Future value of your motorhome (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Who would have predicted the way secondhand values have gone over the past few years. All our vehicles are in our savings spreadsheet as zero. Whatever happens to motorhome values I bet they still depreciate a lot slower than cars.

Aug 30, 2011
Gresham, North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544SL
Exp
12 years
I was thinking... maybe I could do away with the engine, suspension and front wheels and fit a fifth wheel coupling... then tow with a truck! Then again, I will be in my nineties by then so, maybe I'll not bother after all? :cool:

Mar 16, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Feb 2017
I think that Hydrogen will be the fuel of the future.
Also think that who say's 2035 ?????? Politicians ?
They will say anything that suits them, they pay lip service to whatever is in vogue.
How can you tell when a politician is lying.....................................................when they open their mouths.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Who would have predicted the way secondhand values have gone over the past few years. All our vehicles are in our savings spreadsheet as zero. Whatever happens to motorhome values I bet they still depreciate a lot slower than cars.

I took the same attitude to the value of my boat.

So when I gave it to a good friend(sailor and engineer, who gets it in my Will anyway) the balance sheet did not change.

Much the same with the MH, except if I am buying another I suppose I will take this MH's sale value into account.

Geoff

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I took the same attitude to the value of my boat.

So when I gave it to a good friend(sailor and engineer, who gets it in my Will anyway) the balance sheet did not change.

Much the same with the MH, except if I am buying another I suppose I will take this MH's sale value into account.

Geoff
Just looking at buying a boat I think I'll value that at zero too

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Yes. I know they're a bit out of fashion but there are 6 sigma 33s in Whitby I'm thinking of joining them.

Good boats, both they and the Sigma 36. They are a nice compromise between a comfortable family cruising boat and a OOD racer if you want that - are they are still racing as OOD?

Good luck with buying.

Geoff

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Anyone put any thought in to the future value of their diesel motorhome as the day approaches to have all electric on to the roads.
If we speculate that as leisure vehicles they may have a shelf life of 15 years to the government's target of 2035 then there must come a time when prospective purchasers of your van will place a value based on its usable time left.
Most of us have probably been happy with the low depreciation in times passed but presumably that will not continue. The question is when and how fast the values would fall considering they may all become static caravans from 2035.
When new electric motorhomes come to market would people not be willing to pay a premium to future proof their investment with a marked fall in diesel sales. Perhaps that's when values start to fall faster than usuall?
Many will have to consider if and when they change their method of leisure travel such as caravan and electric car if they want some financial return on their van.
We are thinking to keep our present van untill forced to make it a static and not plow any more money in to further purchases. For us this means our second hand purchase in 2017 for will depreciate to £00.000 over those 18 years to 2035 at a rate of £5,000 per year which equates to £100.00 per week.
It's not all doom and gloom as we will use it extensively over those years for many adventures and enjoy the memories and all travel and leisure activities come with a cost.
Is there a different outcome for our trusty diesel

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Hydrogen will be the replacement for Diesel engines no emissions at all and no battery to get rid of or exchange buses and lorries in Sweden are already running on hydrogen , JCB have built hydrogen diggers with great success same deisel engines modified to run on hydrogen , if the we're to make electric diggers they would weigh approx 3 ton heavier. With the added batteries and could not work 8 hours solid , hydrogen in motorhomes is the future replace diesel tank with hydrogen one , jobs done ,

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Hydrogen will be the replacement for Diesel engines no emissions at all and no battery to get rid of or exchange buses and lorries in Sweden are already running on hydrogen , JCB have built hydrogen diggers with great success same deisel engines modified to run on hydrogen , if the we're to make electric diggers they would weigh approx 3 ton heavier. With the added batteries and could not work 8 hours solid , hydrogen in motorhomes is the future replace diesel tank with hydrogen one , jobs done ,
But not in my lifetime or budget !! :( :( :(

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
It doesn't add that much to the value of the van as it uses existing desiel engine modified

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I posted some time ago that we would not be renewing our 2002 Rapido: it will slowly deteriorate and parts will become more expensive BUT in 10y time (or whatever) I will be disposing of a relatively worthless vehicle. I firmly believe that if I plow £60k into a new van then diesel prices plus environmental restrictions will allow it only a few extra years (although to my mind it would still represent £60k of investment when I dispose of it).

Several years ago I considered replacing it in order to get better fuel economy; currently qpprox 25mpg. The best I could hope for would be 40mpg (that I think is a lot of hope!) and the difference in costs over 10k miles pa is less than £1k: not significant. So all I would be gaining is something a bit "posher" with the added possibility in getting into cities with Environmental Zones (but parking would be just as difficult) and the cost of higher insurance premiums, warranty-required habitation checks etc to say nothing of all the niggling complaints that we read about with new vans.

So I'm also not renewing my grandfather rights: the van is only 3.5T. I can save those medical expenses as well.

Gordon
Hi Gordon
How do you renew Grandfather rights ?
Mitch

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Hi Gordon
How do you renew Grandfather rights ?
Mitch
It's just another phrase for keeping C1 on your licence: medical, a couple of forms and a few quid.
People who passed their test before 1997 had 7.5T capability automatically but need to renew them at age 70 - hence "grandfather"!

Gordon

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
It doesn't add that much to the value of the van as it uses existing desiel engine modified
So why is this not being pursued and put forward as an alternative to scrapping all ICE engined vehicles, and forcing everyone down the unsubstainable EV route. Or is it all about profits / money ???????????????????????
Just asking

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back