G740C (1 Viewer)

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
We've just become happy owners of a 2016 G740C. It took a lot of soul searching to decide to change our lovely Bessacarr coach built low profile but as soon as we saw the Pilote we knew it was the van for us. It has been looked after incredibly well having only ever been used for 2 trips to Spain.

However, there are a couple of things that are not quite right and I was wondering if anyone could shed some advice?

The passenger door top lock rattles around a bit and doesn't seem to be pulling closed the whole way, meaning it can be pushed slightly from the inside. So, I was wondering if this is a common issue of readjustment being required perhaps?

Secondly, the fridge freezer cools and freezes great. However, it sounds like someone is moving stuff around in a cupboard and that noise is also heard from the vents outside?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks, Paul

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
Can't help with the fridge noise but the passenger door latches can be adjusted.

If you look at the door, on the left hand side of the frame you will see two black plastic covers where the latches are located.

Remove these covers by taking out the two pozi screws that are screwed into the inner wall. This reveals the latches and adjusting screws.

To adjust, DO NOT remove any of the cap head screw fixings (I know why not from experience!). There are two adjusting cap head screws in the door frame and one adjusting screw in the latch.

The door frame cap head screws allow you to move the latch plate up and down and the latch adjusting frame allows you to move the latch plate in and out.

It may well be the case that the latch plate also has one or two pozi screws that fix it to the inner wall which need to be removed to allow in and out adjustment. If its a new van these should be there, if second hand the may have been removed but are needed to keep the latch closed fully.

Start by loosening the top latch plate cap head screws with an allen key, but make sure the allen key is a tight fit as the cap screw heads are easily 'rounded (I changed all of the cap screws to A4 stainless ones available from Fleaybay). Move the latch plate inwards, tighten the cap screws and see if the door is tightly shut against the seals.

Repeat the above procedure until you are happy with the fit of the door. You may well have to also repeat the same procedure to the lower latch to get an even fit onto the door frame seal.

It takes a bit of time but the end result will be that you get a tight fitting for that does not rattle.

Once happy with the fit, replace latch securing screws to the inner wall and replace latch covers.

Do not adjust until you have to slam the door to shut as this only allows the latches to jump out of the catches when travelling. The door should shut with a firm push or pull if you have the adjustment correct.

To help closing, I found it a good idea to fit a grab handle on the inner door adjacent to the top latch (again available on Fleabay) and use this instead of the horizontal door handle below the passenger door window to close the passenger door from the inside.

Can't take photos as have just recently downsized the G740 to a sub 6 metre van.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Paulypaul
Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
Thank you so much for your detailed response, that's really helpful. I'll update once I get round to doing it.

Paul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
Just had a thought about the noise above the fridge.

I recall that the solar and tv factory pre pre wire cables are located behind a panel to the rear of the shelf in the cupboard above the fridge and may well not be tied up and as a result, could be rattling around? Also, the wiring loom to the rear runs behind this panel and again may need securing with cable ties and 'p' clips.

From memory, the rear panel can be taken out by by carefully removing the four plastic fixing covers (beige/brown coloured round things) which are near each corner of the rear panel looking from the front. These covers can be prised out with a thin plastic trim removal tool (or carefully with small screwdriver) as they locate into the panel furniture fixings with two pegs. Undo the pozi screws in each of the nylon furniture fixings (revealed by removing the plastic covers) and make sure to remove these screws fully before attempting to move the panel as this avoids scratching the cupboard side walls during removal and replacement.

Now you can pull the panel forward, gently at first just in case any cabling is attached to the panel, then you will be able to see what lurks behind and is possibly causing the noise.

Replacing the panel is the reverse of the removal method.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Paulypaul
Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
Just to update, I've adjusted the cab door with great success following the detailed instructions kindly given by Kraken. The allen head screws are useless so I have replaced them with stainless screws. Fortunately it was only the top latch that needed adjusting.

While on the subject, does anyone fit extra door locks to the cab door or is the fact that they have a top and bottom lock mean they are more secure than the orthadox single fiat door lock?

I haven't dealt with the noisey fridge but I suspect its the burner as I've also heard the ignitor click randomly as though the flame has gone out. I'm at a loss about what to do with this so its more research before I go any further with this.

So, once again, thank you so much for your help.

Paul

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
Paul, regarding the fridge, I had occasions on my G740C when the AES function didn't work automatically and the ignitor clicked randomly.

Firstly press the AES (AUTO) switch to change the fridge power. You will see the led indicators for Gas, Mains and Battery change each time you press the switch.Switch to gas and see what happens.

If this does not solve the problem, try fully powering down the fridge by the on/off button on the switch panel then restart the fridge using the same switch, then select gas manually through the AUTO button.

If this doesn't work then you may need to look at cleaning the burner.

Hope this helps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Paulypaul
Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
Paul, regarding the fridge, I had occasions on my G740C when the AES function didn't work automatically and the ignitor clicked randomly.

Firstly press the AES (AUTO) switch to change the fridge power. You will see the led indicators for Gas, Mains and Battery change each time you press the switch.Switch to gas and see what happens.

If this does not solve the problem, try fully powering down the fridge by the on/off button on the switch panel then restart the fridge using the same switch, then select gas manually through the AUTO button.

If this doesn't work then you may need to look at cleaning the burner.

Hope this helps.
Great! thanks so much for your help. I'll give that a go.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back