Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
Hope someone can help ,I'm not sure if I have set mine up correctly or its just the way it works. When I approach a town on an A road instead of directing me to follow the A road it starts to use the road names instead , seems to do this on the written description also .

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
My old Garmin does the same. The pronounciation of French and Spanish names is attrocious :)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Ooer never noticed... What's up with that then?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Melvin

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
My old Garmin does the same. The pronounciation of French and Spanish names is attrocious :)
It' was new in Mach this year
Some Garmin models have a choice of voices - English/American/Male/Female and sometimes some voices use road numbers/names and others don't - a case of try the different voice settings and see which you like best.
Thankyou I will try that.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think ours does the same but I wouldn't swear to it and can't say that I have noticed anything detrimental. Where there are street name signs, rather than road number signs, it can be easier to spot them in order to take (say) the correct turn.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I don't care whether it uses road numbers or street names as long as it gets me on the right road in the right direction. Actually mine uses a combination of both with is fine with me, I don't see a problem.

OP
OP
Melvin

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
I find it more annoying than a problem especially when using the smaller A & B roads that go through small towns that have oneway systems that have been cobbled together using the old roads.
The reason I posted was that I'm not very good with modern tech and thought I probably hadn't set it up correctly .

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I find it more annoying than a problem especially when using the smaller A & B roads that go through small towns that have oneway systems that have been cobbled together using the old roads.
The reason I posted was that I'm not very good with modern tech and thought I probably hadn't set it up correctly .

No, I think your set up is probably fine, its just the way it works, at least that's the way it works on mine. I think its because when you enter a town/village there are lots of different turnings and roads which may not have a number anyway so using street names is the only way of giving directions . For example my street does not have road number but is off of a road that does, so the instruction would be continue on the B1234, in 200 yards turn right into the avenue.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Makes no odds for us, as the wife constantly tries to override the sat-nav with her "superior" geographical knowledge. That's the same one who ended up in South Wales when she should have been in Shropshire :roflmto::roflmto:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I find it a pain as you very often can't see the road name as they are obscured by hedges etc or even not there but you get used to it eventually.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Names or numbers it doesn't really matter. Following the distance countdown/arrow to the junction indicates the correct one, especially with urban streets close together. Same with coming off roundabouts.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I prefer the road numbers as I always list the road numbers I want to use from an atlas so that I have a general idea of the route, and I don't trust the sat nav not to take me on a tiny little road just to save 100 yds:rolleyes:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I don't trust the sat nav not to take me on a tiny little road just to save 100 yds:rolleyes:

Garmin Camper model won't 'normally ' do that ..

However... none of them know the road width.. the data base doesn't exist with road widths.. only classes ..

for example.. in Wales we were on A roads that were barely wide enough for two trucks to pass one aother.. and on one section.. we had to stop and reverse into a lay-by to allow a tractor to pass .. the road to our village is B class but wider than some of the A roads in Wales..

An A road can be narrow two lanes or a dual carriage way .. sat nav has no way of knowing.

Reactions: GJH

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
My Garmin 660LMT-d totally ignores a main A road locally and suggests 10 mile detours. If forced to to use it then it routes you through a parade of shops before directing you back to the turning it ignored. Wouldn't be so bad if it had a list of shopping it thinks I need to stop for.

Doug

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I wonder if anyone has discovered a sat nav that does work as we want without mystery tours if they have Ill get one(n)(y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I wonder if anyone has discovered a sat nav that does work as we want without mystery tours if they have Ill get one(n)(y)
I suppose then nearest one can get is a Garmin used in conjunction with route planning on Basecamp to avoid roads one is uncomfortable with (or doesn't wish to shop on :D).

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007

Can be quite funny
laughing-smiley-face.gif

OP
OP
Melvin

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
Sorry for my ignorance , but what is base camp and what does it do. I don't have a PC or a Mack so if I need to download anything I have to visit a friend ,15 miles , or wait until I see my youngest son , 150 miles .
I only have an I pad that usually does everything I want.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Sorry for my ignorance , but what is base camp and what does it do. I don't have a PC or a Mack so if I need to download anything I have to visit a friend ,15 miles , or wait until I see my youngest son , 150 miles .
I only have an I pad that usually does everything I want.

basically you plan a route on Basecamp on your PC or Mac then load onto the Sat Nav.. don't believe that it's available for iPad

http://www.garmin.com/en-GB/shop/downloads/basecamp

I did a post on it..

Getting to grips with Basecamp

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...g-to-grips-with-it.117985/page-2#post-1600184

Reactions: GJH

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Oh basecamp. ... one day ...
@Melvin you may need to update your sat nav at some stage. That would involve a PC.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't have a PC or a Mack so if I need to download anything I have to visit a friend ,15 miles , or wait until I see my youngest son , 150 miles .
Unfortunately you will never get the best out of a sat nav then. They are all designed for use in conjunction with a PC/Mac, even if just for map and software updates.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back