G7 protests in Basques territory (1 Viewer)

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Self explanatory really but could affect some of you folks (y)
8B8169CD-1415-46C5-8BF0-295603A24052.jpeg
8B8169CD-1415-46C5-8BF0-295603A24052.jpeg

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks! We're planning on driving from Biscarrosse area to Pamplona on 27th August....hopefully it'll all be over by then :oops:
We'd actually originally thought to visit Biarritz on the way past, but in the end decided to leave it for this year....good job really coz we totally missed that the G7 summit is going to be in Biarritz whilst we're in the area!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm not sure it's that self-explanatory. :) Most folk think Spain when they see the word Basque but it covers both sides of the border. That sign applies to the French Basque country I guess which will include up to the Spanish border.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Its not really clear from the leaflet what they are going to be protesting about (and I've not been able to find anything online either), my guess would be they're planning on interrupting the border traffic to highlight that the Basque country is currently split in two by the France-Spain border.

Baldeagle7470 is there anything on the back giving more info?

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Whatever the protest you can guarantee that 'rentathug' and the usual gang of anarchist parasites will also be in there having a pop at the police.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Finally found a few more things (all translations courtesy of Google ;)).....its not clear if there will be protests at the border, or whether its a precautionary measure just in case because the summit coincides with one of the busiest weekends for northbound traffic.

The Basque Government Traffic Directorate urges to avoid the passage of Biriatu from August 23 to 26 through the G7 summit in Biarritz and has activated an operational plan to deal with possible traffic conditions.

In a statement, the Security Department recalled that the G7 summit in Biarritz , scheduled for August 24, 25 and 26, coincides with the weekend with the highest number of vehicles, of about 30,000 per day, in the Summer return operation.

Among the measures adopted, informational signaling in service areas and roads of international traffic has been reinforced , 90,000 leaflets have been published in four languages and coordinated work is being carried out to ensure the flow of traffic and the safety of people are affected by this situation.

Likewise, the Traffic Department maintains an open channel to promptly inform the transport sector affected by heavy traffic restrictions. In addition, it is planned to reinforce the attention to the users through the information telephone 011 operative 24 hours.

The French authorities will intensify the security controls and, in addition to the usual restrictions of the return operation, they will apply, for the moment, additional ones for heavy transport, as stated by the Director of Traffic, Sonia Díaz de Corcuera.

For all these reasons, the Traffic Department has adopted a series of measures to urge all drivers to avoid entering Iparralde through Gipuzkoa between August 23 and 26.

The General Directorate of Traffic has informed the Spanish Confederation of Freight Transport ( CETM ) that the G7 summit, which will be held in Biarritz (France) from August 24 to 26, is likely to cause traffic stoppages and blockages in the posts borders of the Basque Country .

On the other hand, anti-G7 platforms have called a 'counter-summit' to hinder the meeting, which will take place in Irún from August 19 to 23, since they consider it as “an economic waste”, they point out from the transport organization. In addition, there will be a demonstration from Irún to Hendaye on August 24, "which will make it even more difficult to drive vehicles in that area," they warn.

From CETM they do not hesitate to move forward that they will keep their associates and companies in the sector informed in order to avoid the effect of these protests, while still calling for them to plan trips before the forecast of various blockages and retentions in The road during those dates. "Those who plan to move to the Gallic country should agree to avoid access to the Basque Country, " they point out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Baldeagle7470
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
I'm not sure it's that self-explanatory. :) Most folk think Spain when they see the word Basque but it covers both sides of the border. That sign applies to the French Basque country I guess which will include up to the Spanish border.
What I meant was the leaflet was legible for motorhomers to read.
It was given out to us at the first Spanish toll booth AFTER the border which makes me think it’s about the autonomy of the Spanish side eg Catalonia.
I have no further information but that,sure we may hear more and if I do will inform straight away.

OP
OP
Baldeagle7470
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Its not really clear from the leaflet what they are going to be protesting about (and I've not been able to find anything online either), my guess would be they're planning on interrupting the border traffic to highlight that the Basque country is currently split in two by the France-Spain border.

Baldeagle7470 is there anything on the back giving more info?

No afraid the back says the same as the front,sorry.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back