68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Does anyone have any information on the windscreen fitted to my 2001 Galaxy 270. Obviously it is not from the Peugeot Boxer base vehicle. I have no problem with the vehicle at present but would like to know its part number, or what other vehicle it also fits to reduce the downtime should I suffer a broken windscreen. Seems to make sense to me to research this now rather than while stranded away from home. Has anyone had to change a windscreen?

OP
OP
68c

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks, I will give them a call.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Like most A Class screen it will be bespoke and you may have wait a few weeks for one. Another thing most insurers use Autoglass and they won't do A Class screens in Spain, France & Belgium you have to get back to the UK. Also illegal to drive with a cracked screen in Spain but never heard of anyone being stopped for it.

OP
OP
68c

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
You would have thought they would just use a larger van or bus windscreen rather than commisioning a special one. At the moment I am looking around the van to get an idea of what parts are readily available should the need arise. The flat sliding front windows could be replaced with perspex at a push or at least temporarily. The front section could be repaired using fibreglass, not easy but doable. The forward section running gear, engine and transmission is from the Peugeot Boxer, the rear axle and suspension by Alko. Parts I am having trouble locating are windscreen wiper arms and the plastic fairings around the mirror arms. The interior bits and pieces are fairly generic. A broken windscreen is one of those parts I cannot make or source easily. However, a look on the Autoglass website suggests they can supply, no idea of how long or how much. Be nice to know who makes it and what else it may fit. It is always easier to glean this sort of information at home with plenty of time rather than in extremis.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I am having trouble locating are windscreen wiper arms and the plastic fairings around the mirror arms.
The wiper arms will off a car or van but which one is anyone's guess, the mirror arms could either be a commercial one or bespoke.

I think you are worrying too much, just use it and worry about things when they break.

OP
OP
68c

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
You are probably right. I spoke to Hayes who kindly had a look on their system for the wiper arms, they are not available but he thought they may have been from a Renault car.

Feb 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Hi Just wondered if you managed to get a quote for your screen as we have just got a chip in ours which I was going to get fixed before it spread but wondered how much a new screen would be ????

OP
OP
68c

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
No, I gave up on it. I was trying to gather information for the future should I suffef a failure, it is my first A Class and was concerned should I need a replacement. On the Autoglass website they indicated .they could get a screen, I did not follow it up I am afraid..
Good luck with your screen, you may be able to get one of those chip repair companies to help.
Please keep this thread updated if you do have to have a new screen and where you got it from, part number etc.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have had two screens replaced by Autoglass on our 2015 Hymer A class. The second one was because the first one broke within a couple of days of it being fixed. I had not moved the motorhome during that period so it was fixed under the Autoglass guarantee.

During all of this I had a lot of discussions with insurers and Autoglass Head Office to make sure I got an genuine Hymer replacement.

One problem is that if your screen has holes through which the wipers protrude, like my Hymer, you need a different screen depending upon LHD or RHD, because the wipers are handed. That may be why Autoglass do not fit in Europe.

The windscreen for my RHD Hymer was readily available in the UK on a few days delivery, and it was OEM and marked with Hymer trademark. Autoglass HQ let slip in one phone call that for the whole job, including fitting, they were charging the insurer about £1,200.

pigdogs

Free Member
Jun 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Since 2015
PSV Glass are the people to talk to about getting a screen.

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Fair enough Peter but these windscreens are hard to source. They are not the standard A class screen. Auto glass may end up going to PVC for a screen. I think Pigdogs was merely pointing out where they can be sourced

pigdogs

Free Member
Jun 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Since 2015
I do have windscrean insurance through AIB and PSV glass sorted it out. They spoke to AIB and took the job on, it cost me £70 including new rubber.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Not is you have windscreen replacement insurance. You will usually be stuck with the company the insurers use, in our case Autoglass.
Autoglass were the designated supplier with our policy, however we insisted in having a genuine Rapido screen fitted rather than the bespoke one offered. It is marked Rapido but manufactured by St Gobain.
Cheers
Ed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back