Garmin Basecamp lost Google Earth (1 Viewer)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Have Been using Basecamp along with my Garmin for about three years now. Really get on with it and planning my own routes etc. One of the best features is being able to switch views from the map to Google earth.

Yesterday the darn thing did a sneaky update to version 4.7.0 which I've now find out has, for whatever reason removed the option to switch view to Google Earth.

I've tried to see if I can resolve this myself, go back to the earlier version somehow but have drawn a blank. Anyone have any thoughts?

I think it's to do with Garmin no longer supporting Basecamp...real shame for those like me that like this. Maybe if I can't resolve with my Basecamp there is something similar out there?

Cheers Dave

PS...on a MacBook Air

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Have Been using Basecamp along with my Garmin for about three years now. Really get on with it and planning my own routes etc. One of the best features is being able to switch views from the map to Google earth.

Yesterday the darn thing did a sneaky update to version 4.7.0 which I've now find out has, for whatever reason removed the option to switch view to Google Earth.

I've tried to see if I can resolve this myself, go back to the earlier version somehow but have drawn a blank. Anyone have any thoughts?

I think it's to do with Garmin no longer supporting Basecamp...real shame for those like me that like this. Maybe if I can't resolve with my Basecamp there is something similar out there?

Cheers Dave

PS...on a MacBook Air
Just updated t0 4.7 on Windows 10 laptop and it does appear that GE is missing from View tab.
Never used it myself but seem to remember that previous issues on Windows version could be resolved by reinstalling GE in 32bit format overwriting the previously installed 64bit version. Won't help you though!:rolleyes:
You don't happen to have a stored copy of the 4.6.2 software you could use to replace 4.7? If you do could you set-up the old version not to update?
Surprised you mentioned Garmin are dropping BaseCamp. Can you point me in the direction of where this was announced. It's not Mapsource you're thinking which was dropped and "replaced" by BaseCamp a while back?:confused:
Having said that, as the latest update has also dropped cloud storage, Adventures, etc maybe the writing is on the wall for BaseCamp?:(

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Surprised you mentioned Garmin are dropping BaseCamp. Can you point me in the direction of where this was announced.

It was a comment on one of the forums I was on yesterday that Garmin we’re no longer developing Basecamp in earnest as they had done previously. It seems the update, that made no mention of the Google Earth being removed, has caught a good few out. Best to ignore as @scotjimland has done. I wonder Jim if there is a way you could download your version and could install it? Just a thought.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It was a comment on one of the forums I was on yesterday that Garmin we’re no longer developing Basecamp in earnest as they had done previously. It seems the update, that made no mention of the Google Earth being removed, has caught a good few out. Best to ignore as @scotjimland has done. I wonder Jim if there is a way you could download your version and could install it? Just a thought.
see last post.. download from there

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Just checked my "archive" of older versions of software and have a copy of 4.6.3 for Mac (who the heck knows why!:confused:) but as Jim says you can get it from Techspot.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Jim, do you think I need to uninstall the version I have now before downloading and installing previous version?
Personally, and I know I'm Windows as opposed to you on Mac, I keep my route database on a USB stick so I can transfer between various pc's and laptops. I would suggest you back up your database to somewhere, uninstall 4.7 and reinstall a clean version of 4.6.3 then you know you've got rid of 4.7. You'll also need to ensure it just doesn't re-update to 4.7 though!
You should then be able to restore your backup. I would pre-try that to confirm it works prior to uninstalling \ reinstalling though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back