LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Anyone got the galaxy note?
It is smaller than a tablet and bigger than a phone with a 5.3 screen and running android.
I have had a look at some reviews but would be grateful for some info on here if anyone owns one?
Tez is going to inherit my galaxy s2 as he now likes a bigger screen than the desire which he inherited from me as well, he hated the smart phones as he has a condition which makes him shake called essential tremors and he cannot hold his finger steady enough on a smaller screen to get any sense out of it but he is slowly getting used to the versatility of a smart phone.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Oh yeah!!!!:Smile:
typing this on it now::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Stonking piece of kit, and although it looks big, certainly doesnt feel like it....apart from making calls....when the size does hit home. Its very light for its size and its lighter than the htc desire i had before

The screen is absolutely amazing, great for browsing, vids etc
And the camera is...incredible.

Spent the last week trying to fill it up with apps..gave up:Eeek:

Some very usefull things it can do..output hdmi to a tv, connect it to a cannon dslr and fully control it, connect external hardrive very usefull with the hdmi outputl(all need some extra adapters)

Pen is great especially when used with photo editng (proper ones:thumb)

Copilot is brilliant on it

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Oh yeah!!!!:Smile:
typing this on it now::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Stonking piece of kit, and although it looks big, certainly doesnt feel like it....apart from making calls....when the size does hit home. Its very light for its size and its lighter than the htc desire i had before

The screen is absolutely amazing, great for browsing, vids etc
And the camera is...incredible.

Spent the last week trying to fill it up with apps..gave up:Eeek:

Some very usefull things it can do..output hdmi to a tv, connect it to a cannon dslr and fully control it, connect external hardrive very usefull with the hdmi outputl(all need some extra adapters)

Pen is great especially when used with photo editng (proper ones:thumb)

Copilot is brilliant on it

Has it got a small hook like thing you can attach a cord to bit like a camera?
To put your hand through to stop it falling out of your hand, My galaxy s2 has one and I use it to put my hand through in case the phone falls out of my hand while taking photo's from a boat or something where if I were to drop it I would never get it back.
Cant find it on any of the reviews nor from samsung website.

Also does co pilot have to be paid for or is it free on that?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
No hook im afraid, not on thr phone itself, but ive seen a few cases on ebay that do have then
Copilot is a paid for app...but i wouldnt be without it now, full eur map and custom pois(aires etc)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
As a phone/camera/tablet PC combination it strikes me it does all of these things much worse than having separate items, less to carry I suppose.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
As a phone/camera/tablet PC combination it strikes me it does all of these things much worse than having separate items, less to carry I suppose.

Not so...the opposite is true in my view and experience

Ok as a phone its a little awkward because of its size, but its a none issue after a couple of times of doing it..especially when you hear how clear the calls are...noise cancelling mics are great!:thumb:

and as for the rest...well....All comes down to what you use them for - i dont really use smart phones as phones as such, With this one i can use it as.....
a full off net satnav
Email, messaging, web browsing, ebook reader, facebook etc, Video calls with skype (with its front facing camera)
standalone 8mp camera with HDR and Panoramic etc built in, photo editor - proper ones that do much of what adobe Photoshop elements, picassa etc does, Extension to my DSLR live view screen with full control of the camera...great for them macro or low angle shots!
A sketch pad - in pencil, crayon, paint effects etc, note taker in meetings or on the fly reminders - written with a pen as well as typed
Watching HD videos - on screen or on a HD TV(the amount of memory this thing has, with an extra 32gb memory card, has enabled me to load up 20 films...in HD , avatar is awesome on this screen!), recording Full 1080p HD videos, watching Iplayer or ITV Player, youtube etc without having to get binos out!!
Playing music(loaded up 3000+ mp3s), listening to the radio - internet or proper
Working on spreadsheets, presentations, word docs, editing/annotating PDF docs, and sharing them with the team through the cloud or just printing them wirelesley
Messing about with loads of daft programs and the like...making cartoons or postcards (that can be sent from the phone and get delivered by a postie!!)
Playing games - either on it or connect it to a TV and play them with a Bluetooth keyboard (can also use this to control vids etc too)
Use it as a wifi hotspot...what for i havent worked out yet...dont need anything else connected :winky:

oh....and making the odd phone call:Cool:

And thats about as much as ive worked out so far, in a week....not bad for something that slips into your pocket...:clap:

Ok it will never replace any of these other gadgets completely - assuming you use these other gadgets to their full anyway - Im picky as hell when it comes to gadgets...they have got to work for me, not be something thats just nice to look at or are a 'label' and all that...this ticks all of my boxes...nothing else comes close to what i want/need in a portable gadet

So from my viewpoint...if you want a phone...get a phone, camera...get a camera, tablet get one of those too - but if you want something that does them all, and a load of other stuff, and well, and fits in your pocket...you wont go far wrong with the Note

PS battery life is incredible as well...8hrs on one charge with a video playing on a loop(my own test)!!...one tech website got 9hrs:Eeek:, in day to day use...2 days easy!:Eeek:

PPS - the dual core 1.4ghz processor dont 'arf make it zip along as well...and the next version of android will be sent out to them in a few weeks aswell...making them even faster!

PPS - would you think im happy with this thing?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Not so...the opposite is true in my view and experience

Ok as a phone its a little awkward because of its size, but its a none issue after a couple of times of doing it..especially when you hear how clear the calls are...noise cancelling mics are great!:thumb:

and as for the rest...well....All comes down to what you use them for - i dont really use smart phones as phones as such, With this one i can use it as.....
a full off net satnav
Email, messaging, web browsing, ebook reader, facebook etc, Video calls with skype (with its front facing camera)
standalone 8mp camera with HDR and Panoramic etc built in, photo editor - proper ones that do much of what adobe Photoshop elements, picassa etc does, Extension to my DSLR live view screen with full control of the camera...great for them macro or low angle shots!
A sketch pad - in pencil, crayon, paint effects etc, note taker in meetings or on the fly reminders - written with a pen as well as typed
Watching HD videos - on screen or on a HD TV(the amount of memory this thing has, with an extra 32gb memory card, has enabled me to load up 20 films...in HD , avatar is awesome on this screen!), recording Full 1080p HD videos, watching Iplayer or ITV Player, youtube etc without having to get binos out!!
Playing music(loaded up 3000+ mp3s), listening to the radio - internet or proper
Working on spreadsheets, presentations, word docs, editing/annotating PDF docs, and sharing them with the team through the cloud or just printing them wirelesley
Messing about with loads of daft programs and the like...making cartoons or postcards (that can be sent from the phone and get delivered by a postie!!)
Playing games - either on it or connect it to a TV and play them with a Bluetooth keyboard (can also use this to control vids etc too)
Use it as a wifi hotspot...what for i havent worked out yet...dont need anything else connected :winky:

oh....and making the odd phone call:Cool:

And thats about as much as ive worked out so far, in a week....not bad for something that slips into your pocket...:clap:

Ok it will never replace any of these other gadgets completely - assuming you use these other gadgets to their full anyway - Im picky as hell when it comes to gadgets...they have got to work for me, not be something thats just nice to look at or are a 'label' and all that...this ticks all of my boxes...nothing else comes close to what i want/need in a portable gadet

So from my viewpoint...if you want a phone...get a phone, camera...get a camera, tablet get one of those too - but if you want something that does them all, and a load of other stuff, and well, and fits in your pocket...you wont go far wrong with the Note

PS battery life is incredible as well...8hrs on one charge with a video playing on a loop(my own test)!!...one tech website got 9hrs:Eeek:, in day to day use...2 days easy!:Eeek:

Glad you mentioned mi fi, I would use that to give Tez use of my internet.:thumb:
seems a brilliant piece of kit:Cool:
Thanks for the brilliant review:Smile:
And the suggestion of a case for the camera cord.::bigsmile:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Youre welcome::bigsmile:

its worth having a look on youtube...Searching for Samsung note - loads of vids showing off what it can do...ive tried quite a few of them now as well...im still finding stuff out though:whatthe:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back