LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Our new to us MH has a large garage, maybe too large. Struggling to find tidy secure ways of storing stuff. Has anyone got a photo of their lovely tidy garage to show off? Or give us a few ideas of how to stop stuff falling over and rattling around?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Firstly a garage can not be too large, you just don’t have enough rubbish yet?

I have a frame to strap tables and chairs to but that is so that I can access from the door in the back wall and still get access to the Tandem, loose stuff is in boxes which have their own place, bikes are tied to the far wall with space in the middle for the scooter, canoe, kayak etc.

Martin

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I like these Euro Stacking boxes

They come in a number of different heights and stack really well on top of each other.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We have a number of really useful boxes that live up to their name and are used in the back for a variety of stuff depending on our travels. We have various hooks on the wall that have bungee cords for things like the chairs and table to be secured and the bikes fit on a rail thing. It is all very neat and tidy as it’s Chris’ domain so everything has a place.

I will take a photo early next week Hils and Glenns as it is currently empty but about to be packed for a trip to the Pershore plum festival.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Screwfix £26 racking. 400mm deep x 900mm wide. It comes in 2 x 900mm high pieces of which you only use half. Ours stands perfectly without being bolted down. Cliff fixed roofing batons to the back to make it more rigid.

3333D172-9D44-4192-BB5C-D376163DE776.jpeg

D5916C24-8DE6-478B-A3A8-BAF322E8C9AF.jpeg

23A95EA1-6085-45E2-99E6-4E546641F316.jpeg

Works for us.

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
I like these Euro Stacking boxes

They come in a number of different heights and stack really well on top of each other.

Exactly what we plan to use.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've done various versions of storage over the years depending on the vehicle and what we want to store. In our current camper I have an old card table which I cut the legs down on, this allowed me to store stuff on top and takes a wheeled container underneath with levelling ramps etc at the size (the table is held in situ with 2 hooks/eyes. If necessary it can be easily and quickly removed, such as when we went to collect a scooter and more recently needed to take stuff to/from our ex-rental bungalow whilst we did it up; I'm not a fan of having 'fixed' storage for this very reason.

Below are some images of storage in our campers and MHs. You could use some of the plastic drawer units which makes getting to stuff much easier than trying to remove crates and lift the lids, its not difficult to secure the drawers in transit so that's not an issue, and again they can be removed if needs be, they are also light too so no don't add unnecessary weight especially important if you are near your max rear axle weight.

Attachments

• Underbed storage.png
    Underbed storage.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 344
  • storage pockets.JPG
    storage pockets.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 316
  • triangle storage.png
    triangle storage.png
    916.3 KB · Views: 315
  • 06 - Storage offisde.JPG
    06 - Storage offisde.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 338
  • 08 - Hanging net nearside.JPG
    08 - Hanging net nearside.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 365
  • multi draw unit.jpg
    multi draw unit.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 346
  • 4 drawer unit.jpg
    4 drawer unit.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 330

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Why????. I just looked at the Pictures. I can only ask, that how much of what is there is ever used?. I had R-V`s until I gave up my LGV. When we sold it, I nearly filled half of a double garage with what came out of the "basement".!! Now I have a "cull" annually, If it hasnt been used since the last "cull" it come out!. Also How many have checked their rear axle weight loaded?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Where do you buy elastic webbing from please?
Its a luggage netting, you can buy it for roof racks, or smaller versions for motorcycle etc rear racks ... I usually pick it up at car boot sales.

Another thing that is a useful way to store smaller stuff is with boot storage bags that are intended to fix to the back of a rear car seat, like this:

boot tidy.jpg

Last edited:

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
How much STUFF do you want to carry. It all adds weight and some of it is never used. We use stackable boxes in the garage. Bikes go one either side with chairs down the middle. Bikes just have a narrow ratchet strap to the floor rails. Watering cans on top. Why make it complicated.

OP
OP
Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
How much STUFF do you want to carry. It all adds weight and some of it is never used. We use stackable boxes in the garage. Bikes go one either side with chairs down the middle. Bikes just have a narrow ratchet strap to the floor rails. Watering cans on top. Why make it complicated.
Its because we don't carry a lot of stuff and have a big garage that we have a problem with things staying put. We don't take bikes unless we know we will definitely use them. We've carted bikes around Europe in the past and they've never seen the light of day. :D2

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
This is one of those moments where you ask, 'if you didn't need a garage , why do you have one', but honestly, the statement 'you don't have enough stuff yet ' is more appropriate.

I am against anything that is bolted in because once its there , its there . No flexibility to use the space you have because its racked out of whatever.

We have 4 different sets of needs, so what goes in the back varies massively, based on where we go and what we do.

I have stacker boxes , and you can guarantee whatever we need is in the bottom one, at all times.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
This is one of those moments where you ask, 'if you didn't need a garage , why do you have one', but honestly, the statement 'you don't have enough stuff yet ' is more appropriate.
Sometimes a garage comes as a side-benefit/issue of having a massive rear fixed bed! :)

I am against anything that is bolted in because once its there , its there . No flexibility to use the space you have because its racked out of whatever.
Same here ... as we only have a Smart ForTwo if we need to move anything large it has to be done in the camper, hence our storage stuff being removable.

We have 4 different sets of needs, so what goes in the back varies massively, based on where we go and what we do.
Yup, we always take my inflatable kayak, paddles etc but sometimes the bikes, sometimes not. I had a good sortie when we changed campers so only keep in it what we are likely to use, very little of the 'just in case' stuff now, makes finding stuff easier as you don't have to keep moving other bits to get it!

I have stacker boxes , and you can guarantee whatever we need is in the bottom one, at all times.
Exactly why I suggested the drawer units instead ... the wheeled trunk we have doesn't normally have the lid on and as I made the table the right height for it to go under with a bit of clearance it's not needed either, this means I can just pull it out, get what I want and push it back, if it had the lid on it would be a pain having to totally remove it to access the stuff inside.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Here you go, each trip is different so we like our storage to be flexible . We have various size and shape boxes and on this trip we have bike fixed in a rail plus open water swimming kit.
B10ECC47-4361-4028-A72B-8ABA0DCDBD90.jpeg
25D97936-4949-4677-8A8D-FF11BCB9B5D0.jpeg
A049D6F0-1E49-49B9-A8C8-5885E938FB26.jpeg
389458DE-2A1F-4045-8DD5-CBAA786196B8.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread