Funsters Meet Up In Segovia!` (1 Viewer)

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
After 3 weeks of touring Portugal and Spain and seeing NO funsters we were delighted to meet up with some yesterday in Segovia. At the Alcazar we met Janie & Bob (and Izzy) who are on their way to Twin Lakes. Happily we had found overnight parking and they joined us there. Lots of reminiscences and Fun gossip. Very nice - enjoy the meet folks!! We'll catch up with others at Newbury on Friday!

Catherine & Shaughan

Deleted User
On our first visit to Spain with the caravan in 1997 we stopped on a site at Gargantilla de Lozoya north of Madrid and drove to Segovia over the Puerto de Navacerrada, we were surprised to see signs for ski lifts.

We stopped for a meal at a roadside restaurant with a sign for 'Horno de Lena', which we found later was a wood fired oven. We both had fish, because that was about all we could understand on the menu, a lady on the table next to us had a small but complete leg of lamb. I was drooling especially as our fish came without much in the way of embellishments, as is the Spanish custom, and then she left most of it !!

I cannot speak Spanish but I now have an extensive vocabulary regarding food and the ordering thereof :)

In Zaragoza today we had an excellent €13.50 menu( €9 was available ) including a bottle of wine and a bottle of water in a 3 star hotel restaurant a stones throw from the main Plaza. I had a risotto of cepes with langostinos and a ternasco ( roast lamb shank ) and an excellent chocolate concoction. This was extremely extravagant for us but ranked as one of the best value meals we have had anywhere, well presented and excellent quality.

Last day in Spain for a while over(under) the Somport tunnel into France tomorrow.

Sorry about the rambling, it was the talk of roast lamb that set me off :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Last day in Spain for a while over(under) the Somport tunnel into France tomorrow.
Sorry about the rambling, it was the talk of roast lamb that set me off :)

Know just what you mean matamoros! I've got Candido's cookery book and found the recipe in there so now always make roast lamb the Segovian way! Believe it or not the big secret is Lard! Good quality "Manteca Iberica"! Plus water in the bottom of the earthenware dish .... drooling now! :laughing:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
And we thought we were under the radar. :eek:

Nice seeing you again Catherine and meeting Shaughan. (y)

Entered France today :rolleyes: dull and cloudy until about 15.30. :groan:
On a campsite with 2 lines of washing, hopefully sunshine tomorrow. :LOL: Bob and Janie.

OP
OP
Viennese
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Hope you had time to taste the fantastic roast lamb which Segovia is so famous for? :inlove:
No we had the roast suckling pig! Have to say that I couldn't even touch the bit with the teeth!! Would have had the lamb but it must have been out of season as we didn't see it on any of the menus we looked at.
Now on board Cap Finistere and heading for Newbury tomorrow. The weather doesn't look too bad altho it was lashing down in Bilboa and very windy when we left.

Glad you got the washing done finally, Janie!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Now on a cold and damp site by the side of the Garonne near Marmande, I love suckling pig too but...............today has been a fasting day on my 5:2 diet:):)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back