Funsters Housesitting For Free Pitch? (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Suggested this elsewhere & rather than hijack that thread thought it should have its own thread as it gained a bit if interest!
We like the idea of house sitting (with the motorhome) as a way to get out & see a bit of the Europe & have adventures on a low budget. In the next year or two we need to start & get some references in the UK first as desirable locations are in high demand on existing websites. If anyone likes this idea perhaps we could start our own house sitting service between us for fellow Funsters, their friends & family?! Could really suit those full timing not just those that like the idea of a free base to explore an area. Don't have to have access to homes just parking, water, waste, possibly hook up & wi fi in return for watering plants, feeding/walking animals, cutting grass etc plus increased security. Just an idea as an informal arangement between us with no money involved. Having searched on the web there are some housesitters already doing this with considerable success as a lot of homeowners like the idea of only having to give limited access to their home but still have such a service.

Deleted User
Would be good for us, but unfortunately we don't have off street parking :(

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Great thread Wombles.

I would like to add us to the list of Funstes available to house sit.

We are available during the following dates
6th July to 13th August
24th August to the end of September
October - possibly but we may fly south!

Dora the motorhome is just under 7m long and would need to be accommodated somewhere safe and reasonably level. We have a little dog but as we would sleep and live in the van this would not be a problem for those not wanting dogs in their house.

I (Sandra) have many years experience working with horses, on Studs, hunting and showing yards, as well as having my own horses. I used to have my own chickens and a pet lamb at one time. Can even drive a tractor!

Colin is Mr Fix it - if it has an engine, moving parts, electrical bit, he's ya man.

We are sort of based in Leicestershire but will consider anywhere in the UK. If it's in the extremes i.e Cornwall, Scotland etc it would have to be for long enough to make it worth our while travelling

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

dappleduck

Free Member
May 14, 2015
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
toyota lightace
Exp
im a newbie
hmmmm good idea................also what about park in my garden,drive,land,spare space etc etc for nominal fee (which could go to charity) or exchange walking dog. washing car. cutting lawn etc. etc...........all have a good day..keep smiling..

dappleduck

Free Member
May 14, 2015
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
toyota lightace
Exp
im a newbie
hmmmm..........love to visit Whitby every now and again......for a few days............small campervan,,,DONT need elec,water,facilities...........just need safe haven at night...........gone thru the day exploring........... anyone have somewhere ......don't mind what...... keep smiling

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
hmmmm good idea................also what about park in my garden,drive,land,spare space etc etc for nominal fee (which could go to charity) or exchange walking dog. washing car. cutting lawn etc. etc...........all have a good day..keep smiling..
Exchanging favours (instead of housesitting in return for a free pitch) sounds like a good idea but could get complicated especially if money changes hands :unsure:. Maybe start another thread Dappleduck to explore this for those that might be interested?

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
WE usually have site sitters to keep an eye on the animals (Cows, horses and dogs) plus the garden/greenhouse etc when we take our annual holiday. Nothing arranged for next year yet if anyone is interested. There is ample parking, water, WC, and waste dump, excellent TV and phone reception but no EHU or wifi. We usually go for 3 weeks +/- a few days if anyone is interested please keep in touch

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
I (Sandra) have many years experience working with horses, on Studs, hunting and showing yards, as well as having my own horses. I used to have my own chickens and a pet lamb at one time. Can even drive a tractor!
way to much info there.............:whistle:

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
A really useful thread this @Wombles
Not something we need but a great idea non the less (y)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
WE usually have site sitters to keep an eye on the animals (Cows, horses and dogs) plus the garden/greenhouse etc when we take our annual holiday. Nothing arranged for next year yet if anyone is interested. There is ample parking, water, WC, and waste dump, excellent TV and phone reception but no EHU or wifi. We usually go for 3 weeks +/- a few days if anyone is interested please keep in touch
We might up for that Roger, a bit too early to say yet but let us know your dates when you know. Just what would be involved with the cows though :Eeek:, not milking them I hope?

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
no milking or feeding involved just keeping an eye on them. You could try milking them most are bullocks and will appreciate it, hee hee

Err, no that's OK!! I can do keeping an eye on them very well. Water, gates, fencing etc.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
I like this idea. (y) We've just been away in the van for 6 weeks and sometimes go away for longer - although a neighbor pops in every week to check on things and stack up mail it would have been nice to know that someone was there fulltime, especially if they would cut the lawns as well (!). Will keep my eye on this thread.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Good to hear that there's interest in this (y). Have looked at housesitting sites & they all seem to charge a fee to register. Reading on the web experience of housesitting seems to vary from being able to come & go as you wish just keeping an eye on a property, looking after pets, livestock & garden maintenance to not being able to leave the property for more than an hour or two a day or at all, finding that there are elderly relatives left to care for as well as the dog & volumes of work that look like slave labour! There is a company who charge a high fee for 24 hour guards who stay on clients property but in their motorhome - doubt the guards see much of the profits though. On the positive side also read about a housesitter who stays in her motorhome & is now is such demand that she can pick & choose where she goes!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I have heard of house sitting in Spain too when the owners need to be back in the UK.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Could certainly offer my services later in the year and next year, but only in the UK. Space for 6 mtr PVC would be required and willingness for me to bring my little dog.
I am self sufficient but access to water and waste disposal would be necessary if more than 3 days.
PM me if you require any further info. Have lived on a farm so have a little experience with livestock.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Now that does sound interesting.

My requirements would be for someone merely staying on site, (not in the house), with free use of EHU, water and Black and grey waste in total seclusion in the heart of the New Forest. That in itself would mean P1$$ poor internet coverage and poor if non existent TV coverage, but I imagine we could link the user up to our sky dish. The nearest pub is about 1.5 miles away with a superb menu and free WiFi. You would be parked up inside electrically operated gates (with code), so the deer and ponies do not defecate on your MoHo.

I have no idea when this would be, but would be for at least two weeks and longer if so desired by you the sitter.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Brilliant thread........... Perhaps one which Jim could do a forum list on.

So member`s could put their names down as willing to property sit..

And member`s could put names down to roughly where they live, who are likely to require this service..

Otherwise I can see this thread getting lost along the way, and people forgetting it`s there... :(

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Now that does sound interesting.

My requirements would be for someone merely staying on site, (not in the house), with free use of EHU, water and Black and grey waste in total seclusion in the heart of the New Forest. That in itself would mean P1$$ poor internet coverage and poor if non existent TV coverage, but I imagine we could link the user up to our sky dish. The nearest pub is about 1.5 miles away with a superb menu and free WiFi. You would be parked up inside electrically operated gates (with code), so the deer and ponies do not defecate on your MoHo.

I have no idea when this would be, but would be for at least two weeks and longer if so desired by you the sitter.
We'd certainly be up for that gig! Broken Link Removed
Ahem...
@Popeye , we'd love to house-sit for you while you're away in order to put your mind at rest. :)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Done a little "house sitting in France and Spain" - put us in the list of "ready to sit" MH owners. Can cover UK now until October then Spain until march 2016

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
@Popeye think you will have a queue for your desirable location - please add us to your list of possibles! We have 2 seperate weeks in August when our son has a course at Southampton Uni if you feel like a holiday :smiley:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Rita and I might be up for participation in such a scheme, pending dates required and availability. :)
We did look at the "security firm" type scheme, but didn't like some of their rules, including the one about a limit on the age of the applicant's MH. :( Those that know us, know that we look after our MH, which clearly does not show it's age, other than via the registration plate.

As well as an ex Firefighter of thirty years, I am also ex Forces and am both safety and security conscious. (y)

Cheers,

Jock.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Sounds good to me Popeye. Love the New Forest.

Ahem...
Broken Link Removed , we'd love to house-sit for you while you're away in order to put your mind at rest.

@Popeye think you will have a queue for your desirable location - please add us to your list of possibles! We have 2 seperate weeks in August when our son has a course at Southampton Uni if you feel like a holiday :smiley:

Well I suspect that this thread may well turn in to a real Gentle Well Loved Giant (not a Monster).

I will be going to the Bristol Balloon Festival then up to B'ham for three days and then across to Malvern.

As this was your thread wombles I would like to say please come down anyway, for the two weeks in August for your son and S'oton Uni, there is loads of room even if I'm home you'd be welcome, if the dates coincide with mine then even better. August 6th-18th inclusive.

Southampton is 12-15 mins away and The University 20-25 mins away, I know because I have a house near the Uni that I let out to the students there and my son studied there, hence the house purchase.

Salisbury is 15 mins to the North West of us, Fordingbridge 10 mins, Ringwood 20 mins, Romsey is about 20 mins away and of course Boscombe, Hengistbury Head, Poole and Bournemouth are all easy trips.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
@Popeye thank you for your very kind offer - true Funster spirit! Got my dates mixed up - our son will be on work placement at Bath Uni in August & courses at Southampton in July - a wonderful time for him but we are just support & a taxi service as he is still just 16. We will also be at both Bristol Balloon Rally & Malvern so wait for the stampede for your 6-18th August dates... Look forward to meeting you at the rallies & getting the inside story on the uni & area as it's one of our sons top choices at present :)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
it's one of our sons top choices at present

No surprise there then, the girls outnumber the guys by around 5:3, not that I'm suggesting anything here you understand, him being just 16 and all.

You are still welcome to use this address in July, you just let me know and I will arrange the cars so that you have free access.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back