Future for diesel? (1 Viewer)

Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
With cities declaring that all diesel vehicles will be banned in only a few years what is the future for our vans?

I can't see electric as a solution as the range will be so small at the current state of the technology .
As far as I know hydrogen is still a technical problem
I suppose petrol is an alternative but not really "progress"

In the meantime if you spend £100k on a posh new motorhome now, will it be unsellable in 7 or 8 years time?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
With cities declaring that all diesel vehicles will be banned in only a few years what is the future for our vans?

I can't see electric as a solution as the range will be so small at the current state of the technology .
As far as I know hydrogen is still a technical problem
I suppose petrol is an alternative but not really "progress"

In the meantime if you spend £100k on a posh new motorhome now, will it be unsellable in 7 or 8 years time?
It will not be for a number of years yet......

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
As a new diesel moho owner, I am concerned. What seems like only a few major cities in Europe likely to bring in some sort of restrictions by 2025, 'governments' as we all know only tend to start to do things when its far too late and there is nothing to stop any city, town, village, or whatever from doing something in their own right far sooner than that. That may include bans, charges and restricted use of certain vehicles.

Various people will polish it over with sweeping nonsense statements but, the bottom line is far more serious. Health concerns, pollution of nature, crops, etc. etc.

No doubt as time goes on and concerns and protests grow, things in that respect will only gather pace and certainly not fade away.

There is not a lot we can do about it either-what will be, will be and cloth will have to be cut accordingly. Enjoy them while we can is my way.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I understand these decisions have been made at Mayoral level, but they are assuming that these stupid decisions will not see them ousted well before that time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
To be honest I cant think of a worst place I'd want to go to than a City, Most of our City dwelling friends want to get out, lots of places I would rather spend me dosh,so not too worried.(y)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
To be honest I cant think of a worst place I'd want to go to than a City, Most of our City dwelling friends want to get out, lots of places I would rather spend me dosh,so not too worried.(y)
Quite like Barcelona,,Cordoba,or Salamanca but much prefer the coast and countryside,,BUSBY,,

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Convert a ...Tank.... Multi fueled engines,all weather traction as standard and the best bit probably has an................ Anti Gassing kit fitted...result
Another plus is,in a narrow lane-street-viilage etc,all you need is a sign on the front...
"Coming Through!!"
For unimpeded progress.
Tea Bag

OP
OP
Manxcat
Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
Maybe I worded the original post badly . it seems as though the writing is on the wall for deisel in general. Politics seems to be saying that ithe has tk go.

Maybe I am wrong

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
In my opinion its just a passing phase, how are shops in the city centers going to get supplied, how will customers get there there are still a quite a few diesel buses around.
And once they find out that the direct injection petrol vehicles have real issues with particulate emissions far worse then the current euro 5 and 6 diesels, they will have a new target.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Its not many years ago when they were encouraging us to buy diesel cars,,now they are electricity mad but if we all went electric could they generate enough of it ,,,They are struggling now,,,Wind farms have not worked,,,what next,,,BUSBY,,

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Hi.
Convert a ...Tank.... Multi fueled engines,all weather traction as standard and the best bit probably has an................ Anti Gassing kit fitted...result
Another plus is,in a narrow lane-street-viilage etc,all you need is a sign on the front...
"Coming Through!!"
For unimpeded progress.
Tea Bag
Great idea but just remind me, how many gallons to the mile do they do. The upside is, CC wardens would become more helpful

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that agriculture and shipping are the biggest users of diesel and aircraft probably the biggest polluters. Banning diesel vehicles? Political point scoring and foot shooting!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Maybe I worded the original post badly . it seems as though the writing is on the wall for deisel in general. Politics seems to be saying that ithe has tk go.

Maybe I am wrong
Move here 85% of all vehicles sold have diesel engines.(y)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Move here 85% of all vehicles sold have diesel engines.(y)
The incentive out there is the huge difference in price of diesel as opposed to petrol i would think,,,Its the other way round to the UK and a much larger parity,,BUSBY,,

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I was wondering if they are worried about diesel and petrol, why not have a tweek at the fuel specs instead so that bad bits are blended out.. Remember the old diesel freezing to wax at the sign of deep frost. I used to keep a spare filter in my Golf as it was always doing it, they used to add petrol or paraffin to stop it or slow it. Then along came Anthea with the non waxing diesel fuel from Esso and then they all did it from then, surely the fuel companies can blend in a half way mix to cut emissions .

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Particulates are only one part of the problem and they can be controlled (not blended out though). The bigger problem is nitrous oxide emissions. They have nothing to do with the fuel and everything to do with the air fed to the engine. The engine needs oxygen to burn the fuel which is taken from the air fed to the engine. Unfortunately air is around 60% nitrogen which oxidises when it is heated by the combustion process to produce nitrous oxide. The more heat generated by the combustion process the more efficient the engine and the more NO is produced. Cool the combustion process (using EGR for example) and NO emissions are reduced - along with engine efficiency.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I thought Ad Blue was the solution to NO and DPF's the solution to the particulates?

To be honest I am not too concerned as it appears to be only going to affect cities with high population densities and massive traffic problems which are causing high polution.
For those cities, companies will set up distribution centres just outside the city and use small petrol, LPG or electric vehicles to deliver within the city.

If Diesel was banned totally I would be looking for an electric vehicle with a range of about 200 miles as that is about all I want to travel in a day. Failing that a Petrol/LPG dual fuel vehicle would be better.

I am not worrying about this though as I don't go into Cities any more. I even try to avoid towns where possible. Being a fulltimer though I have a few more choices than most people.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
A number of manufactures are producing vans to run on LPG from new not conversions. Time someone told the filling stations who are removing LPG from the forecourt.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

Maybe I am wrong

It's not so long ago petrol cars had to go and we were positively encouraged to buy diesels...

Diesel affects a relatively small amount of people in towns because of the particles emitted. Petrol cars were told bugger the whole planet... you choose ?

Or do they ? That is diesels put out the perticles ?

Most late diesels have DPFs or Diesel Particulate Filters. Our main car a late Toyota Rav4 registers Zero on emmisions the air coming out of the exhaustbis cleaner than when it was drawn in through the air filter.

So of course we pay no VED ? Err well no it's 235 quid as it's a big 4X4...

See where I'm going with this ? Governments across the world use the motorist as a cash cow. They come out with all sorts of frankly shite in order to drag in as much money from a group who have no choice but to pay.

Smoking and drinking have been reduced. So the massive revenues have dropped. So who is the easy target ?

Old Trump who is we are led to believe is nuts reckons that global warming is a natural phenomenon......Just like previous changes. The ice age for instance. Many top scientists agree entirely but no government will hear of it cos it kills the cash cow.

While we're on about cows.... 80% of the gasses said to bugger the ozone layer come from cows and other livestock in the form of methane gasses. They all fa......far................ Well they Fart a lot. STOP grinning at the back !!!!!!!

Some bunch of idiots from green parties are saying we should eat insects like grasshoppers Cricketd and stuff like that. Some countries do anyway . This would mean less animals less flatulence less damage to the ozone...

They can shove Cricket curry where the sun don't shine. If welll started eating them they would tax em anyway....

The lunatics in the shape of governments have taken over the asylum.. dum dum

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
It's not so long ago petrol cars had to go and we were positively encouraged to buy diesels...

Diesel affects a relatively small amount of people in towns because of the particles emitted. Petrol cars were told bugger the whole planet... you choose ?

Or do they ? That is diesels put out the perticles ?

Most late diesels have DPFs or Diesel Particulate Filters. Our main car a late Toyota Rav4 registers Zero on emmisions the air coming out of the exhaustbis cleaner than when it was drawn in through the air filter.

So of course we pay no VED ? Err well no it's 235 quid as it's a big 4X4...

See where I'm going with this ? Governments across the world use the motorist as a cash cow. They come out with all sorts of frankly shite in order to drag in as much money from a group who have no choice but to pay.

Smoking and drinking have been reduced. So the massive revenues have dropped. So who is the easy target ?

Old Trump who is we are led to believe is nuts reckons that global warming is a natural phenomenon......Just like previous changes. The ice age for instance. Many top scientists agree entirely but no government will hear of it cos it kills the cash cow.

While we're on about cows.... 80% of the gasses said to bugger the ozone layer come from cows and other livestock in the form of methane gasses. They all fa......far................ Well they Fart a lot. STOP grinning at the back !!!!!!!

Some bunch of idiots from green parties are saying we should eat insects like grasshoppers Cricketd and stuff like that. Some countries do anyway . This would mean less animals less flatulence less damage to the ozone...

They can shove Cricket curry where the sun don't shine. If welll started eating them they would tax em anyway....

The lunatics in the shape of governments have taken over the asylum.. dum dum

Simple answer, attach gas collecting tank to rear of every cow and when they come in for milking, de Gas them as well , sort of " save gas fart in a jar " then use the gas for transport (y)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Diesels have DPFs to remove particulates and I thought the idea of that blue stuff was to remove NO2. What removes the carcinogenic benzine from petrol, nothing, oh it was the government who insisted on putting it in so they could reduce lead.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Simple answer, attach gas collecting tank to rear of every cow and when they come in for milking, de Gas them as well , sort of " save gas fart in a jar " then use the gas for transport (y)

They are saying its their breath now,,,,When you think how many cattle i.e. Wildebeests bison zebra etc are roaming in Africa most pollution must come from there.BUSBY.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I was thinking about my perfect motorhome in a post diesel age. It would be a 4 wheel drive electric jobby. With a 200-300 Mile range on electrics. However it would also have a micro gas turbine running on LPG to recharge the batteries as a range extender. The weight saved on the Diesel engine and full fuel tank would be more than enough to have a decent load of Lithium Ion batteries. The saving on Diesel costs and the ability to recharge at campsites or whilst on the move would make it practical for me.

I saw this quite some time ago... But if you look at the gas turbine size, scale this up to 1KW it would fit under the van quite nicely to top up the battery charge. With regenerative braking to recover energy and this 1KW genny I think a much higher mileage would be possible whilst giving a similar weight for vehicle?

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
If it is the high temperature, within the engine, that converts the NO to NO2 , it will occur with all combustion engines - LPG included.

Gas turbines were tried back in the 60's but the exhaust gas temperature blistered the paint and melted the plastic on anything that got close.

Maybe we could use steam! I noticed the lid on the saucepan was lifting the other day......

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
If it is the high temperature, within the engine, that converts the NO to NO2 , it will occur with all combustion engines - LPG included.

Gas turbines were tried back in the 60's but the exhaust gas temperature blistered the paint and melted the plastic on anything that got close.

Maybe we could use steam! I noticed the lid on the saucepan was lifting the other day......

Now that is a brilliant idea,,surprised no one else has thought of that,,,BUSBY:D:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back