Garage Broken into while away in the Motorhome. Obvious Target? (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
So 2 weeks ago almost now we went away for a couple of nights to the Lakes.

Left on Tuesday about 3pm and back Thursday 4pm.

Friday I saw my neighbour and he informed me that his garage has been broken in to and mine. We have a garage that is a block of 10 or so on the road behind the house with a double drive that we park the motorhome on.

My garage door is bomb proof. Literally nothing is getting thru it.

So what they did was break in next door and knock a hole in the wall to climb thru and take stuff.

My main concern here is does it make it super obvious were away when the Motorhome is not on the drive. Have others been targeted and broken into while away?

I use it for work a few times a month and its now and then at the dealers having install work done so its not always not here when were in. But I guess people won't think that. My wife is worried that I might go to work in it now and they break into the house while she's in with the kids thinking the house is empty.

Should I look to move it to storage? shame as we have a perfect set up where it is with power hook up and not been outside the house to be unsightly and CCTV etc on it.

Its not obvious which house it belongs to as were on the next street up and there are no numbers on the garage. But I do park outside the house to load up for setting off so thats a big flag I guess.

Anyway just dealing with the insurance. About £3500 worth of toys and tools taken as well as the damage to the wall.

The Garage was sat unsecured for 3 days so could have even been multiple people go in. My cameras captured the time of break in with dust everywhere but as they were pointing at the door and they broke in the back on the garage unfortunately they never stepped forward into view. Typical
IMG_6704.JPG
IMG_6705.JPG
IMG_6706.JPG

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
They can't have associated the garage with the house or that would have been the most obvious target.was your neighbour away also?,to have broken into his and then thru the wall to yours.a very determined breaking.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I can only assume that your 'bomb proof door' was something that gave the armholes the incentive to get in with all the effort required to break down the wall.
I would invest in some ear splitting sirens and alarm sensors possibly by using a couple of trip wires at low and medium height levels that pull out a plug to set off the sirens.
The worst part about these events is that you and your family are expecting it to happen again and it affects your plans.
Try to improve the security to a point that you think will put them off and hopefully you will not have any more breakins and will regain some confidence that they will stay away and pick an easier target

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I reckon my MH is safer in storage than on my front garden, plus it would block the light into the front room if it was at home. Our garage is also in a separate block nearby and I park my car outside up close to the door to deter anyone from going in the obvious way.

I'd have thought it might be more about someone knowing what's in your garage rather than monitoring your movements. Presumably you've not been posting on visible social media about travel plans and garage contents?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hard to say if it was due to you and your neighbour being away as they are compound garages. As you say hard to associate the garage with the house without constant surveillance on you. Maybe just trying their luck on some garages and the fact yours had extra security made them think there was something in there worth nicking.
I would carry on as normaly and treat it as a one off that is unlikley to happen again.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Do you trust your neighbour? Seems a little odd to me!
You don't knock through a garage wall, with all the noise, hassle, and risk, unless you knew what was in there.
I am a terrible Cynic though.
They might have looked through the window? :)

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
You don't knock through a garage wall, with all the noise, hassle, and risk, unless you knew what was in there.

All my security is on the inside. And alarms and big locks.. but the garage is part of the house , which is the first priority when buying..

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
A single brick wall would take a couple of minutes to break through & not much longer to enlarge the hole. There wouldn't be much noise either. It is possible that once into the easy one they saw the single brick division, thought why not, and broke through on spec.

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
A single brick wall would take a couple of minutes to break through & not much longer to enlarge the hole. There wouldn't be much noise either. It is possible that once into the easy one they saw the single brick division, thought why not, and broke through on spec.

Agree, it wouldn't take long, but first few bricks would make a racket.
OP also said a block of 10 garages. Why didn't they knock through to the others?
As I said I'm a Cynic.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Let's examine the evidence. A gas mask in photo 2 and an insurance claim for £3,500.

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Let's examine the evidence. A gas mask in photo 2 and an insurance claim for £3,500.

Its obvious where you start! Check if anyone in street is called Mustard, Plum, Scarlet, Green, Peacock or white(y)

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Do you trust your neighbour? Seems a little odd to me!.

Yea. They are the quietest most respectful Chinese people I have ever met. The only peep we hear from them is there daughters violin practice at 7pm every night.

They were not away also. He just uses his garage for storage and only goes to it about once a week max. They broke in his thru the rear window which is unfortunately out of sight to anyone unless you go round the back of the garages which is pointless as it's a dead end ally.

Also pointless having a window? No view and not even at the house so no one spends time in them other then dumping camping gear and other stuff you don't use often

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
I see they left the Harley.
Yea I think they were hoping for a motocross bike.

They did take a lot of tools and my very nice precharge air rifle :-(

And my Allan key set lol. Came to use it tonight and realised it had gone. Typical. At least that was only about a tenner.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I put a four zone alarm on my garage, double door, side door and two pir sensors for £100. Nice flashing amber led outside and a bright blue one when its set off plus a very loud siren but you do need leccy (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... no mention of a Rolex though ... :whistle:

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I have often thought that a van on/off the drive is a bit of a givaway. My friends say we knew you were away, your vans not there, so what about burglers ? I have made it as secure as I can with big bolts, security lights, etc.
Phil

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Our garage was right next to house with MH standing in front of it in view of road.
Security light woke me-we found two lads had taken glass out of window and were just about to climb in (2 off road motorbikes an numerous bits of kit in there) hubby went, they scarpered over locked gate & up road this was at midnight!
Next day MH went away for some work to be done. That night, before midnight lads were back, this time we were ready, they got away.
MH not being there obviously showed we weren't home-although we were ha-ha!
We removed window and beefed up door, think they were caught, lucky escape for us!

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Yea. They are the quietest most respectful Chinese people I have ever met. The only peep we hear from them is there daughters violin practice at 7pm every night.

They were not away also. He just uses his garage for storage and only goes to it about once a week max. They broke in his thru the rear window which is unfortunately out of sight to anyone unless you go round the back of the garages which is pointless as it's a dead end ally.

Also pointless having a window? No view and not even at the house so no one spends time in them other then dumping camping gear and other stuff you don't use often

Thats my flimsy theory down the tube!
Maybe @tonyidle and others are correct and it was done on spec!

If as you said the garage door was rock solid and they could see that from outside, they would expect smething of value inside. Or they are local scroates
and walked past when you had door open.
You couldnt of done much more on security. You dont expect people to knock down walls for some tools!
Why not, go the whole way and knick the valuable Harley?

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Have often thought van at home is a givaway to the scumbags --van gone --house empty. Am concidering leaving /paying for van at a compound in future.

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
I have often thought that a van on/off the drive is a bit of a givaway. My friends say we knew you were away, your vans not there, so what about burglers ? I have made it as secure as I can with big bolts, security lights, etc.
Phil
We keep ours in storage but when we bring it home to load it,it's a dead giveaway that we are going away.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Can't stay at home all day/year.... if they want something they'll get it eventually, just unlucky and the police try to do their job but the courts need to deal properly with the scrotes rather then a slap on the wrist...

Dartagnan

Free Member
Mar 27, 2013
Bangor NI
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Personally, going on the info provided I would suggest its opportunistic. The security was the trigger point, garage door security beefed up and metal shutters on the rear window. Broke in, saw what was inside and took what they could. Perhaps less than they were hoping for.! Either the security of the garage door from the inside foiled them with regard to nicking the m/c or they weren't interested in it! Had they gone for the Harley they would have brought the appropriate tools to do the door from the inside.
The question you are asking is did they know I was away? I would suggest that is irrelevant because even if you were home they could still have committed the offence due to the location of the garage! I know what you mean though I.e. is it someone who knows of me?
When I eventually purchase a mh even though it will fit on the drive I will keep it in secure storage as mh on drive is too much of a giveaway when not home.

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
Pre-charge air rifle? Isn't that classed as a bona-fide firearm? If so, IWHT that the police would be more inclined to investigate?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Our MH is on drive and everybody knows when we're gone so they all keep eye out
Having nosey neighbours can sometimes be a bonus

And our neighbours have a set of keys for our house (as we do for theirs - and keys are kept secure and don't have names / addresses on them).

We weren't even out of the MH on Thursday when next door came round to check it was us!!!

We have a grill over the garage window, not sure if that is a deterrent or an invitation but looking in you can see a load of junk :) It would take a brave person to risk it.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

I just can't see the opportunist thief breaking through a wall. I'm with you ..

Breaking through brickwork could be easy or bloody hard. If that wall single skin or not was built with strong compo it would be some hefty thumping ... Surely they don't go equipped with breakers or SDS ?

This was a planned event. I cannot for a second believe otherwise. An opportunist would have done the house not the Garage UNLESS they knew what was in there. Whoever did this knew what they were after that's for sure.

I sincerely hope the perpetrators wake up with scabby knackers of the uncurable variety. Scum.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back