Gambler or just stupid?? A newbies start to MH'ing (1 Viewer)

SaschandGin

Free Member
Mar 10, 2012
Halifax, UK
Funster No
MH
Class A
Exp
Feb 12
My wife and I have just bought a MH but get this....
- We have never seen it,
- It is in Spain at the moment,
- And it was a "bargain"!!!

Now either we will have pie in our faces when everything goes wrong (like they send us a matchbox van :RollEyes:) or we will have a great start to our new adventures as MH functors!!!:Cool:

I am doing everything through Ebay, so at least we have a little bit of a fall back (although how far that would go we will (hopefully NOT) have to see!):winky:

Now the bonus is that we have a copy of his passport (IF it is his:Confused:) but the saving grace is that once we receive the delivery we have 7 days to check it out etc.. and if we are not happy then we send it back- if we are happy then we release the money through Ebay.:pray:

Well, we will inform you all on the 12 May when it is supposed to arrive (a day after we get back from South Africa). All fingers crossed that this will be a GOOD start to having fun!!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I was (insert your own words) enough !

Did deal on my terms with no payment at risk till it was delivered to me and i was happy with MH & all details about it. The same MH`s on e-bay were a lot higher mileage and £4k & £5k more expensive so not a bad result eh !

Well you didnt really buy it unseen then did you as you say no payment til you where happy. I bought mine off ebay asked the guy how much he wanted for buy it now drove 200 miles to see it and made him an offer.

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
stupid me thinks

must admit i did have to check the dates ( 1st April)! if you do work in Saudi i assume its not for peanuts and can afford to pay a bit more for a totally legit van. Perhaps you're the scammer testing the waters ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

kex66

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
must admit i did have to check the dates ( 1st April)! if you do work in Saudi i assume its not for peanuts and can afford to pay a bit more for a totally legit van. Perhaps you're the scammer testing the waters ?

The plot thickens :whatthe:

If nothing else, this has been a very entertaining thread:thumb:

Upvote 0

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
Interesting to find out who registered ebaymotorstrade.co.uk which was the address provided ....

Click on this link for Nominet UK details ...
Broken Link Removed

Does not look like ebay ::bigsmile:

Cheers

Upvote 0

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
May I suggest that you make a list of what type of van you are looking for.

You know,,

Type
Berth
Make
Class
Fixed bed etc
U shaped lounge.

You get my drift, once you have made a list post it on here and you will be surprised how many funsters will search high and low to find you some potential vans.. Look at Sundance, he must have had 100's and he still bought a Burstner....

Seriously, tell us what you want and we will do our best.

When I wanted to change, I saw one for sale in Devon, I told Old Mo and he drove there, took loads of pics, tested the van with his damp meter and gave me his opinion....

There are some really great people on here..

Good luck with your quest and if you are not sure... ASK

Upvote 0

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Getting into cars with strange men!

At least you could see the van, so the dangerous part was hopping into cars with strange men::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Quite obvious it was a scam from the wording of the emails. Nobody from Hanley or for that matter anywhere in the UK writes in broken English unless its there second language.
Regarding buying unseen from ebay, I don't see any problems with this as long as you keep your wits about you. The van I own now was bought from ebay unseen and in Spain. It was what I wanted and at the right price, so I was of the opinion that if it wasn't what the seller said it was its cost me the price of a return flight to Spain. As it happend it was more than the vendor described so paid cash and drove it home. Its not long returned from a trip around North Africa with no problems and have refused profit on it twice. My buggy was bought off ebay unseen whilst I was in Morocco with no problems. My last 2 boats were bought unseen from ebay also. There is no problem buying unseen from ebay as long as you are prepared to put yourself out a bit,keep your wits about you and don't part with a penny till you pick the item up. Many high value items are bought and sold on ebay every second.

Upvote 0

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
I also just had a thought, he may have been a member of MHfun?? Anyone heard of a Brian Harold Egginton Born Feb 48 from Hanley???:Eeek:

He may be reading these posts :ROFLMAO::Doh: opp5

Only a newbie and already causing chaos :cry:

Brian H Egginton Born March 1948 in Stoke (9b 868)

Mothers maiden name Forrester.

Upvote 0

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Just what i thought, ground testing ,had some thing simular a few years ago,i walked away from the scam deal, beware, if it sounds to good to be true ``IT IS´´ Cheers Alf:whatthe:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SaschandGin

Free Member
Mar 10, 2012
Halifax, UK
Funster No
MH
Class A
Exp
Feb 12
Just in case anyone is interested, there are a couple of ways of dealing with this (legally ::bigsmile:) which I got from the Ebay crew;

If you'd like advice on your consumer rights, you can contact the free Government advice line Consumer Direct on 08454 04 05 06.

For advice from the Metropolitan Police about Internet fraud and for information about how to contact your local station, go to:

I hope that everyone has enjoyed this thread :RollEyes::thumb: and I am sure we will not live this down (at least we never lost anything). And (without making excuses) since we have only been MH'ing once and loved it we are one of the very few real newbies who got carried away with the glitter of owning a MH. Hopefully we will all meet up and have a laugh while we own a real and legit MH ::bigsmile::Smile:

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
oh you are not the first to get carried away

Just in case anyone is interested, there are a couple of ways of dealing with this (legally ::bigsmile:) which I got from the Ebay crew;

If you'd like advice on your consumer rights, you can contact the free Government advice line Consumer Direct on 08454 04 05 06.

For advice from the Metropolitan Police about Internet fraud and for information about how to contact your local station, go to:

I hope that everyone has enjoyed this thread :RollEyes::thumb: and I am sure we will not live this down (at least we never lost anything). And (without making excuses) since we have only been MH'ing once and loved it we are one of the very few real newbies who got carried away with the glitter of owning a MH. Hopefully we will all meet up and have a laugh while we own a real and legit MH ::bigsmile::Smile:

You are not the first to get carried away, I know of a few on this site that can match you in those claims of being carried away.

People that buy motor homes that are to long for the drive, or buy at a show and pay a deposit and then realise that they do not have a licence that allows them to drive that size. The list goes on.. but I have to be careful otherwise I might embarrass some of the MHF members when they work out it is them that i am talking about... one of dozen I am sorry to say...

Need to take the rose coloured glasses off sometimes.. but they do not.

Lets hope you get your motor home soon and start to enjoy it.. once you have found the right one (not the cheapest) ...we might see you at a show.

Bob:thumb:

Upvote 0

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F

im sure your not the first and unfortunately you probably wont be the last,but its great news that you did not lose anything.and now that your feet are once again firmly on the ground,enjoy your time hunting for your new motorhome and when you do find it enjoy your travels:Cool::thumb:
regards brian jo and josh

Upvote 0

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Boy you are brave.. I have used ebay for 11 years, I would never dream of buying an motor home in Spain...

Hope it is real and not a con.

Bob:Sad:

Excuse me!!!!!! I live/ have a Spanish mh and one day will sell it. Tar brush comes to mind. But I am sure you didn't mean mine......well I hope not :)

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
As usual! GOOD:thumb: SOUND:thumb: Advise from the Fellas on this Forum:thumb:

Bloody Magic aren't they?::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
bit out of context I think

Excuse me!!!!!! I live/ have a Spanish mh and one day will sell it. Tar brush comes to mind. But I am sure you didn't mean mine......well I hope not :)

Bit out of context I think...... clearly a lot of us could see this was a con and the post was in relationship to the original post... but always someone that has to pick holes...

Well we know now he has not been had by this con merchant... does n to matter if it was in Spain, france or Italy or even Portugal ... clear it was an iffy ebay based con we had seen before.

I am sorry if my remarks offended you.. but on here you had better get use to it as I call it as I see it.

Rather save a member grief than think about the words that can be taken wrongly...sorry

Bob:Angry:

Upvote 0

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Bit out of context I think...... clearly a lot of us could see this was a con and the post was in relationship to the original post... but always someone that has to pick holes...

Well we know now he has not been had by this con merchant... does n to matter if it was in Spain, france or Italy or even Portugal ... clear it was an iffy ebay based con we had seen before.

I am sorry if my remarks offended you.. but on here you had better get use to it as I call it as I see it.

Rather save a member grief than think about the words that can be taken wrongly...sorry

Bob:Angry:

No its me that's sorry, the smile at the end of my message was to show that I was pulling your leg, so if anybody was miss understood it was me!

The bottom line is (like buying anything expensive) don't part with a penny until you have seen it, Ebay, Preloved or your local paper.

I bought my MH in Spain....but it was 600 miles away from my house, phoned, drove, looked, paid! Job done.

One day we will meet Bob and I hope have a Coffee ;-)

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Do not try and pull the left leg will you!

No its me that's sorry, the smile at the end of my message was to show that I was pulling your leg, so if anybody was miss understood it was me!

The bottom line is (like buying anything expensive) don't part with a penny until you have seen it, Ebay, Preloved or your local paper.

I bought my MH in Spain....but it was 600 miles away from my house, phoned, drove, looked, paid! Job done.

One day we will meet Bob and I hope have a Coffee ;-)

OK... do not try pulling the left leg will you.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

If you knew me you would know I have one leg.. with a big St Bernard and a retired lawyer.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I fight very hard like a lot of others to make sure members do not get ripped off.

But your words are correct check, re check and double check.. never take anything at face value.. count the wheels.:Blush:

Bob

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SaschandGin

Free Member
Mar 10, 2012
Halifax, UK
Funster No
MH
Class A
Exp
Feb 12
No worries on my side, I have big enough shoulders to have people taking the mick.

Now the only thing which has stumped me is do I inform the police or tell this "Brian" that I know his game or just ignore it (unfortunately he has my address but don'e think that is a problem). He is waiting for a reply to get the van sent on it's way. Maybe I should send him the link which one of the functors sent me with scams on it and tell him that I have changed my mind!?!?

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Why not string him along for as long as possible...

Say you would rather pay in cash to get it over and done with (say you have some under the bed wink, wink)... and if he gives you his address and meets you there you (or a friend) can hand it over... :winky:

There must be many other ideas/suggestions...

JJ :Cool:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SaschandGin

Free Member
Mar 10, 2012
Halifax, UK
Funster No
MH
Class A
Exp
Feb 12
Managed to get his contact details (if they are real);

Nou de Zurbano 3
Barcelona 08002
Spain
Phone number: 0034 954 286 115

I have just notified him that I am onto him and have kept all info (bank account details of his, IP address, etc..) so hopefully this will be the end. Unfortunately I am away today otherwise I would have loved to continue this and meet up with him :winky:

Thanks again to all for your help, at least there are still a lot of good people around in this world.

:thanks2:

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Managed to get his contact details (if they are real);

Nou de Zurbano 3
Barcelona 08002
Spain
Phone number: 0034 954 286 115

Real address... but wrong phone number :roflmto:

anyway, good luck on your RSA trip.. lived there for six years :Smile:

Café Royale
Carrer Nou de Zurbano, 3, 08002 Barcelona, Spain
+34 934 12 14 33

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Nou+de+Zurbano+3+Barcelona+08002+Spain&hl=en&ll=41.379694,2.175349&spn=0.00102,0.001993&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=35.273162,65.302734&t=h&hq=Nou+de+Zurbano+3&hnear=08002+Barcelona,+Province+of+Barcelona,+Catalonia,+Spain&z=19&layer=c&cbll=41.379694,2.175349&panoid=Puz15TDP_OwUdK7K1TpXug&cbp=12,136.64,,0,0

Upvote 0

color4501

Free Member
Jan 17, 2012
Powys
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
"I'm a newbie"
This sounds very much like the same one as I looked at although the he advertised it as a 6 berth and I only just spotted the error in time. If I remember correctly he requires about half the cost of shipping it to. UK from Barcelona?. The first set of pictures he put on e bay were for a 6 berth and then when I asked for more pics they were for a 4 berth.That was in Feb of this year. Please b very careful.

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I suspect this guy is neither in Barcelona or Seville.

Lagos possibly:shout:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SaschandGin

Free Member
Mar 10, 2012
Halifax, UK
Funster No
MH
Class A
Exp
Feb 12
This sounds very much like the same one as I looked at although the he advertised it as a 6 berth and I only just spotted the error in time. If I remember correctly he requires about half the cost of shipping it to. UK from Barcelona?. The first set of pictures he put on e bay were for a 6 berth and then when I asked for more pics they were for a 4 berth.That was in Feb of this year. Please b very careful.

If you see this ad on EBay again then let me know or else I will post the email address from EBay who look into scams etc

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back