Garmin 760LM Update. (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
I updated the Garmin in December but ran out of internal memory. Having an 8gb chip to hand I installed it and successfully updated the maps. Now whenever I do a soft shutdown by turning the ignition off, and back on, there is no map detail so I have to do a cold reboot. When this happens the unit says ... restarting in 5 seconds to load map data....from the chip. Does anyone else get this? Also I'm thinking that I need to clear all existing internal map data before doing an update as surely there's not gb's of new data every time it's just that the programme simply writes more detail over the existing without removing what's already there.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
A Garmin map update is a new map every time and is nearly 8GB and for Europe normally loaded in to the device in two parts, North and South. I always remove the maps from my Garmin before loading the new map.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Never had that problem with ours.
The internal memory is so small it’s useless for map updates so you always need an extra SD card.
I have a 32gb card in ours and haven’t had problems after updates. In fact I downloaded a map update yesterday and all seems OK.

Richard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP

Deleted User
A Garmin map update is a new map every time and is nearly 8GB and for Europe and normally loaded in to the device in two parts, North and South. I always remove the maps from my Garmin before loading the new map.
Thanks. Which file do you delete please?

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks. Which file do you delete please?

This might be in two parts eg gmapprom.img and D6210070A.img for North and South Europe. To see all map files using Windows Explorer go to Control Panel/Folder Options/View and uncheck ‘Hide protected OS files’. After finishing map update return and check ‘Hide protected OS files’.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Same as Clarky - no deleting of maps on the Sat Nav unit. However, after updating (Sat Nav unit and computer) using Garmin Express I go in and manually delete the outdated map version and the "copy" downloaded version of the current map.
I also make sure all other data, eg places \ routes \ etc created in BaseCamp, is saved onto the SD card to "maximise" capacity on the internal memory.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thanks for your help, currently in Spain I'll try these fixes when I get home.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
If you get stuck you can always do a “chat” online with Garmin , save it then you will have your instructions to hand. They are slow to respond sometimes but they do.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I had this problem a few years ago with an old Garmin I’d updated repeatedly. I’m not very computer literate but I ended up connecting it to my lap top and treating it as an external drive and deleted its contents, or was it just the maps?
I then went back on Garmin and loaded the update and it worked fine. Very nervous about pressing the button to delete but it turned out well.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back