Games ( board / card based ) for the van ? (1 Viewer)

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
We bought an old school compendium of 100 games (incl variations) from amazon just before Xmas. Great value £10. Played ludo last night, first time for about 40 years, great fun & found how competitive we are. Also bought one for adult son & gf, they loved it

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Good 'gateway' games include Ticket To Ride, Africana, Carcassonne, Ingenious. A bit more 'brain-burning' but great fun are games like Castles of Burgundy, Tikal, Settlers of Catan, London, Five Tribes (new game this year).

I wanted to buy settlers of catan, is it different to Carcassonne? Have you tried Pandemic and 7 wonders?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Oh and Blokus is good as well. I got a travel set from The Works when it was on special offer. 2 players only though.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
There is a games convention next weekend in Stockport - anyone going? We have the grandson so son and DIL can attend. :)

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I wanted to buy settlers of catan, is it different to Carcassonne? Have you tried Pandemic and 7 wonders?
Settlers is quite different to Carcassonne. Although there is initial tile (hex) placement, from then on the game is about gaining/using resources to build roads/settlements/cities - by dice rolling and by trading. Because of the trading element, Settlers is really only enjoyable with 3 or more players - but there is a very good card version of the game for just 2 players called The Rivals for Catan.

Have played Pandemic a few times - a fellow Funster has the game and we play it when we meet up. :Smile:

Have not played 7 Wonders tho' would be keen to try it. About a year ago we did have a Funster Board Game Meet for a weekend at a pub on the River Severn. We parked up in the pub car park for £4-5 pound a night and played various board games in the pub. If you're interested (and a few others!) maybe we could try the same thing again sometime ........

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
All the above we have either played to death (!!!! ) or have tried and aint keen.. All that is bar Sequence

That looks interesting :)

Might get a new Rummicub too as ours is pretty much worn out and no longer in the van
We found Rummikub was excellent especially when playing with French friends who had very little English - sorry, not selling:xsmile:

Jan 16, 2014
Harleston, Harleston, Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class, Autotrail Scout
Exp
Oct, 2013
Anyone got any suggestions for a board game for the van ?
All we have is scrabble, cards, dominoes and Ludo at the moment

LOL !!
No !
Two reasons
1) I will loose any way
2) I rarely have time to sh!t, fart or have a shave over the whole four days !!

Ludo - Navy rules - submariner's version, called Uckers.

At any meet that we are both at and if you got time, Uckers is a marmite game, you either love or hate it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uckers

http://www.uckers.co.uk/

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Haven't played boardgames for a while, used to enjoy backgammon and mahjong. The one we did play recently is Rapidough, great fun after few wines making rude things from playdough.:xgrin:

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Settlers is quite different to Carcassonne. Although there is initial tile (hex) placement, from then on the game is about gaining/using resources to build roads/settlements/cities - by dice rolling and by trading. Because of the trading element, Settlers is really only enjoyable with 3 or more players - but there is a very good card version of the game for just 2 players called The Rivals for Catan.

Have played Pandemic a few times - a fellow Funster has the game and we play it when we meet up. :Smile:

Have not played 7 Wonders tho' would be keen to try it. About a year ago we did have a Funster Board Game Meet for a weekend at a pub on the River Severn. We parked up in the pub car park for £4-5 pound a night and played various board games in the pub. If you're interested (and a few others!) maybe we could try the same thing again sometime ........

Thanks will try and get the settlers one next. :)
7 wonders is card based and is played quite quickly within 30mins and several add ons make it quite complex. Not good if you have had a few drinks though :) and trying to grapple with new rules :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
A game we haven't got but that we enjoyed playing was "Agricola", another strategy game.

For unusual games this company is good:

http://www.cheapass.com/games

Some of the Amazon resellers also have games from this company with the added bonus they are UK based.

"Unexploded Cow" is one of our favourites but we haven't played for a while. When you do buy games from this company the play money, dice, counters etc are not included. That is how they keep the costs down and you probably have dice anyway.

EDIT: Just read on Amazon that dice etc are now included in the newer games :)

Last edited:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi John, this thread already REALLY long when I have spotted it so apologies if this already gone before... if you REALLLLLLLY still need ideas the best person to pm and ask her to post here is Maz.

She runs Games Weekends in the motorhome and is a fanatic ... and also very clever and difficult to beat. :)

One that sticks i my mind, if not already mentioned above, is Out of Africa.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My attention span is too short for board games I find.

I enjoy a game of cards though in the van, but not games that require any thought, because my wife beats me every time.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi John, this thread already REALLY long when I have spotted it so apologies if this already gone before... if you REALLLLLLLY still need ideas the best person to pm and ask her to post here is Maz.

She runs Games Weekends in the motorhome and is a fanatic ... and also very clever and difficult to beat. :)

One that sticks i my mind, if not already mentioned above, is Out of Africa.

Just took a gander and it is £35 ! Thats half a tank of diesel !!

Being a tight wad I do not mind paying up to £10 or £12 for a game but anything more than that.. nahhhh !!! :xwink:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
My attention span is too short for board games I find.

I enjoy a game of cards though in the van, but not games that require any thought, because my wife beats me every time.
Tother way round for us.
Mo loves card games but I find they get tedious after a while.. This is why it is hard to find a game we both enjoy.

Ludo is about as strategic as Maureen gets !

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
When I was working in the lunchhour ... no re word that ... When I was working, ... well, in the lunch hour we played a game with cards and I can't remember what it was called but should be easy to emulate.

It was like the card game where you have a run, or the same number (is it rummy, or poker) .. anyway the idea is to LOSE. sO same rules apply as the real game but you have to play to lose .. e.g. get rid of your good cards. It's harder than you think.. It may have been called Blind Man's bluff..

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
some card games require a few people one of our favouties for fan=mily nights is seven but with a pot of pennies shared out penny a knock till theres a winner

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Not a card/board game and has to be played on the move but it's hilarious to play.

It's called Cows

Every one in the vehicle puts 20p in the pot. The first person to correctly point out a cow wins the money. If you incorrectly identify a cow i.e. point out a horse, seagull, rock, lorry etc you are fined £1 which goes in the pot.

If you're travelling with a load of rugby players you can make a fortune!

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Another vote for Rummikub but also the computer version which you can download and which is ideal to practice on.
Another one is Mexican Trains.

Mike

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
We were poor a kids and our entertainment was watching our granny hoover her belly button... :xsurprised:

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
John Triominoes has been mention its a brill game ask JJ he loves playing Amanda and loosing to her LOL.
Qwirkle is a good game also the one Amanda loves is the one you have ordered Rummikub . She has said she will play you and Maureen any time :)

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
One of our favorites and is ideal for two players Mastermind, its the one game I stand a chance of winning

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back