Free Member
Oct 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Bursner lyseo
Exp
Since2015
Hi,

I think the site referred to above is called Auchenlarie it's 2 mins away from Laggan.
If anyone needs any info on places to wild camp in D&G or South Ayrshire please don't hesitate to ask

Any advice on those areas would be very helpful re wild camping

YorkieT

Free Member
Mar 14, 2018
Funster No
Any advice on those areas would be very helpful re wild camping

If you send me a PM stating the places you intend to visit I will do my best to suggest areas that are suitable for wild camping

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
On the road from Newton Stewart to New Galloway there are loads of places to stop. Also, in past Glentrool towards Bruce's Stone, though nearer the stone is a weight restricted bridge. We often spend a night in the hills.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
On the road from Newton Stewart to New Galloway there are loads of places to stop. Also, in past Glentrool towards Bruce's Stone, though nearer the stone is a weight restricted bridge. We often spend a night in the hills.

There's a road to Glen Trool visitors centre from Minnigaff (just north of Newton Stewart) that doesn't have any weight restrictions.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Correct, but once past the visitor centre the road goes on to Bruces Stone. There is another, very narrow, bridge with a weight restriction. Before that there are a couple of places to park up.

emo

Free Member
Oct 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Bursner lyseo
Exp
Since2015
If you send me a PM stating the places you intend to visit I will do my best to suggest areas that are suitable for wild camping
That’s great will pm you as soon as we sort a route out ,we are hoping to see around the Trossacks and loch lomand ,middle May,then going further north before comind back down to D&G +S Ayrshire.We are going to the Dumfries rally at the air field.So around 4 weeks + in total Any info will be appreciated.

emo

Free Member
Oct 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Bursner lyseo
Exp
Since2015
Dumfries will be the end of our trip going for a couple of weeks there.See you at the rally.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I'll be back home tomorrow, once you have a rough idea of where and what you want then pm me and I'll sort you out. See you both in Dumfries

Apr 20, 2016
Donny
Funster No
MH
Toyota convertion
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks all who added to this thread.

We’ve just come back from the Galloway Forest - stunning!!! I wanted to visit after reading this thread and then doing a little bit of research. We were hoping to wild camp at Otters Pool but there was a sign that said we couldn’t stay overnight :-( pinned to the toilet block.....so we moved onto a place that didn’t have a sign

Happy days

Attachments

• C5133A72-084F-499F-AEDB-EAF428B8A499.jpeg
    C5133A72-084F-499F-AEDB-EAF428B8A499.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 36

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Thanks all who added to this thread.

We’ve just come back from the Galloway Forest - stunning!!! I wanted to visit after reading this thread and then doing a little bit of research. We were hoping to wild camp at Otters Pool but there was a sign that said we couldn’t stay overnight :-( pinned to the toilet block.....so we moved onto a place that didn’t have a sign

Happy days

Glad you enjoyed your stay.
The Galloway forest area as well as the Dumfries & Galloway area are true undiscovered gems.
The forestry commission who run "The Raiders Road" always quote that overnight parking is not permitted. We've never had any trouble in overnight parking there & its a wonderful place to star gaze, but as with any wild camp we should always be prepared to move along if asked with no quibble.
As motorhomer's we've been lucky in that no-one appears to have abused the area & as long as we all employ the countryside code to leave it as we found it (or better) then hopefully we can still enjoy the privilege.

Hurry back.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I'd recommend "The Raiders Road" to anyone, the otter pool is a wonderful spot to wild camp, there's even a toilet block & its smack bang in the middle of Britains first designated dark skies area, the view of the stars on a clear night is mind boggling.

Glad you enjoyed visiting our part of the world, please hurry back.
You should be telling them how rubbish it is and keeping them away I have fund lodes of wilding spots up the certainly not sharing them with any one
BILL

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Glad you enjoyed your stay.
The Galloway forest area as well as the Dumfries & Galloway area are true undiscovered gems.
The forestry commission who run "The Raiders Road" always quote that overnight parking is not permitted. We've never had any trouble in overnight parking there & its a wonderful place to star gaze, but as with any wild camp we should always be prepared to move along if asked with no quibble.
As motorhomer's we've been lucky in that no-one appears to have abused the area & as long as we all employ the countryside code to leave it as we found it (or better) then hopefully we can still enjoy the privilege.

Hurry back.
I did not advertise it on her but we were told by a ranger last year that we will be moved on if we camped there was big problem last year with litter and wild campers.
we ended up parking in the layby over looking the loch
were on our way to Scotland this week and once I have visited my sister were thinking abut a few day's in the forest
bill

emo

Free Member
Oct 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Bursner lyseo
Exp
Since2015
Paul I'm a Glaswegian living in Dumfries, I keep telling the folk on here when they cross the border turn left and you will find every thing Scotland has to offer. Only difference being its a lot quieter and cheaper than tourist hotspots.

If your ever looking for wildcamping spots let me know.
Hi Gerry
We are coming to your rally in June,but before you get to you we would love to tour around the area.
We are coming up to Scotland middle May,would love some advise on where to stay in the D&G area + others if possible.
Pat &Dave You can pm me if needed

emo

Free Member
Oct 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Bursner lyseo
Exp
Since2015
Hi have tried to pm you re above doesn’t seem to work

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Gerry
We are coming to your rally in June,but before you get to you we would love to tour around the area.
We are coming up to Scotland middle May,would love some advise on where to stay in the D&G area + others if possible.
Pat &Dave You can pm me if needed

Hi Pat & Dave, clicked on your profile to pm you and it doesn't give option to start conversation. Have you changed something in your settings, if you could try to pm me then I may be able to reply

emo

Free Member
Oct 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Bursner lyseo
Exp
Since2015
Ok will have a look thanks

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
We toured around D&G for 2-3 days a couple of months ago and again for 3-4 days a few weeks ago . Weather was at its worst the last trip ,so we stayed at areas with roads getting cleared continually.....Glencaple , sweetheart abbey , Caerlaverock . Had a thoroughly relaxing time in the area .

We couldnt find the payment honesty box at Glencaple . The guy in the little shop next to the motorhome parking area told us that a visitor actually stole not just the contents of the payment honesty box , but even nicked the box. Not a motorhomer by the way , the thieves were in a caravan . CCTV registered the theft . Police involvement and the caravan owner was traced and shop owner thinks they were charged.........Low life rubbish stealing that box.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back