Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R A Class
Exp
10 years with hires, Newbie owner
I’ve just changed the solar controller on one of my panels from a basic pwm type to a Victron MPPT. There was an existing inline fuse in the +ve wire from the controller to the battery - which I discovered because it had blown (who knows how long ago!). The fuse was rated at 10A. I’m pretty certain the panel is 150w.

A couple of questions then:-

- Do I need the fuse now I have a quality controller regulating the current to the battery? (There is a fuse in the regulator too)
- if I do, what value should I use? (By my calculations 10A is a bit low)

Thanks a lot.

Chris

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Chris

Likewise a think 10a is a touch low, you should actually have a fuse at both ends in my view as if there was a short in the cable it is actually fed with power potentially from both ends.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I think, (never always a good idea), But if you are sure its 150W? then the theoretical Voltage at full output would be 15V? (assuming 10A fused.) Solar panels rarely produce their rated output. But a fuse would protect against spikes. BTW I often see in excess of 20Volts from the panel(s) (200W). Before the controller.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
- Do I need the fuse now I have a quality controller regulating the current to the battery? (There is a fuse in the regulator too)
- if I do, what value should I use? (By my calculations 10A is a bit low)
Any wire connected to a battery should have a fuse near the battery end. Its purpose is to protect against overheat/possible fire if there's damage to the wire and it shorts to itself or the metal bodywork.

Realistically the controller is very unlikely to output more than 10 amps with a 150W panel , so I would use the next size up which would be 15A.

Unlike batteries, solar panels do not generate large extra currents if they are shorted, so the fuse is not really for protecting the panels or the controller.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Also a fuse between panel and controller is useful as an easy way to isolate the panels. I use 30A circuit breakers which are even easier. Actually 3 of them one between panels and controller and two between batteries and controller one at each end.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I currently have a volt meter, wired to show the Output voltage from the Solar Panels. I often "see" 19 or 20 volts. and during recent "Sunshine" It was showing 24Volts at one point. I suspect the rated voltage to be 48V?. But as I did not buy nor fit them, that I cannot confirm. I have been contemplating swapping it for a Volt/Amp combination Read out.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I currently have a volt meter, wired to show the Output voltage from the Solar Panels. I often "see" 19 or 20 volts. and during recent "Sunshine" It was showing 24Volts at one point. I suspect the rated voltage to be 48V?. But as I did not buy nor fit them, that I cannot confirm. I have been contemplating swapping it for a Volt/Amp combination Read out.
I would think that the 24v is about the max of the panel and it would be showing when the batteries were full so very little demand to pull down the panel voltage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back