Garmin 660lmt d (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Finally decided to investigate why I was not getting traffic alerts. Established reason not working is because i am using a replacement lead as need the length. Original power supply is too short to use the unit where I want it.
Spoken to Garmin and they do not provide a long lead with the traffic receiver built in. Sorry nothing they can do
Has anyone else the same issue and have they managed to resolve it.
Was wonder if a Cigarette Lighter Socket Extension would work?

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
So would the traffic alerts not work when the Garmin was running off it's own power supply?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
As @klaatu says, just get an extension lead, its what I have. Go on Fleabay and get one exactly the length you need. Beware the very cheap ones from China though, I found they could upset the Traffic Info. Don't know why though, probably because they only use one strand of copper per connection. Also make sure it is fully loaded, ie every connection wired and not just the 5v bit as it needs the data connections as well. :)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
As @klaatu says, just get an extension lead, its what I have. Go on Fleabay and get one exactly the length you need. Beware the very cheap ones from China though, I found they could upset the Traffic Info. Don't know why though, probably because they only use one strand of copper per connection. Also make sure it is fully loaded, ie every connection wired and not just the 5v bit as it needs the data connections as well. :)
A Cigar Lighter extension will definitely work. I have mine tucked away behind the dash so no wires show & the socket it's plugged into is underneath the passenger parcel tray. A USB extension, as suggested by SuperMike, would in theory work but finding one with the appropriate plug / socket to match the satnav would be impossible.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
The traffic info for my Garmin is via phone app, think it's called smart link

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
So would the traffic alerts not work when the Garmin was running off it's own power supply?
not working when running of replacement long lead :-( as not receiver in the lead
did not realise receiver is in lead that comes with it

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
A Cigar Lighter extension will definitely work. A USB extension, as suggested by SuperMike, would in theory work but finding one with the appropriate plug / socket to match the satnav would be impossible.

Yes a cigar lighter extension would be best, but I used a mini usb extension cable, the socket used on the Garmin, they are easy to find.

Like this ......

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Yes a cigar lighter extension would be best, but I used a mini usb extension cable, the socket used on the Garmin, they are easy to find.

Like this ......
I take it all back!! I wouldn't have thought there was any requirement for them.:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back