Gardening; Chinese cabbage (1 Viewer)

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Does anyone know if Chinese cabbage, sometimes called Chinese leave are attacked by the cabbage-white butterfly?

Doug...

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Yes!:thumb: Chinese Cabbage is! you need to protect it by either covering it with enviro mesh ,spray or picking the grungees off by hand, enviro mesh is the cheaper way, time wise!

If you are going to spray you need something Sytemic like "ORTHENE" If you are not a commercial grower you havn't got a chance of getting that,, SO, go for enviro mesh(available at your local garden centre) :thumb:

You also need to check your soil, if too acidic you'll have "burnt edges" to your leaves, you might have to lime.

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Yes!:thumb: Chinese Cabbage is! you need to protect it by either covering it with enviro mesh ,spray or picking the grungees off by hand, enviro mesh is the cheaper way, time wise!

If you are going to spray you need something Sytemic like "ORTHENE" If you are not a commercial grower you havn't got a chance of getting that,, SO, go for enviro mesh(available at your local garden centre) :thumb:

You also need to check your soil, if too acidic you'll have "burnt edges" to your leaves, you might have to lime.

Thanks for that, my last years attempt was decimated by CW and I don't like using chemical so I was hoping that the Chinese version would be the answer, never mind I grow something else.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Does anyone know if Chinese cabbage, sometimes called Chinese leave are attacked by the cabbage-white butterfly?

Doug...

Yes it is
But fortunately only by the Kamakazee variety
Ok I know there Japanees but close enough for a larf:ROFLMAO:
Geo

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I usually cover my chinese leaf with mayonaise or salad cream that keeps the buggers off:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Seriously I would use mesh

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back