Jul 31, 2016
Berkeley, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner MaranoT580
Exp
Loving life and travelling with Jan
Morning funsters
We have visitors in our motorhome,(mouse) which was having a rest until Spring has sprung. Last year was a toe in the water with our new motorhome, and we are about to jump right in again this year!
Anyway, back to the little bugger, or buggers messing up our interior, so how did it
get in? The only way I can think of for access,was the battery charger cable which I attached to the battery for about 16 Hours, would that be the possible?
Anyone out there who has had a similar problem,and can point me to another possible entry point please? Jan would be very, very grateful as it is her worst nightmare as she has a fobia of mice, tippical luck!
Love the banter on these threads, and have learned so many things interesting things about motorhoming already, thank you everyone for your input, I love the Fun element of it all.
Also, we have a new motorhome site opened up close to us,and it's close to a small station, useful for access to Bristol, Bath and Gloucester, it is at Cam, Nr Dursley and just off the M5 motorway, not sure what it is called, but it must have a web site by now I would have thought, it is only small though so a call first I would suggest!
Have a great day
Paul and Jan

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Any hole more than 1/4" wide will allow access. The normal points of entry are gas-drop ventilation holes, over-large drain hose or cabling holes, or even the cab heater air intake.

xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89Âş North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
If you can get a pencil through a hole a mouse can get through it ! just caught 13 of the little blighters in my garage, destructive little fekers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Hi Hope the infestation isn't too bad, couple we met had to renew all upholstery an cushions and some of the electrical wiring.
We also had a problem with mice this year, they can get through any hole you could get a pencil through, so, cable inlets, some air vents, from where they were found ours came through where electric cables come into van from the battery.
We were lucky in that we check the van frequently in storage so they had not really taken a hold.
We used traps to catch them cleaned every surface with disinfectant and bought a battery operatid sonic mouse scarer.
Put your electrics on and check everything works, they love electrical wiring. We also need a new cadac bag as they chewed the one we had, it was only a few months old too.
Remove all food from the van, they ate John's digestives he wasn't happy, we now leave the cheese to go with them in the traps. We still leave one in the area where they got in as a precaution.
Wishing you all the best in sorting it out. Next winter take it out and use it or at least check it weekly.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Must be me. I had a thought this should be in the Belly Locker.
images (27).jpg

OP
OP
DAC and Jan
Jul 31, 2016
Berkeley, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner MaranoT580
Exp
Loving life and travelling with Jan
Thank you for the feedback, I must admit I never thought of mice being able to get in even, not alone leaving a trap in case of !!
Just off now to see if our little Marathon squares we used for bait have worked! well, chocolate,nuts and soft toffee?worked for us, we ate the rest of the packet anyway, I can recommend them, hopefully the mouse can't

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
@DAC There are lots of threads on mice infestations in MHs with lots of advice on how to get rid and avoid them if possible.
They don't like laundry squares ( that go in the tumble dryer.) so we spread them all over the van . Haven't had any in the van thank goodness.
I'm with Jan and hate mice it's called ' musophobia' can't even look when they are dead in traps.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
My biggest fear after having them too years ago.

When I took my mh for mot I asked them to look underneath and cover any teeny weeny hole with strong teeny weeny holed mesh. They did and been lucky inside .. however they also go in jour engine and do damage .. No way to stop them getting in there and from there via foot pedals into van. Look at the threads Anthea mentions and squirt squirt squirt lavender oil lavender air freshener lavender tumble dryer sheets lavender polish lavender disinfectant ..every few days .. good luck. :(

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Just kill them as quickly as possible with traps. Our mice in the van loved Dairy Milk chocolate. They were willing to die for it(y)

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
In our case chocolate cake worked well when they took up residence in my wellies stored in the garage. Shame really, that I had to terminate them, because they were very beautiful tiny field mice.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Cheese only really works in Disney cartoons :)
Peanut butter is the way to go - the little buggers just can't resist it. Works for rats too.
No way John would let me use HIS peanut butter, i hate it, we also used a snicker bar, perhaps cheese was best, only caught one after using that , not seen any signs since, may have gone to an establishment offering better fare.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I reckon Nutella is the best thing to bait traps with. Probably the best thing to do with Nutella, foul stuff:sicker: but the mice like it.
I always leave baited traps when the MH is not in use and have also got a German Marten repeller running off 12v.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Almond oil is supposed to repel meeeses, at home we have the best ever cure .... our cat.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back