's you would think I would be condemning it and on the contrary I think it's a brilliant Sat Nav. Clearly I high end product that has so many features on it nothing else comes close to it. Would I buy it again! Yes in a heartbeat. The updates do take long, (dependant on your internet speed) but only one every 4 months for the maps and whilst you can update the speed cameras on a daily basis this update is only put together every two weeks (according to the Garmin guy I last spoke to) and these take a couple of minutes.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
The only issue I have had with mine while updating, is it does not like to delete the old maps off the SD card while updating so runs out of space and does not install everything, I now manually delete the old maps off the SD card before updating and it now updates quickly installs everything with no issues.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I've been using an older Garmin 760 for several years now and in general it is very good.
Map updates take an age, mostly because our broadband is rubbish at home. Set it up and leave for several hours.

The routing can be cranky at times and you have to check it against a map before you set off. I have mine set to 'Quickest route' and it will try and take us on longer, roundabout routes to get onto a motorway, which might be a fraction quicker but will use more fuel.

The Garmin is based on the truck version so you set your size and weight. Our van is 4.5 tonnes so it, very efficiently, keeps us well away from the many 3.5 tonne weight restrictions in France. Problem is, most of these restrictions are for goods vehicles and don't apply to Camping-cars.
One of our regular French routes is through Orleans and down the D2020. There are HGV weight limits on that route so Garmin wants us to go through some 'Micky Mouse' twists and turns to get round them. I resolve that by changing the vehicle settings to 'car' but then risk being taken down roads with low bridges.
Also, Garmin thinks the speed limit for Camping-cars is 90kph (the limit for HGV's) on French motorways rather than 110kph for over 3.5 tonne.

Someone said they couldn't use co-ords in France but I use them all the time and never had a problem.

As well as the Garmin I also use Co-Pilot Caravan on my iPad.
Garmin takes ages to plot the route, particularly if you add a few waypoints. Co-Pilot on my new iPad Pro is lightning fast. Still get the odd cranky route but mostly it is sensible.

I think if I were in the market for a new sat-nag now I would stick to Co-Pilot and save a chunk of dosh.
Just a word of warning though to iPad users. You do need the iPad to have GPS which means the version with a data sim card slot.

Richard.

Robert cardiff

Free Member
Oct 8, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Hymer 640 starline
Exp
4months
I've been using an older Garmin 760 for several years now and in general it is very good.
Map updates take an age, mostly because our broadband is rubbish at home. Set it up and leave for several hours.

The routing can be cranky at times and you have to check it against a map before you set off. I have mine set to 'Quickest route' and it will try and take us on longer, roundabout routes to get onto a motorway, which might be a fraction quicker but will use more fuel.

The Garmin is based on the truck version so you set your size and weight. Our van is 4.5 tonnes so it, very efficiently, keeps us well away from the many 3.5 tonne weight restrictions in France. Problem is, most of these restrictions are for goods vehicles and don't apply to Camping-cars.
One of our regular French routes is through Orleans and down the D2020. There are HGV weight limits on that route so Garmin wants us to go through some 'Micky Mouse' twists and turns to get round them. I resolve that by changing the vehicle settings to 'car' but then risk being taken down roads with low bridges.
Also, Garmin thinks the speed limit for Camping-cars is 90kph (the limit for HGV's) on French motorways rather than 110kph for over 3.5 tonne.

Someone said they couldn't use co-ords in France but I use them all the time and never had a problem.

As well as the Garmin I also use Co-Pilot Caravan on my iPad.
Garmin takes ages to plot the route, particularly if you add a few waypoints. Co-Pilot on my new iPad Pro is lightning fast. Still get the odd cranky route but mostly it is sensible.

I think if I were in the market for a new sat-nag now I would stick to Co-Pilot and save a chunk of dosh.
Just a word of warning though to iPad users. You do need the iPad to have GPS which means the version with a data sim card slot.

Richard.

very useful info thank you

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The only issue I have had with mine while updating, is it does not like to delete the old maps off the SD card while updating so runs out of space and does not install everything, I now manually delete the old maps off the SD card before updating and it now updates quickly installs everything with no issues.
If you use BaseCamp on a pc you also need to manually delete older versions of maps in two different locations, one where they're downloaded to and the other where they're installed to)!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I updated my Garmin Nuvicam to the latest maps just before Christmas. Turned the satnav on after the update was complete and all I got was a white screen with a little car waiting to drive off. There were no roads or towns shown, although it did tell me roads coming up as I drove.
So, I got onto Garmin and had a “chat” to one of their techs. After following his instructions ( reinstall maps, untick then retick the installed maps nothing changed, so I emailed Garmin about the problem but heard nothing for days over Christmas.
Meanwhile, I searched online and found out the procedure to reset the unit back to factory default.
First time I did it, all the maps showed up, but all roads were white and urban areas didn’t display in the right colours, second reset brought everything back and I didn’t lose any Favourites or History.
Then, I got an email from Garmin telling me they needed me to send the unit back to them for replacement as it was out of warranty, and they would replace it with a new one....... for £269!

Great customer service, all they were interested in was getting money of me, even though their software update had messed my unit up and they must have known the procedure to reset it.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I’ve still not got my MHF, Camper contacts or ACSI categories back on my newish Garmin 660.
I’ve bought a new laptop to update as my old one was really playing up, on the Garmin express site it says that my 660 is up to date but obviously it isn’t.
My laptop says that the 660 is 97% full but I can’t see how it is if it hasn’t got all its categories, I also contacted Garmin who have told me what to do but then my laptop says that there isn’t enough memory space to do this so now I’m truly stumped.

John.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I’ve still not got my MHF, Camper contacts or ACSI categories back on my newish Garmin 660.
I’ve bought a new laptop to update as my old one was really playing up, on the Garmin express site it says that my 660 is up to date but obviously it isn’t.
My laptop says that the 660 is 97% full but I can’t see how it is if it hasn’t got all its categories, I also contacted Garmin who have told me what to do but then my laptop says that there isn’t enough memory space to do this so now I’m truly stumped.

John.

Have got an sd card in your 660?
If not, I don't think the inbuilt memory has sufficient capacity to store latest versions of maps. Latest update is over 8Gb! This is on top of the installed software.
I always install map updates to a 16Gb sd card.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
@Gellyneck which sd card would you recommend.

john.
I would normally go for SanDisk. You should be able to get a 16Gb class 10 micro sd (including adapter which you won't need for sat nav but probably for laptop) for less than £10.
eg from Amazon https://www.*mazon.co.uk/SanDisk-microSDHC-Memory-Adapter-Performance/dp/B073K14CVB
problem posting link so replace the * with a!

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
@PhilandMena @Gellyneck thank you both for your help with my Garmin 660 I now have all my categories back after firing up my old laptop and followed Garmins instructions.

John.

Dear John,

Please try to reinstall your maps using the instructions below:

To do this on Windows and Mac OS X:

1. Connect a compatible Garmin device to the computer.
  2. Open Garmin Express.
  3. Select the Garmin device on the home page.
  4. Click Map Options
  5. Click Reinstall Map or Change Map1
o Click Reinstall Map to reinstall the same map region

o Click Change Map to choose a different map region

1. Agree to the Terms and Conditions
  2. Click Continue

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.