Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Anybody got one of the Garmin Camper series sat navs, specifically the 7" screen 760? Or can recommend another type.
Thought I might treat myself to one before we head out to the Alps at the weekend.
I am selling my trusty Garmin 3598 LMT-D in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

Allan

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have had the Dezl 560 since last June and I think it is really good - just a bit smaller than the 760, but still larger than most car satnavs. I did not bother with the Camper version as POI files for Archies Europe, C&CC UK sites and all the 'usual suspects' for camperstops are freely available to download anyway.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Sat nav

I agonised over changing from Tomtom to Garmin and ended up going for the Garmin 3598, usually £299, but Amazon had a deal for£270 inc £25 worth of travel pack.

It's different from the Tomtom but I have now had a chance to ry it in virtually all situations and am very pleased with it. It is far more flexible than the Tomtom and does much more too. Route planning is a doodle and you can save trips and add stops etc later if you wish.

It is a very well built piece of kit, similar quality the iPhone. Having tried the Tomtom at Halfords I am sure I made the right choice which surprises me because previously I loved my Tomtom 1005, I just didn't want to keep paying for map updates and services, these are free on the Tomtom 5000/6000 but the user interface is slow and visually the maps did not seem too good to me.

I recommend you try a tom-tom in Halfords, but if you do a search on Youtube there are lots of reviews for the Garmin 3598. Not the model you were thinking about but worth looking at I would suggest.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I've tried TomTom in the past and not been happy with them. I currently have a Garmin 3598, bought last Sept ( that I have for sale in the classifieds for £215) and I agree it is a superb unit. I was just looking for a bigger screen and don't want to change from Garmin.
Allan

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Regarding my earlier post I referred to a Dezl which is Garmin's name for the truck range - 560/760 etc. (Nüvi being for cars). Hope this did not confuse - I was referring to Garmin.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Regarding my earlier post I referred to a Dezl which is Garmin's name for the truck range - 560/760 etc. (Nüvi being for cars). Hope this did not confuse - I was referring to Garmin.

Not confused, I am pretty up to date with the Garmin range. Just ordered a 760LMT-D, non camper version because, as you say, all the POI files are easily downloadable and I couldn't see any difference between Camper or Truck version. Halfords are selling the Truck version at a good price so I will pick it up tomorrow instead of paying postage.
Allan

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Poi

Interesting posts. I wonder if those who mention POI downloads would mind pointing me in the direction of the ones they use please . I an particularly interested in Aires for France, Germany, Italy. I did have some on my old tom-tom but have yet to try to load them on to the Garmin.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Here is the link to Archies - it is a very comprehensive database of campsites.
Link Removed

My favourite source or camperstop (aires) information is Camping Car Infos. There are free POI files for each country. Choose the ASCI file for a garmin, but you will have to change the file extension from .asc to .csv before loading - the file is already in an acceptable format.
http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm

C&CC sites in the UK are referenced on the club site. There is a link to another site which contains three files for Club sites, CS and Forest sites respectively.

For a Garmin, you need either csv or gpx files. I find csv easier as they can be editied in a spreadsheet or text editor.

If you need any conversion software e.g. to switch TomTom OV2 files to csv (or other) I recommend GPSBabel - free, but he asks for a donation if you feel so inclined. It works on Macs as well as Windoze.
http://www.gpsbabel.org/download.html

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
A massive list of Aires, parking and campsite all over Europe is available at
Broken Link Removed

Beware its a big list !

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating
all this and a r camera too

Anybody got one of the Garmin Camper series sat navs, specifically the 7" screen 760? Or can recommend another type.
Thought I might treat myself to one before we head out to the Alps at the weekend.
I am selling my trusty Garmin 3598 LMT-D in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

Allan

Love the Garmin, added to all the navigation it also doubles as a reversing camera which is about a hundred quid add on. My reversing camera has just packed up, moisture in the lens, so that's the next acquisition! Hope its a good bit of kit, relying on Garmins reputation on that one!

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Just picked my Garmin Dezl 760 LMT-D. Looks very nice, but as its Mrs A's birthday today, we are off out so won't get a chance to play with it till later tonight.
First impressions....its huge.....

Oops, the above sound a bit wrong........

Allan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back