Garmin 660 LMT Camper Sat Nav problems (1 Viewer)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Mine's a 660. Overall I prefer it to the Tom Tom I had previously. My main gripe about both is the arcane (and slow) software they use and the way they deal with POIs.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Over the BH we went on a Suntreckers rally not far from home and knowing exactly where we were going, didn't both to take the SatNag. However our hab batteries popped their clogs, couldn't complain about that really, they were 8 years old LOL However we then had to go somewhere we didn't know to get new ones so a fellow camper lent us his Garmin (just a car one as he has a caravan) and we both quite liked the timely way it told us to turn into side roads etc or showed us exactly which lane to be in going round islands, without 'incessant nagging'.

I should think all makes have their own idiosyncracies, bit like people really!

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Ditched the Garmin purchased an Xgody x4 9inch display, free map uploads free speed cameras, £70 on flea bay and it’s been faultless well pleased with it Nav software is Igo. Fb group for advice downloads etc,

Feb 13, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115 Vogue
Exp
Since 2010
A bit off topic but we bought a Snooper Ventura SatNag in 2012. It worked okay..ish and we paid periodically to update it. In 2019 the company offered " lifetime updates" for a one off payment of (I think) ÂŁ129 which we took up. In 2020 they emailed again to tell us that our unit had reached the end of its life and was no longer supported. However we could buy another one for a discounted price! No thanks and bargepole spring to mind!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Ditched the Garmin purchased an Xgody x4 9inch display, free map uploads free speed cameras, £70 on flea bay and it’s been faultless well pleased with it Nav software is Igo. Fb group for advice downloads etc,
I recently replaced an XGody with one branded OHREX, which is the same unit. I think they sell the former on eBay and the latter on Amazon. So I have a few years experience of these cheapo chinese devices.
Basically you get reasonable value for your money but they all have quirks and flaws.
My biggest bugbare about these ones is the maps sometimes scroll too slow on junctions and roundabouts so you have to be very alert to avoid taking the wrong exit. Also they are at heart a truck sat nav and they often choose a circuitous route that presumably meets trucking requirements. And that's even though I have tried to input my vehicle data and type!
Furthermore, the OHREX keeps wanting me to take a road with a very low bridge near our house, (which the old XGody didn't) so I don't have great confidence it will keep us out of trouble.

However, having had the expensive Garmins and Tom Toms that have also been problematic I'd rather take my chances with one I can bin when it get too frustrating!

ps. Don't be fooled 'free speed camera' promises. Like their 'traffic data' the functions are based on historical rather than real time feeds.... Additionally, the free map updates on the old Xgody never worked. The unit just would not accept the update. I went for OHREX this time as they appear to have a UK base now.

pps. I have tried various phone apps but even though their prices are good still haven't found one that does it all. But at least google Maps gives you real time traffic information

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Do not stick with it. Garmin is useless for road navigation. Mine is up to date, but it lead us through the thick of it here in France. A lot better route was possible (shown on a different sat nav for motorhomes I carry with me) but ignored by the Garmin device which was a lot more expensive. Never again Garmin. They don't get there act together since years now.
We got to Spain 3 years ago and garmin had not got Spain on it, we thought we had updated it , so when I rang Garmin from Spain!! they said it hadnt got Southern Europe on it I said well it's got Italy on it !! , We bought a Tom Tom out there and it was brilliant.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
We too have the Camper 660 and have had issues with it last year and earlier this year. The problem we had was if we had been parked up for a few days and set up the device for our next destination, occasionally soon after we set off, the image of the van on the device would seem to do its own thing. It would drive across the fields parallel to the road it should have been on or there would be a considerable delay to what was happening in real life. We started to carry our Garmin Nuvi 2445 with us as back up, which in the many years we've had it had never let us down in the car. I contacted Garmin help and this is the reply I received, which I'm pleased to say worked perfectly ever since and have subsequently been told that if we reboot it if we have the problem after following these directions will correct the fault. What follows is the fix received. (y)

Thanks for the email.

I advise what we call a GPS soak. I need you to reset the device, followed by leaving the device under the open sky for 30mins, then fully update the device. this gives the device the opportunity to communicate, sync and calibrate with local satellites, which will then increase your GPS accuracy, and decrease the time taken to get a GPS fix. please ensure that you sync all your activities to Garmin connect beforehand, so you don't lose any data. Once the soak has been performed, please then re sync and update your device.

1. Start with the device turned off and unplugged from power
    • To verify the device is powered off and not in standby mode, press and hold down the power button until prompted to turn off the device
  2. Power on the device
  3. When the first copyright screen appears press and hold the lower right-hand corner of the display portion of the touchscreen
  4. Remove your finger from the touchscreen when "Erase all user data?" appears
  5. Touch Yes
    • If text language is not in English, this is the button on the right
Updating Automotive Maps and Software with Garmin Express

If the issue persists, I will need images of the issue, so I can see the severity, as well as your proof of purchase, to investigate this further. Thanks.

Should you have any further issues or queries, please contact us again.

Kind regards,

Jan 8, 2020
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
January 2012
Why use a separate GPS speedo? The normal GPS/SatNav has a speedo.
Also mapping problems are often because the country you are travelling through may not have provided the correct maps. I have had three Garmin GPS over the years and generally they get better. The main gripe is that they say they support map updates using a Mac. The Mac version is rubbish.

LaughingPlumber

Free Member
Jan 9, 2017
Sandbach
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML-T 580
Exp
Since 1991 on and off
Haven't tried this on our 660 or 760 (yet), but on our Edge cycling computers I install OpenMaps via Base Camp. Much better detail, no problems with updates, and FREE.

Cushie

Free Member
Sep 20, 2021
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Imala
I've used TomTom maps (paid for) on Navigator (free) for several years, easy to handle most of the time. However my current favourite is Google maps downloaded for offline use. She talks to me and I can ask her questions, she gives me advance notice of trouble ahead and is certainly up to date. Input and adding waypoints is easy and street view is amazing to check your route in 3D beforehand. 🙂

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back