garmin camper 770 lmt-d sat nav any good (2 Viewers)

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Thinking of getting the garmin just wondering how good it is out of the box for in eu mainly for parking areas and campsites en-route for touring - got a couple of tomtoms but on 1 battery is failing so tempted to give garmin a go - seems reasonably priced .

Only interested in views on the garmin camper 770 lmt owner/users hopefully

And thanks to people who respond and merry xmas

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
I have the 660.good bit of kit.like all satnavs it's not infallible to taking you some wiered ways,But I always check on paper maps where I'm going. The 770 is just the big brother .It's saved me from ending up in big queues by directing me around them.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
We absolutely love ours. It's used all the time and rarely causes any problems with its chosen route. I would buy another in the blink of an eye.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Had a Garmin Camper since they were first released, several years ago.
As sat-nav's go it's probably as good as any but like all of them it is liable to select slightly daft routes.
I also use CoPilot app on an iPad so can compare the two.
Both can come up with roundabout routes so its always best to check the route against a map.
Compared to the iPad the Garmin is slow to work out the route, the iPad is almost instant. It only becomes an annoyance when you want to change the route by adding way points, where the Garmin takes ages.
Garmin has been known to go daft when we get to a particularly complicated junction, just when you need it most. It can get confused and send you the wrong way only to change its little mind soon after, just after you have gone up a one way street, leading to a maze of narrow back streets. The centre of Rodez has some crackers which we once explored. :xdoh:
Overall though, the Garmin is a decent sat-nav, if a bit expensive.
If you have a suitable tablet with GPS built in it is worth considering CoPilot Caravan version.

Richard.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Love it. So long as you apply common sense to it's routes occasionally you'll be fine.
It will also give you the opportunity to learn the excellent Basecamp program should you wish

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Thanks for replies does it show campsites and rest areas along a route whilst travelling where you can park up if need be thinking if you get delayed caught in traffic and want to spend night parked up

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
We had a 770 and wouldn’t ever consider another, like Clarky it took us on a tour of little streets in Burgos at midnight we are 7.5t 9+m and how we got out I don’t know to this day plus the sound on it was all but useless unless you tuned into a radio signal but then it’s intermittent.

Now a TomTom Truck ,quite brilliant.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We had a 770 and wouldn’t ever consider another, like Clarky it took us on a tour of little streets in Burgos at midnight we are 7.5t 9+m and how we got out I don’t know to this day plus the sound on it was all but useless unless you tuned into a radio signal but then it’s intermittent.

We found a couple of examples of it selecting some dodgy routes.. on a couple of towns. But on both occasions it was obviously upset by our size and we ignored it for a few streets.
Not sure what you mean about sound. The voice on ours sounds fine. Crystal clear.
Radio signal? Confused sorry.

Best sat nav we have ever had. By far.

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No

Yeah got the go 6200 truck version but i want one with the camper stops easily accessible tomtom is ok until you update when it can cause problems which is why i am thinking of the garmin

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I have the 770 LMT-D. (2017) I had quite a few problems with it initially which was more to do with software/map updates containing faults which stopped some of the Icons on the map providing information and I worked directly with one of their senior European technical managers to resolve the issues. This took a little time as some new software had to be written in the far east to resolve the problem. (As an aside, I was told after we struck up a bit of a relationship, the problem was not enough attention being given to the European market as much of Garmin's attention is based on the USA and he was liaising with senior corporate management to ensure us guys across the pond received an equal quality of service. He had some great ideas he wanted to introduce for future use including listing updates so members could access them individually and reducing the 10 MB map update without reducing the new information that needed to be down loaded. Anyway, all that was corrected after a few months and the device behaves as it should with one exception and that is routing. Occasionally it throws a wobbly and offers a route that has no logic and does not make sense. I now check my route before moving off and adjust if necessary. Would I buy it again ? Yes in a heartbeat. It has so much going for it and I'm still finding things about it that I didn't know. A lot of thought has gone into this Sat Nav and with the correct support will be hard if not impossible to beat I.M.O.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
They are a great bit of kit we bought our 770 LMT-D last year,like most you have to use a bit of common sense and if not happy with routing change it, but that’s very rare.:xThumb::xThumb::xThumb::xThumb:

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
We had a 770 and wouldn’t ever consider another,
Isn’t it strange how we all experience things differently?

We had a Tom Tom Go Camper, which we couldn’t wait to get rid of - at one point it wanted to take us in a 3.0m high van (and set up at that height in settings on the TT) under a 2.6 m high bridge, with very little advance warning. Now we have an Avtex One (rebadged 770 LMT-D) which is by no means perfect but better than the TT, in our view.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Brought one earlier in the year for a trip through France, Spain and back. fantastic bit of kit. Not the cheapest, but like so many things you get what you pay for. Highly recommended.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Thinking of getting the garmin just wondering how good it is out of the box for in eu mainly for parking areas and campsites en-route for touring - got a couple of tomtoms but on 1 battery is failing so tempted to give garmin a go - seems reasonably priced .

Only interested in views on the garmin camper 770 lmt owner/users hopefully

And thanks to people who respond and merry xmas

I have the camper 770 and suffered the same innitial issues as Phil. Now, as he says, all sorted and with thoughtful planning I find it a great device. For both Motorhome and car.

As far as locations is concerned it already had MHF ACSI and Campercontact installed. I also installed CC info’s and Searxh for Sites. It is very easy to install customecPOI’ a like these and you will over all bases and never be short of a location to stop at.

Stupidly I did have a brief affair with a Tomtom Go Camper. But compared with previous Tomtom models I’d was like wading through treacle and although you can load poi’s as favourites the menu system male searching for them and recognising them on the map less than easy. you cannot display what type of location is on the map so as to recognise it by icon, just a coloured dot. Hardly convenient.

In many ways, far too many to mention here, the Garmin is far superior to the Tomtom and I say they having owned and used both. I don’t have loyalty to either brand or an axe to grind I just want the best device for my use and for me it’s Garmin all the way.

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
I have the camper 770 and suffered the same innitial issues as Phil. Now, as he says, all sorted and with thoughtful planning I find it a great device. For both Motorhome and car.

As far as locations is concerned it already had MHF ACSI and Campercontact installed. I also installed CC info’s and Searxh for Sites. It is very easy to install customecPOI’ a like these and you will over all bases and never be short of a location to stop at.

Stupidly I did have a brief affair with a Tomtom Go Camper. But compared with previous Tomtom models I’d was like wading through treacle and although you can load poi’s as favourites the menu system male searching for them and recognising them on the map less than easy. you cannot display what type of location is on the map so as to recognise it by icon, just a coloured dot. Hardly convenient.

In many ways, far too many to mention here, the Garmin is far superior to the Tomtom and I say they having owned and used both. I don’t have loyalty to either brand or an axe to grind I just want the best device for my use and for me it’s Garmin all the way.
Thanks for that should make life a bit easier and give options enroute to just pull over if need be - have got the tomtom go 6200 truck so know the camper versions faults - so just fancy giving the garmin a go as it is reasonably priced - not knocking tomtom either but you can lose maps if not careful when updating device

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Been using the previous model (760 Camper) for a couple of years and, with the usual \ expected odd blip, it's worked great.
An additional benefit, for me anyway, is the opportunity to install Garmin BaseCamp onto a PC \ Mac and pre-plan routes prior to loading to the sat nav.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Thanks for that should make life a bit easier and give options enroute to just pull over if need be - have got the tomtom go 6200 truck so know the camper versions faults - so just fancy giving the garmin a go as it is reasonably priced - not knocking tomtom either but you can lose maps if not careful when updating device
I think you will find the menu system like lightening compared to a Tomtom and the number of things you can do and flexibility is great. Another bonus is that voice commands actually work when they are supposed to so simply saying “voice command, find place, Lidle, Petrol station etc is easy. Also you can have things like Petrol stations, restaurants or any custom items showing on the screen constantly updating as you drive. Very helpful.

Jul 21, 2018
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Kon-Tiki Swift 679
Exp
I have the Avtex Tourer One Caravan and motorhome edition. It's brill!

FEATURES
  • Custom camper routing for the size and weight of your camper or caravans
  • Road warnings for bridge heights, weight limits, sharp curves, steep grades and more
  • Shows elevation and possible steep grades along your route
  • Directory of more than 9000 ACSI camp sites
  • POI’s for The Caravan Club
  • Find camp sites with preferred amenities
  • Shows camp sites, food and fuel stations along your route
  • Easily change your route to include preferred roads or cities, just by touching the screen
  • Garmin live traffic via DAB – Drive with the fastest traffic solution with one minute update cycles – everywhere you need it
  • Lets you command with your voice and keep your hands on the wheel
  • Bluetooth® technology for hands-free calling
  • Garmin Real Directions™ guides using landmarks and traffic lights
  • Active Lane Guidance & helpful PhotoReal Junction Views. Prepares you to drive through an exit or interchange with confidence.
  • Smartphone Link is a free app that allows your Garmin camper sat nav to receive real time information such as traffic, mobile safety cameras, weather and much more.
  • 7” Edge to Edge Screen
  • Wi-Fi Compatible
  • Can pair up to the DC30 wifi reversing camera
Hope that helps?

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
I have the Avtex Tourer One Caravan and motorhome edition. It's brill!

FEATURES
  • Custom camper routing for the size and weight of your camper or caravans
  • Road warnings for bridge heights, weight limits, sharp curves, steep grades and more
  • Shows elevation and possible steep grades along your route
  • Directory of more than 9000 ACSI camp sites
  • POI’s for The Caravan Club
  • Find camp sites with preferred amenities
  • Shows camp sites, food and fuel stations along your route
  • Easily change your route to include preferred roads or cities, just by touching the screen
  • Garmin live traffic via DAB – Drive with the fastest traffic solution with one minute update cycles – everywhere you need it
  • Lets you command with your voice and keep your hands on the wheel
  • Bluetooth® technology for hands-free calling
  • Garmin Real Directions™ guides using landmarks and traffic lights
  • Active Lane Guidance & helpful PhotoReal Junction Views. Prepares you to drive through an exit or interchange with confidence.
  • Smartphone Link is a free app that allows your Garmin camper sat nav to receive real time information such as traffic, mobile safety cameras, weather and much more.
  • 7” Edge to Edge Screen
  • Wi-Fi Compatible
  • Can pair up to the DC30 wifi reversing camera
Hope that helps?
Yes it is the same as garmin as i understand just badged differently and priced a bit higher at moment about £40 more

Jul 2, 2014
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Ih tio
Exp
Can I ask anyone who's got the Garmin camper 770 if they are still happy with it .our Tom Tom camper go .just went it died .thanks

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Yes, we too have the Avtex One version of the Garmin 770 (which I think was fractionally cheaper than the Garmin when we bought it.). Previously we had a Tom Tom Camper (1005, iirc?), which did some positively dangerous routing - the Avtex seems a lot better, sometimes odd routes, but not so far at least dangerous ones. Not as good on traffic info as the TT, though.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Got the previous model (Camper 760) and very pleased with it. OK, like any sat nav it has it's moments but none too serious.
Main positive for me is you can pre-plan on a pc (or Mac) using BaseCamp and then load to sat nav.

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
We have one which we bought because it had lots of positive reviews.
During our recent 5 week tour of France and Spain we ended up using the navigation part of it solely for getting us out of towns and heading vaguely in the right direction. After that we turned the navigation part off and relied on paper maps and google maps as it usually caused more problems than it solved.

I would like to be able to select specific roads to use, rather than using a town (eg) as a way point then having to remember to delete it just before get there so it routes us round it rather than through the middle.
I liked being able to use the app to add destinations but find it quite "clunky". It would be more use to be able to see and adjust the route on the app then send it to the unit once complete so the driver can still use it whilst planning is under way. Paul uses it as a speedo.
Also it has an annoying habit of often using the names of roads rather than their number to direct you at the next junction, which is often useless as they aren't signposted. Plus the speech is totally useless at pronouncing French and Spanish words anyway, so even if there were street names on signs out of roundabouts etc I wouldn't know if it was the right one because I have no idea what she's just said.
It is quite possible I just don't know how to use it and prepare to stand corrected. Although I did spend a very long time trying to find where these options might be before deciding it was not the right one for us.
I expect we will have replaced it with something else before we leave on our next trip.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Plus the speech is totally useless at pronouncing French and Spanish words anyway, so even if there were street names on signs out of roundabouts etc I wouldn't know if it was the right one because I have no idea what she's just said.
It is quite possible I just don't know how to use it and prepare to stand corrected.
I completely agree - after the initial amusement it causes, it’s just ridiculous. But to get rid of it, change to a different voice in Settings. It’s only some of the voices which attempt to pronounce street names.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back