Garmin 770 Sat Nav hardwire kit (1 Viewer)

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Has anyone managed to plumb in a hardwire kit for their Garmin 770?

I got a kit that seemed to match the power specs of the original Garmin cigar lighter unit (which works just fine).

I've got the cable route sorted and aware that there is an aerial for traffic in the Garmin cable. However, when I switch the ignition on, the 770 boots up, asks about file transfer mode and then says the current cable can't charge.

I'm not sure Garmin do a hard wire kit?

OP
OP
Andacami
Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Hmm... Further research suggests the 770 in the "cable will not charge..." mode will remain fully operational just won't charge - obvs really, reading too much into the message...

I think then I can use the kit I have so long as the 770 has some charge to start with :giggle:

I guess I'll not get traffic unless I use my phone bluetooth connected...?

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
You'll definitely need to be able to charge the unit.

The internal battery doesn't last very long.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
To overcome the "cable will not charge" problem what I did was to use the Garmin cable that terminates in a plug for use in the cigar socket and to hardwire a 12v cigar socket hidden under the dash. Used a piggy back fuse and earthing point as suggested by Gellyneck's photo. The 12v socket was about £2.00 and once connected to the official Garmin lead, I taped the lead in securely so that it won't shake out of the socket.

Attachments

• IMG_1364.PNG
    IMG_1364.PNG
    872.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1365.JPG
    IMG_1365.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 76

SteveJ

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 30, 2018
March, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
Since 2013
I had a genuine Garmin hardwire kit for an older Garmin sat nav for the car, that didn't work with my 780, basically got the same error message as you do. I did the same as Ingwe. Easy and works like a charm.

OP
OP
Andacami
Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
To overcome the "cable will not charge" problem what I did was to use the Garmin cable that terminates in a plug for use in the cigar socket and to hardwire a 12v cigar socket hidden under the dash. Used a piggy back fuse and earthing point as suggested by Gellyneck's photo. The 12v socket was about £2.00 and once connected to the official Garmin lead, I taped the lead in securely so that it won't shake out of the socket.
I've done that before in my Skoda and considered it but the existing cigar lighter cable is too short. Can you get a longer original cable?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I had a genuine Garmin hardwire kit for an older Garmin sat nav for the car, that didn't work with my 780, basically got the same error message as you do. I did the same as Ingwe. Easy and works like a charm.
The power cable for Garmin sat navs are "dedicated" to a specific model hence the reason it doesn't work with other units.

OP
OP
Andacami
Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Quick update.

Above and to the right of the fuse box on the Boxer, there is a decent sized empty space (behind the trim of course) and I've discovered that the OEM power lead will reach from the front centre of the dash with the plug just hanging in the space. So, despite suggesting it's too short it does in fact reach.

An enclosed socket is on it's way which I'll wire in and I think jobs a goodun.

Will attempt a fee photos and a write up...

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
My be another option for those with a Garmin 780.

The device comes with a "cigarette socket" lead for powering, and also live traffic updates if you've got the MT-D version, however there's also a short usb A to mini usb cable supplied to connect to a pc \ Mac to enable updating software via Garmin Express.

This cable, as said, is quite short and difficult for me to connect to the back of a desktop I use so thought I'd try and see if a longer 3rd party cable would work. Given it was less than £2 and a reputable brand thought it was worth a shot and ordered one of these -

Amazon product ASIN B07FWF2KBF
and it works.

So, given they supply other lengths up to 5m (<£5) thought I'd try a 3m (£3) one -

Amazon product ASIN B07FWD7G8L
and it works too.

It looks like you can use it to both connect to a pc \ Mac for Garmin Express or power it whilst it's in use, albeit I've not tried to navigate with it as yet but the device will boot up into the main home screen. Obviously, you can't do both at the same time and you would lose the live traffic updates if you have a MT-D version.

Might be worth a try for those with a Camper 780 looking for an alternative power-up option.

Believe the Camper 770 has a mini usb connection (as does the Camper 760) so could be worthwhile trying a usb cable with the correct connectors.

Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
I am considering buying a Garmin 780 but the charging difficulties outline above are putting me off. Doing a diy wiring job is way beyond me. Does anyone know if the Garmin dzl 780 LMT-D truck sat nave has the same charging set up, or is it easier to charge while in use?
Apologies if this is a dumb question

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
I am considering buying a Garmin 780 but the charging difficulties outline above are putting me off. Doing a diy wiring job is way beyond me. Does anyone know if the Garmin dzl 780 LMT-D truck sat nave has the same charging set up, or is it easier to charge while in use?
To my knowledge all Garmin units can be charged using a standard 12v accessory socket.

Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
To my knowledge all Garmin units can be charged using a standard 12v accessory socket.
Thanks for that.
Argos are selling camper 780 at a clearance price at the moment in some locations. I'm also trying to figure if there is any advantage in paying the premium to get the DZL Truck version instead for a large Class?...or if either will do the same job?
Any advice appreciated! as I am techno illiterate !

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
I personally would go for the camper version, when plotting routes using the truck option in Mapsource (Garmin's mapping programl, the routes are generally all major roads which doesn't suit me.

Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
I personally would go for the camper version, when plotting routes using the truck option in Mapsource (Garmin's mapping programl, the routes are generally all major roads which doesn't suit me.
Thanks for that response. I wouldn't want to do my driving on the motorways for the most part either. Food for thought

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

Thanks for that.
Argos are selling camper 780 at a clearance price at the moment in some locations. I'm also trying to figure if there is any advantage in paying the premium to get the DZL Truck version instead for a large Class?...or if either will do the same job?
Any advice appreciated! as I am techno illiterate !
Go for the Camper 780 at the £200 price. Garmin have it on their own website at £299 (just down from £349). It has, virtually, all the same functionality as the dezl 780.

The discussions around charging solutions are only really around those who are looking to "hardwire" \ "hide away" the charging cable.

With our current Camper 760 we just route the cable from next to the drivers door A pillar, across the dash board in front of the Remis blind bottom rail, under this at the centre and down the front of the dashboard to the cigarette lighter socket next to the radio.

Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
Go for the Camper 780 at the £200 price. Garmin have it on their own website at £299 (just down from £349). It has, virtually, all the same functionality as the dezl 780.

The discussions around charging solutions are only really around those who are looking to "hardwire" \ "hide away" the charging cable.

With our current Camper 760 we just route the cable from next to the drivers door A pillar, across the dash board in front of the Remis blind bottom rail, under this at the centre and down the front of the dashboard to the cigarette lighter socket next to the radio.

Thank you very much. That is very helpful and clear for me. I'll go with that, bearing in mind after reading loads of posts, that there are no "perfect" options!! (I must relax my ocd tendency to find the 'right' answer)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thank you very much. That is very helpful and clear for me. I'll go with that, bearing in mind after reading loads of posts, that there are no "perfect" options!! (I must relax my ocd tendency to find the 'right' answer)
Just noticed this.

Might or might not be of interest to you?:unsure:

Only £75 less than a new 780 though from Argos.

Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
Just noticed this.

Might or might not be of interest to you?:unsure:

Only £75 less than a new 780 though from Argos.
Thanks for the heads-up

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back