LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Why would you want a rear lounge looking out of small windows when you can have a huge front lounge looking out a huge window

And have a massive garage too
20170916_085118.jpg

And it's for sale:p

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
You can always lounge on the easily available beds... always more comfortable than a sofa for me.

indeed.. but a bed isn't the same as a lounge.. that was our opinion.. we don't go to bed at home to lounge and watch TV

We are of the same opinion. I don't get the hang up with rear lounges, I have notice most brit vans have standard Fiat seats at the front where as most Continental vans have good quality captains seats that are the most comfortable in the house making a rear lounge redundant IMO.

we had "good quality captains chairs". and they were comfortable.. but after driving all day I wanted a change of seating.. (not just swivelled around to face the back, or to sit looking out the front screen .. ) you can't really 'slob out' on a captains chair.. no matter how comfy.. you need a sofa to do that ..

the age old saying.. "each to their own. no right or wrong" .. if we were all had the same preferences, there would only be one layout ..

If you have twin full length couches. then I agree , no need for a U shape lounge .. we had neither.

Last edited:

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
I find the on-going discussion, comments and opinions about "continental quality" and "british built" fascinating.
In the boating world the discussion, comments and opinions are just the same although the perception is that British built boats are high quality and German built boats are the poor relative.

Having worked on boats of all kinds of makes and countries of origin, I can honestly say that quality can often be perceived and some of the highest regarded builders can have some very dubious build practices under the fabric. From what I have seen of the motorhome industry, it has a lot of similarities. :(

The bizarre thing is, no-one has ever been on-board one of our German boats or in our British motorhome and told me to my face that my pride and joy is poor quality and yet I go onto a forum.... :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
indeed.. but a bed isn't the same as a lounge.. that was our opinion.. we don't go to bed at home to lounge and watch TV

we had "good quality captains chairs". and they were comfortable.. but after driving all day I wanted a change of seating.. (not just swivelled around to face the back, or to sit looking out the front screen .. ) you can't really 'slob out' on a captains chair.. no matter how comfy.. you need a sofa to do that ..

the age old saying.. "each to their own. no right or wrong" .. if we were all had the same preferences, there would only be one layout ..

If you have twin full length couches. then I agree , no need for a U shape longe .. we had neither.
I have to say out of 10 or 11 caravans numerous camper vans and 6 motorhomes

I've yet to find any with a truly comfortable sofa to lounge on.

They just don't exsist because they are in vans and they are never wide enough the base is always totally flat which a house sofa isn't and the backrest is too vertical and not high enough because there's usually a window behind them , slouch too much and the cushions heading for the floor. Not too mention the lack of a padded armrest.

The only way to get comfy is to back yourself in the corner and put your feet up.

Maybe an rv with proper sofas is different but caravans and motorhomes we all just make do with what's available

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

They just don't exsist because they are in vans and they are never wide enough the base is always totally flat which a house sofa isn't and the backrest is too vertical and not high enough because there's usually a window behind them , slouch too much and the cushions heading for the floor. Not too mention the lack of a padded armrest.

The only way to get comfy is to back yourself in the corner and put your feet up.

Maybe an rv with proper sofas is different but caravans and motorhomes we all just make do with what's available
Agreed. I can do a very impressive slouch on the cab seat though :).

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I find the on-going discussion, comments and opinions about "continental quality" and "british built" fascinating.
In the boating world the discussion, comments and opinions are just the same although the perception is that British built boats are high quality and German built boats are the poor relative.

Having worked on boats of all kinds of makes and countries of origin, I can honestly say that quality can often be perceived and some of the highest regarded builders can have some very dubious build practices under the fabric. From what I have seen of the motorhome industry, it has a lot of similarities. :(

The bizarre thing is, no-one has ever been on-board one of our German boats or in our British motorhome and told me to my face that my pride and joy is poor quality and yet I go onto a forum.... :D

For me it's like folk have said above most British vans are built by caravan makers and you can see it in the quality . Many still use caravan type windows unlike the Seitz ones in frames and the trim where the side panels meets the roof etc ...they just never look well finished to me.

But people buy them

I'm still unsure if that's through choice of brand or simply because they tend to be cheaper.

Maybe with boats it's because Britain always had a good ship building industry so I suppose that would work it's way down to smaller vessels

Whereas we always built crap caravans.

Our cars weren't much better lol

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

don't think anyone would argue with that.. but I wasn't comparing a U shaped lounge to domestic sofa ..

the OP was asking why Brit vans don't have a garage to which I gave a reason.. and why I prefer twin sofas or U shaped lounge to what I had.. ie. an L shape , and while it looked comfy it was useless for lounging or having a nap during the day ..

also had countless caravans, motorhomes, campers and also a Georgieboy 36ft Cummins Diesel Pusher, which we lived in for three years.. touring all over Europe and Morocco .. It had a three seater sofa, twin armchairs and two bucket chairs + a six seater dinette.. .. all very very comfortable, ideal for full timing.

So I would say I was reasonably acquainted with the limitations of motorhome seating design. .

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
ah ok.. sorted.. predictive text again

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
My original grouch was that many, most or even all British manufacturers do not give us the choice of having or not having a garage. I would love to support British vans, but having been put off by the fiasco from Swift and floor problems. I started being critical of other features, which I am sure was unfair. They have produced some innovative layouts and attractive interiors but having bought German now, I would need a lot of persuasion to buy British again. I actually feel angry that other countries are leading the way, I would so like to think we could build the very best in the U.K. but realise that Bentley tried and what happened to them?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
My original grouch was that many, most or even all British manufacturers do not give us the choice of having or not having a garage. I would love to support British vans, but having been put off by the fiasco from Swift and floor problems. I started being critical of other features, which I am sure was unfair. They have produced some innovative layouts and attractive interiors but having bought German now, I would need a lot of persuasion to buy British again. I actually feel angry that other countries are leading the way, I would so like to think we could build the very best in the U.K. but realise that Bentley tried and what happened to them?
There's not many things out there these days that I'd buy British.
It's ok trying to support British manufacturing but not when it's crap I'm afraid

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
British vans don’t float my boat at all, quite honestly. They seem to be inferior in build to the continental ones and they don’t offer the features we want.
Comments re British m/h’s being “inferior build” are old hat now.

Many of the so called superior Continental brands are now being built down to a price. Check the comments on MHF forums. (The very top marques are still good though).

Over 30 years of motorhoming we have had 7 motorhomes. All have been British and none have had significant problems, although I admit that the more recent ones are better as new construction techniques are adopted.

Layout preferences dictate how British m/h’s are laid out. Living space is usually more appreciated than garage space.

We have not found a Continental layout that suits us, but that is just a matter of choice.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!(y):)

Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
I think one of the sacrifices for a large garage is a high bed and that’s not for me.
We bought a Pilote P650GJ last year. It has low twin singles and a good sized garage. There is also a model with higher beds and taller garage, but we wanted the low beds.

Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
You can always lounge on the easily available beds... always more comfortable than a sofa for me.
Yes, our beds have a lift up headrest, very comfy for reading.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
We bought a Pilote P650GJ last year. It has low twin singles and a good sized garage. There is also a model with higher beds and taller garage, but we wanted the low beds.

My definition of a garage is one that can get a scooter or push bikes in upright, anything else is a cupboard/locker and you can’t get a scooter under a low bed, that’s just my interpretation of a garage, everyone else has different interpretations I guess.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
My definition of a garage is one that can get a scooter or push bikes in upright, anything else is a cupboard/locker and you can’t get a scooter under a low bed, that’s just my interpretation of a garage, everyone else has different interpretations I guess.
I can get a scooter and a push bike plus lots of other stuff in my garage...

Then when you take the scooter out flick a switch and the bed lowers down to the same height as the lounge seating

Best of both worlds and even when the beds down it still takes everything plus the pushbike

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Buy a good British van and tow a small trailer....(y)

Lots of British vans have loads of extra’s which when buying a continental van costs an arm and a leg as extra’s. I love the fact that a well known premium class German manufacturer has an extra option of a secure door lock.... why??? Does that mean that the standard lock fitted is not sufficiently secure......now how is that fit for purpose?

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
I agree with you rosalan. We are looking to change our MH but the one thing it must have is a garage this time. Our current one, which is our first MH, hasn’t got one.
We would like a large garage that would house two large electric bikes and singles or an island bed. We were looking yesterday and there were only three on the forecourt - all foreign and all too expensive for us. Shame.
Why do people call it a garage hardly big enough for the smallest of cars more like a large cupboard.
still I suppose most people fill up their garage with other items rather than a car.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Why do people call it a garage hardly big enough for the smallest of cars more like a large cupboard.
still I suppose most people fill up their garage with other items rather than a car.
Motorbikes go in garages too

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Think I may hesitate if you'd ask me back for a 'coffee' :whistle::LOL:

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
but I've never tried sleeping with it raised.

I could never get to sleep with it 'raised' in my younger days. No longer have that problem :LOL::LOL:;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back