Garmin Camper 770 Speed limit errors (1 Viewer)

Meggers

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Richmond. N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Devon Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2017
Hi,
I'm using a Garmin Camper 770 and am generally very happy with it but occasionally it will show a lower speed limit than that signed. In the screen shot below the road was a normal A road with a 60mph limit but the satnav is showing a 50mph limit with a motorhome icon. I've set up a profile with 3.5 ton weight which shouldn't affect the speed limit. I've also tried lowering it to 2.8 ton in case it was applying the 3.05 ton unladen weight rule.
Has anyone else had a similar issue and if so have you found a cure.

Reduced Limit.png

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I too see this but mostly when in Europe and I suspect after reducing speed of French roads this is the likely cause after Garmin made some software adjustments.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 24, 2019
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096df
Exp
Over 30yrs and still learning
I have the same sat nav. The weight was programmed at 3700kg and it would take all the normal unrestricted routes frequently ignoring the 3.5t max signs in Europe and show speed limits appropriate for a 3.5t vehicle.
I just had the m/h uprated to 4000kg and reprogrammed the sat nav accordingly. It now recognises that some routes are unsuitable and shows the correct speed limits ?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
When we first got our 760 Camper (not 770) we did a couple of trial runs with the weight set at over 7.5t and increased dimensions to try and ensure it would stick to "larger" roads however soon changed that as it was giving us HGV speed limit restrictions, etc.
Having changed it to reflect actual weights and dimensions the only time I've seen "incorrect" speed limits is when these have recently been changed (and reasonably frequently when there has been increased limits due to recently completed or decreased limits due to newly started road works).

Would the speed limit on that road not be 50mph for a 3.5t motorhome but why it shows 50mph for a weight of 2.8t??? What does it show for the car profile?

OP
OP
Meggers

Meggers

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Richmond. N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Devon Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2017
Hi thanks for the comments. The maps and software are all up to date. I’ve emailed Garmin but they haven’t come up with anything useful. The limit on that road is signed as 60 so it should be the same for a Motorhome as long as the unladened weight is below 3050kg which mine is.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
When the map update was collated there may have been road works or restrictions along that road.....
Sometimes on mine it shows speed cameras when there is not but you can see that there has been road works along the road....

The maps information was correct at the time it was collected...

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
Do not have a Garmin but on our Snooper it showed similar incorrect speed limits. From Newark to Norwich using the A17 and A47. Where speed limits of 60 mph were displayed the Sat Nav was showing 50mph. On dual carriageways rated at 70mph the SN was showing 70 also. Sat Nav was set for under 3500kgs. All maps and software are up to date. Will give Snooper a ring next week.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Mine did the same (incorrectly) in France when set for a motorhome of 3500 kg GVW. It would show a reduced speed limit along with the motorhome symbol when the speed limit should have been the same as the displayed limit.

OP
OP
Meggers

Meggers

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Richmond. N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Devon Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2017
I've come to the conclusion it's probably errors in the database Garmin use to collect road speed limit info. On one stretch of road with a 40mph limit the sat nav changed to 30mph partway along with no change to signage. As Yorik said I don't rely on the sat nav but watch use the signs - it's just a little quirk in the system I guess Ill have to get used to.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
We had the same problem with our Snooper. Nearly a year of email contact and it was unresolved, so we bought the Garmin. Same problem on A roads. The odd thing is, it reverts to the correct limit of 60mph when going round roundabouts!

As Yorik said, ignore it and stick to signed limits.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Our Garmin 560dezl has a few roads near us which it thinks I am limited to 30mph on rather than the 50mph signed. I drive at 50mph with the Garmin bleeping at me. I am unable to update the maps and even if I could I would be loathe to as the maps sometimes freeze and Garmin have said they cant repair it but will offer me a discount on the 760/770. Not sure if I want to do that reading some of the issues.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Random incorrect limits are usually as a result of previous roadworks at the location and delays in that information being updated in the mapping.

Ian

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I have found quite often its due to road being derated and the database hasn't caught up , eg 30 into 40 , where 40 has been dropped to extension of 30 zone . similar with nsl being dropped to 50 road stretch.

Jul 30, 2017
Romney Marsh (St Mary's Bay)
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Since 2008
I have a Garmin Camper 660, it insisted on downloading a complete update last Friday and all went to rats. All I got when I turned the satnav on was a warning that no maps were installed, despite the fact that I had spent five hours after the installation of the new Garmin Express re-installing them. I had to clear the Garmin Express from my laptop and then re-boot the laptop and then re-install all the maps again. Hope this will help if anybody else is having a similar problem.

Bernie

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I updated the software in our 770 a few days ago and travelled home through a France yesterday. We were on a road with a speed limit of 130Kph we can do 110.
I was overtaking a line of trucks and watched my speed go up to about 100. The truck on my inside seemed to start speeding up but I didn’t remember increasing my speed.
The speed warning box on the satnav turned red and it pinged just as I spotted a speed camera on the right verge. I looked at the satnav speed and it showed 137kph!
I braked and it went down to 122 as I passed the camera, but it didn’t flash.
I was pretty sure I hadn’t gone above 110 so checked the video from the dash cam last night when I got home.
It shows me overtaking the truck at 64mph (103kph) and slowing to 58 as I approach the camera.

So, I don’t know if this is a one off caused by outside forces, or a result of the software update, but it performed fine for the next couple of hours.

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi,
I'm using a Garmin Camper 770 and am generally very happy with it but occasionally it will show a lower speed limit than that signed. In the screen shot below the road was a normal A road with a 60mph limit but the satnav is showing a 50mph limit with a motorhome icon. I've set up a profile with 3.5 ton weight which shouldn't affect the speed limit. I've also tried lowering it to 2.8 ton in case it was applying the 3.05 ton unladen weight rule.
Has anyone else had a similar issue and if so have you found a cure.

View attachment 320593
If you have a motor home and not a car then you should be doing 50 on

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I find that if you are, for example...
On a motorway... and pass under or over an A road... The Sat nav will pick up the lower A road limit for a time....

SpikeH

Free Member
Feb 5, 2018
Funster No
I have had this problem with both my earlier Garmin camper and the 770. Weights all programmed in as per instructions.

Despite several support emails I have yet to get a satisfactory answer. Annoying but at least erring on the side of safety.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I have had this problem with both my earlier Garmin camper and the 770. Weights all programmed in as per instructions.

Despite several support emails I have yet to get a satisfactory answer. Annoying but at least erring on the side of safety.
you might want to check the date when this thread was first posted.

SpikeH

Free Member
Feb 5, 2018
Funster No
Yep, aware of that - which makes it an unresolved bug for over 2 years!

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Yep, aware of that - which makes it an unresolved bug for over 2 years!
I'm not saying it will be a cure, but have you connected it up with Garmin Express to see if there are any software updates?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back