Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
I have met funsters here and there, including a lady earlier this year at Pedro's who said, not any more they are to up their own arse's, oooh who upset her?
And today at portimao marina I've met two more couples, I thought this was a great chance for my hubby to meet these 'funsters'. It wasn't going to happen!!!! They were in their little clique?

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
I have met funsters here and there, including a lady earlier this year at Pedro's who said, not any more they are to up their own arse's, oooh who upset her?
And today at portimao marina I've met two more couples, I thought this was a great chance for my hubby to meet these 'funsters'. It wasn't going to happen!!!! They were in their little clique?

Not a particularly nice expression! As newbies, we haven't met any Funsters yet, but sure you had bad luck this time, same as in any social group of people, there will inevitably be the ones who are just happy with their own group of friends. Keep trying 'souix', don't give up. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well that is a shame, I was staying in a villa just across the water from Portimao and I bumped into one of the funsters in a local supermarket car park, I introduced myself and we got on really well. This couple were then joined by others who introduced themselves including one who'd had a difference of political opinion with myself only weeks before.

I bought him a beer and we had a rare afternoon rabbiting to one another. That's sad you had a different experience, wish I'd been there.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
people are people and will always mix with those they know first however I have found that those who attend rallies to be the most forthcoming of people that mix easily. We are all different some are shy, some exuberant some rich and some poor but I have always found a welcome wherever I have gone, I'm sorry you did not but don't give up we are not all the same.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Under what circumstances did you "meet" these Funsters?

Were they in the middle of doing something or, maybe, about to go off somewhere?

How did you know they were Funsters?

It would be odd if they had let it be known they were with Fun and then ignored a fellow Funster.

Did you get on ok with the other Funsters you "met here and there"?

(You weren't wearing a Man U*d shirt were you ;))

JJ :cool:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time

I find that a very sad post Souixy, I'm not the most outgoing fella in this world, but, I've found fellow Funsters to be a happy bunch, very forgiving at times, and, easy to get on with if you make the effort, they are a mad, crazy, friendly, odd, knowledgable, ready to leap in and help if they can, all in all, a throughly decent crowd of Funsters!

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi Houdini, we are in the New Forest most of the time and Port Solent at other times so we are Hampshire like yourself, we could form the Hampshire chapter of Hells-Funsters.........:laughing:

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Never found Funsters in general to be cliquey, but have found that cliques do occur on long term sites..
Not usually all Funsters in said cliques though.. The issue as I see it is simply that when folk stay in one place a length of time friendships ( and indeed dislikes ) tend to happen. It is easy to think a group is being cliquey when they are all mates and you feel the out sider..

Sue and Les ( Barsteward on here ) arrived at Zahora and for the first Friday they came down for tapas time sat alone.. They felt they would intrude on what is obviously a large group of folk who know each other.
As they got to know a few more folk that soon changed though !

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
What a pity indeed!
We met Funsters with JJ on a Spanish petrol station parking place where we had spent a very windy night. We had to go to Malaga airport where I had my plane back home.
They were coming back from Morocco, and within a second , knowing we were all funsters , we just had a good chat!
It was so unexpected to meet funsters on that parking place, it could only be a good sign!
I hope you'll be luckier next time as most funsters are really nice people (there will always be a black duck in the group ... I should add , a black duck to you...might be a white one to another one... just a question of being like minded people... you can't match with everyone can you?)

Wishing you the best for the coming trips!

Amicalement

Frankie:cool:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Houdini, we are in the New Forest most of the time and Port Solent at other times so we are Hampshire like yourself, we could form the Hampshire chapter of Hells-Funsters.........:laughing:

Hope that includes us from the south isle ( do we get pensioners rates now you are one or nearly) by the way I haven't got a mo/bike will my skate board do, so I can be in your gang (not las in gary glitter wanna be in your gang)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Cripes Mr Popeye... I didn't know you were in a place near Praia da Rocha...

We could all have come over to pick up water and do a bit of cassette emptying etc!

And that JJ is why you didn't know, I can't be doing with F L T's popping round any old time pushing my garden hose inside their thetford Cassettes. Anyway it was Ferragudo. (y)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well souix, next time, try chatting to me as I'll speak to anyone, Jeez I even speak to old Mo, Fidget and Chrisgreen and the first Funster I met was Wildman; Proof if proof were needed that I'll talk to any old pik traveler. :Eeek:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I thought this was a great chance for my hubby to meet these 'funsters'. It wasn't going to happen!!!!
Maybe it's your AVATAR?? People with motorhomes are a tad adverse to large birds which may or may not s**t on their roofs, as your 'arses' comment may turn out to do........o_O

Deleted User
We have just been on the rally at Benicarlo, didn't know anyone, all very friendly had a brilliant time, even though I admit I wasn't as social as I would normally be as I was ill with a wound infection and then a cold which developed into a chest infection, still made really welcome even though didn't attend all gatherings.(y)

Lin

Ps now in camping playa de mazarron, Costa calida, if any funsters want to say hi, only slightly infectious now :eek:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
So far we have found most funsters to be friendly and like all walks of life a few who aren't our cup of tea as I'm sure we're not theirs.
One thing to remeber though just because we all like Motorhomes doesn't mean we will like each other and take away the Motorhomes and you might find nothing in common.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
@Popeye @FIDGET + anyone else coming to Hampshire. we were at the Blackknowl site last Saturday and Mother's Day, only the third time we have been out. Will let you know next time we are down that way. Have you seen the Theodore Roosevelt yet? Hells-funsters eh, what would that sticker look like I wonder?
Which do you fancy?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We were also at Benicarlo and met a lot of new friends - I think there is a misconception here - people who have spent the last three months together are almost certainly going to be closer - it may SEEM to be a clique - but it doesn't mean they won't welcome in new Funsters - if you take the trouble to 'get amongst them' as we did - they are all a welcoming bunch - if in doubt ask @Rory! We've done loads of meets in the UK and have never met such a friendly likeminded crowd - looking forward to the UK meets this year to meet a lot more! (y)

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Being new here never met anyone yet but the season is just starting. Did see a funster van on villasol last april but no one in when we called by twice.

Being from Yorkshire we are often misundersood as being tight (wrong, just careful) and brussen, (wrong again just outspoken). Takes all sorts we can't all get on with everybody, make friends and fun where you can. Simples.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Being new here never met anyone yet but the season is just starting. Did see a funster van on villasol last april but no one in when we called by twice.

Being from Yorkshire we are often misundersood as being tight (wrong, just careful) and brussen, (wrong again just outspoken). Takes all sorts we can't all get on with everybody, make friends and fun where you can. Simples.

You think that is a problem ? Try being a fat, bald loud mouthed Londoner !!!! LOL !!!!

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Of course there are cliques, it happens in all walks of society. A clique is simply a group of people who get on well together and to the outside observer they can appear to be a closed cell. I felt this during my first year of motor racing but I've never been known as shy and retiring so just marched in and introduced myself, I am now on the inside of those self same "cliques" looking out and I often see newcomers looking at us as a closed cell, I try to introduce myself and others to them to include them. I find the majority to be friendly once they've got used to my nature although I still hear people talking about groups of drivers as being different and "cliquey" depending on what type of car they drive, "single seater boys don't associate with tin top drivers" for instance yet I often talk to other drivers from all groups and the same goes for any branch of society.

Sometimes you need to be the one to start a meeting/conversation.

D.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The latter has happened to us as well - got completely blanked by someone on here when I introduced us, which was extremely rude.

However, having said that, we have made a lot of friends on here - Dawn is quite shy and slow to get to know people (I'm the noisy sod who will chat with anyone for wine) but nearly all Funsters are happy to chat. Some we like a lot; others are good acquaintances - but nearly everyone has time for a chat. The bigger rallies tend to split into small groups of friends but with such a huge number, that is inevitable. The smaller meets are brilliant, as is getting a few people together for an impromptu couple of days

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Those posh lot who have been to Morocco always look down on us ordinary folk but we know who they are because they have small dents all over their vans where the kids have thrown stones at them for being mean and not handing out cash/sweets/pencils/cocaine etc.

As for the Benicarlo lot... Pahh... They are almost as "exclusive" as the Benidorm mob.

The most friendly bunch of Funsters are the Fray Bentos Pie Dining Club. They always talk to anyone... especially if they have brought supplies from Blighty.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995

Pity you are at Pedros already, you more than likely passed my house, well if you came passed Seville into Portugal, junction 53 on the A49, could have called in for a beer and a chat. I am shy to start with, then.....four hours later......you wish you had kept going :D

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Such a sad post! Since joining Fun last September (when we got our first Moho) we have been on two meets already and have had the most amazing time...entirely because of the people we met. Missed a third meet at New Year due to me being poorly, but ridiculously excited about meets planned for this year! We have met exceptionally nice people through Fun. Agreed, some we took to more than others but I'll bet others would say the same about us! Roll on Chester is what I say! :party2:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back