Garages in British vans (1 Viewer)

Mar 2, 2019
Vale of Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
Carado T447
Exp
I am a newbie ex caravaner for 40years
Carado T447 . 7.2 mt has a great garage .i carry my 125 motorbike in it and still have room for the spare wheel. Tables and chairs etc the T337 is about 6.8 mt but smaller garage .
What sort of load does the motorbike and the chairs etc put on the rear axle,is your T447 the 3500 0r 3850 version?
Nice MH by the way..

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Bike is 110 kg .mh is plated at 3850

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I have 2 MHs - a 5.5m Eriba and a 7.5m Mobilvetta

The storage inside each is similar, the difference is the Moby has a garage which unless you can get anything in it is useless

It's not easy getting a scooter into the 'garage' - try it before you buy :unsure:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have 2 MHs - a 5.5m Eriba and a 7.5m Mobilvetta

The storage inside each is similar, the difference is the Moby has a garage which unless you can get anything in it is useless

It's not easy getting a scooter into the 'garage' - try it before you buy :unsure:
You will have to tell us one day why you have 13m of motorhomes...;):)

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
That's not correct.

We have a large garage and the bed is at the normal height.

We too have a large garage and our bed can be raised or lowered as required - the best of both worlds!

Ian

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Or does it have more to do with that being the classic touring caravan layout and almost all of the British converters were originally caravan builders? The other thing is that a great many British motorhomers are former tuggers so that's the layout they're most familiar with.

If British people really prefer that layout why are European built vans so popular here?

Spot on!

Ian

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Agree, the word “garage” is very misleading. I call ours a “cave”. Enough space for plenty of junk, but not enough height for bikes, whether motorised or not. And 100kg overloads the rear axle...

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I call ours a garage as I can drive the scooter up the ramp and into "the garage" still with the mirrors and top box on and the tandem already inside as it lives there, then I can put a couple of mountain bikes canoe BBQ etc, the table and chairs are always accessible from the back door of the garage.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Is it a pantechnicon?
No but I am struggling to find another van with as much space at 8.5 metres or less.

Martin

IMG_0605.jpg

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
'garage' is the sales waffle
some, but definitely not all, of the lifting bed to make the 'garage' bigger vans have panels by the bed that are truly horrendous...like tambour doors...not the sort of thing i want to wake up next to
others have a 'garage' thats just high enough to get chairs in
my last van was german and had a rear lounge, my new van search list had rear lounge at the very top but i ended up with an english van, a dinette and rear high bed over garage which can easily accommodate bicycles
it suits us because we carry everything we could ever need no matter what the weather, easy because its a 6 berth and there are 2 of us, if we wildcamp the bikes are nice and safe, if we site we have all our toys with us
i do wonder about some of the vans with 'garages' where they stuff everything in plus a motorbike but then we are back to the age old overloading again, mine came with a bike rack on the rear and if you had a few bikes on it, some reasonably chairs and stuff in the garage then the rear axle would be well over even though its a 3850kg van

and seeing the way the car on an a-frame thing is going...how long before the authorities decide that carrying a motorbike makes it a goods vehicle not a motorhome?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Anyone noticed the protesters shutting down half of London this week. Wonder what that is all about...:whistle:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Anyone noticed the protesters shutting down half of London this week. Wonder what that is all about...:whistle:
Don't know London have made it quite clear that we are not welcome with our van.

Martin

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Don't know London have made it quite clear that we are not welcome with our van.
Martin
Sorry I cant think of a single reason why anyone would want to take a Winnebago into any city centre but correction, you are not actually bared from entry in your van. (y)
The tube is a fantastic alternative for sightseeing though.:cool:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I think most if not all British manufacturers design their vans just for use for a few weeks in the summer for people who still prefer to use them like a caravan.
Maybe this is the reason they are not built as well as Euro vans as there is no need.
So many motorhomes in Britain are used rarely, hence all the low mileage vans for sale ( with still new carpets that have been stored in the attic!), plethora of storage sites and sales of aquarolls)
There were U.K. reg motorhomes on the site we were in last week in Cambridge with aquarolls, waste hogs and awnings, just like the caravans!
Buy a used van on the continent and it will have been properly used with much higher mileages.
Rear lounges are popular because they replicate most caravan designs in the UK, but some manufacturers off Euro type layouts too. Many continental manufacturers also started by making caravans and some still do.
We looked at all the British vans available but couldnt find anything that offered what we wanted. Closest was the new Bailey Autographs, but they were too wide and we were disappointed in the quality of the interiors and worried by all the bad reviews
We opted for German built with lots of storage and while we have a garage, (large space under the rear bed accessed from both sides) we had no interest in storing a motorbike or scooter, so didn’t need the height.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Sorry I cant think of a single reason why anyone would want to take a Winnebago into any city centre but correction, you are not actually bared from entry in your van. (y)
The tube is a fantastic alternative for sightseeing though.:cool:

Come, come Mr B - even you must know all you can see from "the tube" is tunnel walls & the occasional station!! ;)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
I bought my Moby because I wanted the extra living space, a fixed bed but no dinette. It came with a large garage which was used last year to transport a fitted kitchen to Spain and this year a 3 piece suite, again to Spain.

I know you shouldn't and I was probably overweight but I have air assist and truly didn't notice the difference.

I'll keep my bike in it but not sure if it's anymore secure than a bike rack as judging by the marks on the garage door and the extra lock it must have been forced at sometime. Most of the time it's empty apart from the spare wheel, tools and a couple of chairs......unless I need to move stuff again;)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Come, come Mr B - even you must know all you can see from "the tube" is tunnel walls & the occasional station!! ;)
Yeah but take the escalator up at any of the hundreds of stops is a pleasure to behold.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I bought my Moby because I wanted the extra living space, a fixed bed but no dinette. It came with a large garage which was used last year to transport a fitted kitchen to Spain and this year a 3 piece suite, again to Spain.

I know you shouldn't and I was probably overweight but I have air assist and truly didn't notice the difference.

I'll keep my bike in it but not sure if it's anymore secure than a bike rack as judging by the marks on the garage door and the extra lock it must have been forced at sometime. Most of the time it's empty apart from the spare wheel, tools and a couple of chairs......unless I need to move stuff again;)

You might be right about security, although the alarms on a garage might be more effective, but if goods are out of sight they are less of a temptation. Breaking into a garage might only give access to the minimal items in your garage - not a great haul.

Geoff

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
You might be right about security, although the alarms on a garage might be more effective, but if goods are out of sight they are less of a temptation. Breaking into a garage might only give access to the minimal items in your garage - not a great haul.Geoff

My garage has old broken alarm contacts, the history file for the van shows 2 alarm systems in the past - neither are active

Not really thought about having it alarmed again - might be complicated - there's no active central locking but the passenger door unlocks when I switch the headlights on:rofl:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You might be right about security, although the alarms on a garage might be more effective, but if goods are out of sight they are less of a temptation. Breaking into a garage might only give access to the minimal items in your garage - not a great haul.

Geoff
Extra security lock like Fiamma ones announces to toe rags there is something worth nicking in there, they also do more damage breaking in.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back