Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
With my new little one I want to do the best for her.

P8170001.jpg

I have been keeping Great Danes since the sixites and they have always eaten what I eat plus all the bits I don't fancy eating, and most have had generally healthy lives and lived to 11 or 12, which is good for Danes

I am sure I was reprimanded on here for posting that my dog had something I had made which contained onions, so have done quite a lot of internet research on the subject, and I know the internet is not always good information, but I wondered why so many pet products are proud to say it contains garlic oil (which contains the same as onions, only in a higher amount) You can even buy specific garlic tablets and capsules.

I found this today which is the most illuminating information so far, and thought I would share, but I am still interested to hear others views

http://www.petguide.com/health/dog/the-shocking-truth-about-dogs-and-garlic/

Incidentally I have allowed my dogs grapes in the past (some really loved them) and now understand those can be toxic but apparently only to some dogs. Again - looking forward to others views.

amentalcat

Free Member
May 3, 2015
Herts, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
I'm a newbie
WOW, your new pup is smashing :).

As far as onions go, I have always avoided giving them (and leeks) to my dogs. I don't think the odd bit here and there will really do much harm, but I wouldn't choose to give it to them, however I do think that Garlic has some useful properties and when i used to make my own training treats, i would add Garlic or Garlic powder to my Liver mix. Although the chemicals in Garlic are the same as in other members of the Allium family, the levels are a lot lot lower and i think the positives outweigh the negatives.

Ali xx

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Phoebe looks absolutely beautiful, what a lovely face! She looks wise beyond her years.

Can't help with the garlic although I use it with my hens.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Our Dalmatian loves garlic & our daughters Labrador used to hunt onions out of the veg rack & eat them without any apparent harm( although we have since moved the veg)
Most of the family's dogs seam to like quite a lot of veg, particularly red or green peppers?

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Thanks all - I think she is a little sweetie too :)

I wouldn't specifically feed onions, but regularly if I poached chicken I would add onion and carrots, and once the chicken was removed and the stock strained off my danes would eat what was left (bones and all) without harm over 45 years and more. Mind you I never had a greedy gobbling dog, and they always chewed their food well. When Phoebe the First was old I did take any potentially splintery bones out just in case.

Little Miss Phoebe (above) is nearly ten weeks so its early days, but I like them to have a varied diet starting when young so she has tried an egg, some cheese, a bit of orange, some celery, a carrot, and chicken, minced beef and poached salmon - the last three being the favorites :)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Lovely dog.

Can't help with diet though sorry.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
dogs cant process the toxic chemicals in onions and it causes a very nasty form of blood poisoning. in bad cases the blood starts to congeal into clots in the arteries and the dog collapses. by the time they collapse, its often too late and there is little hope
even cooked or dried powdered onion is very toxic. the smaller the dog is, the less it takes

some people are very surprised by the number of plants toxic to dogs and cats

Attachments

• plants dangerous to dogs list.xls
    249 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Thanks for that The Big 1 - might I ask the source of the Toxic Plant List in your attachment? Thanks :)

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
awww, she is absolutely gorgeous, what a beautiful life and travelling companion, am sure she will very quickly fill that empty space in your heart over the loss of your original phoebe, if she hasn't already..

garlic is a natural antiseptic and antibiotic, both for us and our dogs..

when i had my beardies, the juliette de baraclai levi books were my bibles on natural rearing and any illnesses that they may have had, although i was so lucky that they rarely had need to go near a vet..

as to what's supposedly bad for them, had one that stole and devoured a pound box of chocs, and another that ate the best part of a huge christmas cake cooling on the window ledge, neither suffered any ill effects in any way or even had the 'good grace' to be sick, bless 'em, although that wasn't the words i used at the time.. :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Thanks for that The Big 1 - might I ask the source of the Toxic Plant List in your attachment? Thanks :)
Way back I worked in rescue and this was a collaborative work developed by multiple knowledgeable people and vets. back before google was god

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back