Garmin Base Camp .. getting to grips with it. (1 Viewer)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
sorry, those with Chinese sat nags will just have to cross fingers.. :LOL:;)
No need Jim, as the coordinates I take from either MS Autoroute and/or Google Maps, keep me on the route I want to travel along. ;)
TBH, it's far better at keeping me on more suitable routes, than the TT Truck maps were. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
No need Jim, as the coordinates I take from either MS Autoroute and/or Google Maps, keep me on the route I want to travel along. ;)
TBH, it's far better at keeping me on more suitable routes, than the TT Truck maps were. (y)

Cheers,

yes.. have also done that with Google maps , can also use Tyre ..

I have used Google maps , plotting a route then converting to a GPX file for the Garmin.. The benefit of Base Camp is, you can download the Garmin maps to your PC or Mac and use without a data connection.

When you get right down to it Jock, there isn't a sat nav that can plot the best route for a large vehicle.. been saying that for years..

Truck sat navs can avoid low bridges, width limits and weights.. but have no idea how wide a B road is.. or indeed a D road in France..so irrespective of brand.. without human input there is always the risk of going down an unsuitable or undesirable road.

Put your faith solely in ANY sat nav and you will eventually have a problem.. been there .. I think most of us have.. :rolleyes:

Back onto Base Camp.. it's the best I've used .. Google maps need a data connection.. Autoroute is not available on Mac and is no longer supported by Microsoft.. so maps will be going out of date .. nor is there any other mapping for Macs, (that I know of) that can be used off line.. this is where BaseCamp comes in..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
What people tend to forget is a sat nav is an aide not a route provider all you have to do is look at the idiots who follow them blindly.
by programing the route in, it removes the stress of WHICH WAY DO WE GO shouts at the navigator which never goes well. Used correctly sat navs are awesome

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
nor is there any other mapping for Macs, (that I know of) that can be used off line.. this is where BaseCamp comes in..
Sorry Jim, I didn't appreciate it was a "Mac only" application. :oops:

What people tend to forget is a sat nav is an aide not a route provider all you have to do is look at the idiots who follow them blindly.
Sounds much like our daughter, who thankfully, only drives a small hatchback. ;)

Me: Why did you use that route J##?
J##: Cos thats where the Sat Nav told me to go Dad.
Me: But that's why you are over an hour and a half late, and for you, the cafe is now closed. :LOL: (joking of course).

Cheers,

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I have been using Basecamp for around 6years now and have not found anything better. You do need to practice with it. The sat nav I use is a motorcycle unit, zumo 660 but I use it in the car, truck and the motorhome as well as on the bike. As has been said, it is a tool. Basecamp is very easy to use and the Google Earth function allows the user to check the route for any obstruction likely to cause a problem. When plotting a route there is the facility to change vehicles. This is in the route options. If a route is plotted in motorcycle then changed to RV the route does change along with the estimated journey time. Just play with it. If it goes wrong press the undo button.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have been using Basecamp for around 6years now and have not found anything better.

been using navigation software for more than 12 years.. started off with Autoroute on Dell laptop with a USB GPS 'mouse' mounted on the van roof.. that was good.. .. then I got a Mac and bought Route 66 .. but it was never as good as Autoroute , Route 66 since been discontinued ..

Bought a Magellan Sat Nav in 2003 .. cost an arm and a leg.. still have it.. and it still works .. but mapping well out of date.

Apple have never had mapping that could be use off line.. a bit of a disappointment.. Base Camp has resolved that .. would be even better if it could also track live using a GPS dongle..

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
You could give Aldi head office a ring. I'm pretty sure somebody posted a while ago and said that they had arranged to send one of the Camper sat navs to his local store for him.

Your local store should also be able to organize an inter-store transfer.
They certainly did for a tv for me (from Oban).

Thanks for the suggestion..

I called Aldi Customer Service today and enquired about the Garmin Camper model.. (free phone number.. 0800 042 0800)

* The offer was in March 2015 , @ £199.00 It may have been further reduced at 'some' Aldi stores, this is at the managers discretion.

* They had no stock in my area..

* I asked about a 'store transfer', informed they do not do that now.. (they may have in the past)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

I called Aldi Customer Service today and enquired about the Garmin Camper model.. (free phone number.. 0800 042 0800)

* The offer was in March 2015 , @ £199.00 It may have been further reduced at 'some' Aldi stores, this is at the managers discretion.

* I asked about a 'store transfer', informed they do not do that now.. (they may have in the past)
That's a pity but I suppose it's all a matter of economics.

I must get to grips with Basecamp again. We've just spent the weekend in Blackpool and both the Garmin Camper 760 and the Noza Tec wanted to take us via the A66/M6 but we don't like the smaller roads round Kirkby Stephen. The alternatives are M62 and A59, which are very similar in terms of time. We used the M62 because it was all dual carriageway/motorway but I really should do some pre-planning when there are a number of alternative routes, just t weigh up all the options properly.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

That's a bummer, Jim.
I know a store in Glasgow had some last week.
Traveling for a couple of weeks but if you are "desperate" for one I could check when we get back and if they've still got one we could sort out payment and how we get it to you.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
That's a bummer, Jim.
I know a store in Glasgow had some last week.
Traveling for a couple of weeks but if you are "desperate" for one I could check when we get back and if they've still got one we could sort out payment and how we get it to you.

thanks for the kind offer.. not in a rush.. enjoy your two weeks..
I may or may not have one before you get back.. will let you know..

cheers

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That's a pity but I suppose it's all a matter of economics.

I must get to grips with Basecamp again. We've just spent the weekend in Blackpool and both the Garmin Camper 760 and the Noza Tec wanted to take us via the A66/M6 but we don't like the smaller roads round Kirkby Stephen. The alternatives are M62 and A59, which are very similar in terms of time. We used the M62 because it was all dual carriageway/motorway but I really should do some pre-planning when there are a number of alternative routes, just t weigh up all the options properly.
Very strange. I just put the same route into Basecamp and it chose the M62 rather than the A66 as the Garmin Camper did.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Very strange. I just put the same route into Basecamp and it chose the M62 rather than the A66 as the Garmin Camper did.

yes.. but you now have the option of tailoring the route to suit...

or, rather than letting the software decide.. do it manually

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
yes.. but you now have the option of tailoring the route to suit...

or, rather than letting the software decide.. do it manually

Absolutely :) Not knocking it, I just found it strange. I do need to learn to use Basecamp properly though as it may well be that there are profile differences between the sat nav and Basecamp :)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Absolutely :) Not knocking it, I just found it strange. I do need to learn to use Basecamp properly though as it may well be that there are profile differences between the sat nav and Basecamp :)

Correct Graham. It could be the Activity Profile you're using in BaseCamp vs the 760. There are about a dozen or so options (assuming you've not got some of them hidden and you haven't created any user defined ones), Edit \ Options \ Activity Profile.

Seem to be getting there in terms of timings between BaseCamp and sat nav. Latest trip had a difference of about 5 mins (if I exclude the time SWMBO spent in the supermarket shopping - forgot to set a dwell time in BaseCamp - oops!).

Reactions: GJH

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I've now been playing with BaseCamp for a few days with the Nuvi 65lm I got from Argos and I'm very pleased indeed. It's great to be able to layer Google Earth to have a look at your route or when dropping a waypoint to be able to check out an Aire or Camperstop type coordinates, as we all know to our cost at times, they are often quite a bit out!

I will still be keeping the maps about, as I like them...but have high hopes of confidently using BaseCamp now.

Good thread Jim :).

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've had another look at Basecamp and managed to create alternatives via the A66 & Kirkby Stephen and via the A59 round Skipton.

The A59 route was a fair bit longer in time. The A66 one came up 2 minutes longer than the M62, which is obviously why Basecamp chose the M62 when it did the calculation. Given such a small difference I bet the Garmin Camper 760 was taking traffic into account when it tried to take us via the A66 rather than the M62.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I tried to get my head around Base Camp several times .. with limited success, so yesterday I spend a bit time watching 'how to do it' vids' and practising with it.. and then it all fell into place... the 'light bulb' moment..

If you have never tried or tried and given up like I had, give it another go.. it's well worth it.

I have used Google maps , plotting a route then converting to a GPX file for the Garmin.. The benefit of Base Camp is, you can download the Garmin maps to your PC or Mac and use without a data connection.

With the Garmin connected, the map also sees the POIs in the sat nav data which you can use in Base Camp..

It takes a bit of effort but well worth the effort. I've got a handle on the basics.. and it's a powerful tool.. well worth making the effort to learn... I never realised how good it was. !

Using Base Camp you have full control over the route... you can plan your route, rest stops, overnight stops, way points etc.. no more crossing fingers and hoping the sat nav knows the 'best' route.. no more being taken down a dirt or unsuitable road..

I 'd also been looking for an 'Autoroute' equivalent for the Mac.. this is as good as, if not better.. What a great bit of software..

so get busy.. and if you have any tips, questions or comments please post them here...

sorry, those with Chinese sat nags will just have to cross fingers.. :LOL:;)

This video is a good introduction..

I gave up with basecamp after a few hours and mourned the passing of autoroute, I just cant get to grips with it. The Garmin Nuvi itself I have just about got to work the way I want to, but I still think some of the paid for android programmes like the tom tom paid maps version of Navigator is far better than the Garmin. Anyway thanks for the encouragement and the vids i'll give basecamp another go!!!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I gave up with basecamp after a few hours and mourned the passing of autoroute, I just cant get to grips with it. The Garmin Nuvi itself I have just about got to work the way I want to, but I still think some of the paid for android programmes like the tom tom paid maps version of Navigator is far better than the Garmin. Anyway thanks for the encouragement and the vids i'll give basecamp another go!!!
It's worth persevering. I suffered the same frustrations for a while. I think it might it may be something to do with the differences between the English and American languages :D

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
(y) Thanks to all for this very interesting thread. Will give me something to do over the winter.Another use for the phablet, will be able to keep checking all your instructions whilst on the laptop :LOL:
Jude

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013

Just a bit on an update to an oldish thread, my old tomtom camper sat nav has been doing some strange things lately so i decided to look at the Garmin Camper again as it has a large screen. Had one before when they were on offer but it didnt work out too well but didnt really give it a good going over.

Decided to get another one so went to the store in Havant and asked them if they could check stock at other stores which they did. Apparently some in Bristol and Oxford as of 3 weeks ago. I asked them if they can transfer one down to this store and after some discussion they said they would give it a go. well it has taken 3 weeks to get there but they finally did it and the best part is that the price is now £149.99.

I did call HQ a couple of times but they just kept telling me they dont do transfers so must be a store agreement, in the end i just asked to be put through to the store and the name of the supervisor dealing with it. This worked as i now have one at an even cheaper price.

So to finish off it is worth actually going in store and asking as HQ will just give you a standard response and at that price it is worth buying all remaining stock up and selling on as these things are double that on most websites.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Just a bit on an update to an oldish thread, my old tomtom camper sat nav has been doing some strange things lately so i decided to look at the Garmin Camper again as it has a large screen. Had one before when they were on offer but it didnt work out too well but didnt really give it a good going over.

Decided to get another one so went to the store in Havant and asked them if they could check stock at other stores which they did. Apparently some in Bristol and Oxford as of 3 weeks ago. I asked them if they can transfer one down to this store and after some discussion they said they would give it a go. well it has taken 3 weeks to get there but they finally did it and the best part is that the price is now £149.99.

I did call HQ a couple of times but they just kept telling me they dont do transfers so must be a store agreement, in the end i just asked to be put through to the store and the name of the supervisor dealing with it. This worked as i now have one at an even cheaper price.

So to finish off it is worth actually going in store and asking as HQ will just give you a standard response and at that price it is worth buying all remaining stock up and selling on as these things are double that on most websites.

Our local store finally sold their last one in stock last week. They must be getting very thin on the ground now so well done sourcing one.

Reactions: zac

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back