LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I wondered if you would like to contribute to a Google Map which could be used to share locations of points of interest such as parking places, campsites, places to visit and places to get food and drink for other Funsters.

If you use Google Maps to navigate, you should be able to use this map on your phone / tablet and get directions etc. while on the road. You may also be able to download them as POIs for your sat nav.

I have added a couple of sites in France and the Isle of Skye as examples.

The map is open to anyone using this link https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zsbOPnSffP5o.k35qxpTlQ8rw

If you would like to make an addition, navigate on the map to the location that you would like to add. Then, look at the menu called "Funster Map" which is generally on the left hand side of your screen. Left click with your mouse to the left of one of the three categories, "Sites of Interest", "Camping and Parking" or "Food and Drink". This will determine the category that your location will be added to.

If the point of interest already has a Google entry on the map, you can click on it and add it and "Save to map". Please add a description to help others understand what the location is for.

If not, look towards the top of the screen to see be a selection of icons including a hand and a tear-drop shape. Click on the tear drop and then click on the location that you want to add. You will get a new box appearing called "Point " something. Add a title and a description.

This new location will appear on the left hand side of the screen in the menu. You can then change the colour and the style of icon by clicking on the point on the left hand side menu and clicking on the paint pot and selecting a new colour etc.

Points can be removed by right clicking on them and then deleting. They can be moved by double clicking on the point on the map and moving them while keeping your finger pressed down on the left hand button of your mouse.

The map should save automatically and can be viewed by choosing "Funster Map" from "My Places" or "Maps" in the Google Maps homepage.

If you are using Android, this is easily viewed by accessing Google Maps via your internet browser. If you wish to use the Map App and cannot see the layers option to display the map, click here for a remedy: http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57593473-285/how-to-access-my-maps-on-android-after-google-maps-update/

Have fun :)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Nice one, added two places near me already and shall continue to add more in my area.

Rgds
Bill

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Thanks Bill.

Could I suggest that if you click on the campsites and camping layer area (to the left hand side of the screen), your car park locations will automatically be added to the Campsites & Parking layer rather than the Sites of Interest. This will help people when they are looking for places to go to - they can hide or display layers according to their needs.

Thanks for your inputs so far :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Have fun? Got a headache after adding Bourton, is it still there?

Edit: Can't get Bourton in the Parking section, keeps going into "Interests", but the French spots seems ok, ho hum.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Bourton-on-the-Water is there as is your addition for overnight parking in France. It seems to be impossible to move points from one layer to another but at least they are on the system :Smile:

Thanks.

Edit: To add points to a particular layer, click to the left hand side of the layer - such as camping and parking and you may notice a blue bar appear to the far left of the box - this indicates that this layer is selected and any additions to the map will appear in this layer.

Last edited:

Scarface GTti

Free Member
Aug 15, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I just get a blank screen at the moment but it does say Funster Map at the top so i'll perservere later but should this be a sticky or put somewhere so it doesn't get lost down the list with so many posts going on?

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hi Scarface,

the link goes straight to the map for me. What browser are you using on the web?

I can see two new additions - one in Northern Ireland and one between Manchester and Sheffied but as they do not have names or descriptions, it is not clear what they are for. Could they be edited?

Cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Hi Scarface,

the link goes straight to the map for me. What browser are you using on the web?

I can see two new additions - one in Northern Ireland and one between Manchester and Sheffied but as they do not have names or descriptions, it is not clear what they are for. Could they be edited?

Cheers

Don't know what they are but I've deleted them on my map but I suppose that's only on mine, something to do with cookies?

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Don't know what they are but I've deleted them on my map but I suppose that's only on mine, something to do with cookies?

They are gone now. As this is a shared map, any changes, additions, deletions etc will be seen on everyone's version of the map.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back