Garmin 760 not using SD card (1 Viewer)

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
I inherited a 760 with RH and duly registered it ok. However when I try to download map updates it keeps telling me there is no internal memory space despite having a 32Gb SD card installed which remains resolutely empty of anything. Tried contacting Garmin support and got no reply except eventually an email asking me to comment on how good their support was!!

Anyone else run into this problem or have a clue what might be going wrong? I was using Garmin Express.
Also anyone know of a good set of instructions or guide etc to Basecamp software?

Last edited:

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Our 760 was very fussy on types of SD card and was not happy on one over 16 Gb's, we currently have a 8gb card in it and have to manually delete the old maps before updating as Garmin Express will not do it automatically and just reports no room to install maps.

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
Our 760 was very fussy on types of SD card and was not happy on one over 16 Gb's, we currently have a 8gb card in it and have to manually delete the old maps before updating as Garmin Express will not do it automatically and just reports no room to install maps.
Which brand of card are you now using please ? I see this website recommends Kingston. We are just about to purchase !
thanks Jude
http://www.tramsoft.ch/index_en.html#

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Do you have an SD card slot on your pc/laptop. If you do then re-format the card and try again.

OP
OP
Robin McHood
Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Thanks for all the replies, with the Garmin plugged into my laptop I can see the SD card ok (empty). Only way I've found of updating the maps, is as suggested to delete the old ones out of internal memory. There was an 8Gb card in it but that too proved to be empty. Any combination I try with either card, Garmin Express tries to load into internal memory and will not load anything onto the SD card, I'll try the reformat,,it's just puzzling I can manually upload onto the SD card via the Garmin 760 from my PC fine and read the files back, it's just Express which won't play ball.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I have a Garmin too, which was supplied without an SD card, but which required one at the first update
My advice would be to remove the SD card and try and Di an update. The reason being is that it would tell you the size of the required card.
My guess is that the card is too big OR the incorrect type
Also you council try asking on the Garmin support forum
Best of luck

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
@Robin McHood It is possible to leave the SD card in your pc and download the updated map direct to the card. Garmin Express gives several options for where to download the map.

OP
OP
Robin McHood
Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Thanks I didn't see that option I'll give that a try(y)

OP
OP
Robin McHood
Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
@JeanLuc, thanks for the link. I had tried all that, but the option to load on to the card never appeared. I've checked the card, actually both of them, are compatible. I'll have to take a closer look at the software versions, I'm pretty sure all software, both PC and device is the latest. I'm beginning to thinking I've just got a faulty unit. Last try will be a manual load onto the SD

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Bump this old thread? Please?

Anyone experiencing issues with (in my case a Camper 760) NOT being recognised as a Device in Base Camp despite being able to load, upgrade maps et; using the same USB cable. It`s actually sat there now, Connected (physically) with the Sat Nav Screen showing garmin.com/express etc;. But when I look in Base Camp No device is showing?.

Sent a missive to Garmin, but no reply as yet.

Also posted to MH Chat.

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Hopefully not stating the obvious but ...

I have two of the 760 MLT units. I recently replaced my laptop with a later quicker model (a nightmare) trying to restore "to another computer", anyway, I had to download Garmin Base Camp afresh, as soon as it had downloaded I was prompted to update to a later version. Which I did. I signed in expected all to be in place - it was not. I suspect that like me you will have to add your device again on the top line. It will search the USB and you "should be back in businessé", emphasis on should.

I hope that helps

Clive

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back