Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Did a virtual book club ever take off? If so can I join in? If not, is anyone interested in having a virtual book club where we can all read the same book and then post thoughts, observations, likes and dislikes ... usual book club stuff without meeting up for coffee and cake.

Anyone want to suggest a book we could read in October?

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Always thought it might happen but not yet. It would be interesting though so don't give up you might get lucky. That said.. Funsters can read a four line post and come to different conclusions, let alone a whole book :)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
l read TtV ages ago but I still have it, I'm game to read it again and discuss... so long as somebody else provides the virtual coffee & cake
eating-cookie.gif

I'm a very slow reader though so don't expect anything soon Link Removed

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
l read TtV ages ago but I still have it, I'm game to read it again and discuss... so long as somebody else provides the virtual coffee & cake
eating-cookie.gif

I'm a very slow reader though so don't expect anything soon Link Removed

I'm happy to provide virtual coffee and cake! I was thinking a book a month but if it takes us longer to read so be it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Well, October starts tomorrow, so I'll see if I can dig TtV out & get re-reading!
Do you have a copy?
@Jim , are you going to be joining the discussion?
@movan , will you be coming along too?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
OK, so I'll start by saying that having read this book before (and seen the 2003 film ["docu-drama"]), I obviously know the story and the outcome, so I'm not coming at this fresh. But I'm keen to read it again because I think it's a book that has the potential to release layer on layer of understanding and empathy in its readers. I remember my first reading of it as being full of emotion and insight into what's often termed "the human condition" (which Wikipaedia defines as "the characteristics, key events, and situations which compose the essentials of human existence, such as birth, growth, emotionality, aspiration, conflict, and mortality.") Therefore I think the book exposes the reader to a range of social and human sciences: sociology, psychology, philosophy, etc, even spirituality.
I don't remember what I thought of the writing style, or the structure of the book, so it will be interesting to focus at least partly on this as well as to see the impact that a second reading has on me.

Decaff coffee please. White, no sugar. Ta :)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I wrote a novel, and sent it to my new agent. He promised to publish it, but never mentioned it again. :cry::cry:

Did he, Jim.........:(

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Ha! Found it! (y)
I see that the one Jim linked to has over 50 photos; mine's the original 1988 version and only has 3! oh - and it's on paper (much yellowed and quite dusty now :whistle:)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Well, October starts tomorrow, so I'll see if I can dig TtV out & get re-reading!
Do you have a copy?
@Jim , are you going to be joining the discussion?
@movan , will you be coming along too?

If I can get back to my computer in time and order one then definitely. My assessment won't be as professionally written as that of @CWH though ... but I will do my best. :)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
My assessment won't be as professionally written as that of @CWH though ...
Hardly professional Joy, more pompous I think! Whenever I write something half-serious it always comes out like this, even when I want it to be chatty :unsure: Too much time spent writing submissions, inspection reports, & theses, and marking essays :(

Anyhow: nearly time for (yet more) coffee - I'll put the pot on shall I? :)

Glad you're joining us! (y)

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Isn't that what a book club is all about! All different people, of all abilities giving their opinions. Some will no doubt be much more in depth than others, some more chatty but we can all learn something. Are you joining in @Tootles ? See if Jim changed anything from your original!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
The book sounds very familiar ... think I may have seen the film and vaguely recall the emotions is brought to the fore.. can't wait now .. hope I can get home in time to order and read it. :)

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
The book sounds very familiar ... think I may have seen the film and vaguely recall the emotions is brought to the fore.. can't wait now .. hope I can get home in time to order and read it. :)
There's no rush Joy, just let us know when you get started

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I've never been in a book club before, actual or virtual, so a question or two please @Allan & Loren about how it works:
  1. How do we make sure that our comments don't spoil it for other readers who might not have got so far into the book? (being totally selfish here - as I said, I'm a slow reader!)
  2. Unless we're all at a similar point, how do we manage a discussion as we go along?
  3. Or do we wait till we've finished?
  4. Do people come up with specific points or questions for discussion, like they sometimes do now at the end of books?
  5. Can we relate the book to our personal lives? or should we focus just on the content?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I've lost the plot, sorry that's what expending too much energy at the gym does for me :)

If it's joining for coffee, I'm in :)

Where do I place my order? :)
I'm doing the coffee this morning, how d'you like it? fried or boiled?
Hope you've had a shower though after your gym session, otherwise you have to sit outside.

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
@CWH We should plan to read a book a month so no discussions until the end of the month which should give everyone time to finish and means we won't spoil it for anyone. In a std book club you take it in turns to say what you thought of the book, the plot, the characters, the writing style, you can relate it to your own personal life and accomplishments, etc but in the 2 I joined there were the inevitable ring leaders who once they got on the floor never shut up so often others would not get their turn to give their opinion as we met for a couple of hours. Because this is a virtual book club that can't happen so I think it will be much better and we can all read and discuss each other's points properly. Before the end of the month we will decide what to read next and anyone can suggest a book so if you find a good one, post it on the thread and we will all decide. The great thing about a book club is it gets you reading things that you often would not choose yourself, so be open minded!

So for me only a couple of rules
1. No discussions until the end of the month unless we have all finished the book.
2. Everyone should be respectful of other people's opinions and not get into personal arguments only healthy, respectful discussions.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back